on 27 February 2012
I love this chess set - the fact that the pieces can be stored inside it when not in use, and it even has little elastic hoops to keep them in place. The set was really good value - it's well made, is nice and plain, and a great size. It looks like something our family will keep for ages. My six year old son is hooked!
on 28 June 2013
I bought this for my son's 6th birthday as he's been expressing an interest in learning how to play chess - anything to distract him away from electronic devices! As he's only six, I specifically looked for a chess board that folded and would store the pieces when not in use. This works wonders. It's a decent sized board for a beginner, and the quality is very good. Little elastic straps inside to keep all the pieces in place when it's packed up. I am really happy with the purchase - and my son has been playing with it every day since he got it a week ago!
on 15 March 2016
The fold up chess box/board was substantial and nicely crafted. The wooden chess figures were very good and mounted on soft felt at the base. The parcel was delivered on time and very well packaged. The purchase was a bargain at the price.
on 15 November 2011
I wasn't sure which one of the various wooden chess sets to buy for my 5 year old's first chess set and after much indecision I decided to plump for this one. It arrived yesterday and is fantastic. Really well built, nicely finished and a good size.

What I was really pleased about is a surprise that wasn't made clear in the description, that you can store the pieces inside and each one has a small elastic strap to hold it in place.

Great product and great value for money.

Let's hope my son enjoys learning to play chess :-)
on 19 June 2012
I bought this item from Amazon but the seller was Gadgets and Gifts Galore.
The item did not arrive as per the picture. The board is made from plywood and was damaged.

It was wobbly when opened up to play.

The board basically looks and feels cheap and is a rip off for the money I paid.

I returned this item as per the sellers directions but they never acknowledged receipt and I never got my postage back.

Avoid at all costs - this item and the seller Gadgets and Gifts Galore.

I would give this zero stars if the web-site let me.
on 16 November 2011
After much research, we bought this as a present for our 10 year old daughter, who's just getting into chess and loves the game. Decided to go for a reasonably priced starter set, but didn't like the ones with a printed board. This standard set is excellent value for money and has a beautifully inlaid wooden board which folds to store all the pieces. Although the pieces are slightly crudly carved, overall this set is great value for the price and our daughter said it was beautiful.
22 Comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 September 2013
This product was really good. It came in the best condtion. It was for my daughter and she really liked it. Thank You !
on 8 May 2013
I liked the fact that all the pieces are held securely when not in use, that it is easy to see if there is a piece missing.
on 30 December 2012
I bought this chess set for my nephew who is just learning to play. I also bought a book on how to play chess from Amazon. The set is good quality. The board folds up and has drawers to keep the chess pieces in. His uncle is a chess player and he was impressed with the quality of the board and chess pieces. Just the right size for a beginner.
on 7 October 2013
The chess set was bought as a gift. The recipient was over the moon with the quality of the pieces.