Customer reviews

on 21 September 2008
I'd never heard of Geraint Watkins till Mark Lamarr played "Unto You" and it stopped me in my tracks. This doesn't happen very often in these days of style over content. I ordered the CD on the strength of this song and I haven't been disappointed. This is a real gem!!!!! Easy to Say and My Love are such joyful tunes that they just make you want to dance. Champion is a gorgeous love song and the brass section gives it overtones of colliery bands and mountains. Unto You is sung with such passion that it brings tears to the eyes. There isn't a "filler " on this CD. The singing , the playing, the music , the arrangements are so coherent and masterful. This CD reminds us that music is transcendent and can make us more than we are.
on 23 February 2009
I saw Geraint Watkins sing Champion on Later, a brave choice of song as it's fairly laid back and gentle. It was compulsive viewing. Jools Holland obviously thought so as well from his comments afterwards. I immediately ordered the CD although worried that this would be the standout song. It isn't. There is terrfic variety, imaginative arrangements and subtle instrumentations. It really is like a breath of fresh air. It's the only CD I've got by him but if the others are only half as good I'll be happy.
on 20 September 2008
Always a suprise, always a delight. Geraint Watkins, arguably the UK's most underated singer/songwriter and performer has produced his finest collection of songs to date. Beautifully crafted, beautifully performed this album shows GW in a more sophisticated mood than his previous work. Songs such as 'Champion', 'Chagrin', 'Unto You' are classics and the opening track 'Easy to Say' is so catchy you'll find yourself wandering round with a little smile on your face and singing 'Bon Temp Rouler'to yourself before you realise. 'Champion' must be this years Xmas number 1, a real treasure this album, a must buy...!!!!!!
on 23 February 2011
No, they really don't. I think only Nick Lowe (obvious connection there) is the other artist who records in such a warm, 'studio-live' way. I loved Lowe's "At My Age" so it's not too surprising that this is the best album I have heard since. One baffling thing though... this standard version is more expensive on Amazon than the deluxe extended version which includes "We've Only Just Begun" and "Only a Rose" - two of the standout tracks. This is great music for grown ups.
on 17 December 2008
I am so happy to have discovered this melancholy masterpiece!!
It will become one of the essential records in my collection.
To compare is to destroy... so I won't get into that game.
But Geraint Watkins truly is a musical master with a huge heart.
My favorite track is "Champion".
on 5 February 2011
VERY HAPPY WITH THIS CD. A VERY GOOD MUSICIAN LIKE THE VOICE VERY MUCH WILL BE LOOKING FOR MORE MUSIC BY THIS ARTIST IN THE FUTURE
on 9 March 2016
This album has been around awhile,he has made others,and through default social media you can catch the man live and unretouched from his balmy Balham basecamp. Geraint was one of that coachload of artistes who raised the bar of London's pub entertainment palate in the early seventies.Lesser known than Lowe and Carrack but no less relevant over the long haul in that early phase of pub rock characterised by energetic yet melodic songwriting funded from the heart....and that's why this album will continue to lift spirits with it's fundamental formula of honest human emotion.You might find it by accident or it might find you by design.What would be a wheeze is if TV station London Live were to run a weekly feed from Garaintland and put it up against 'The Voice' .It might show people that songs of real life and experience chime more with Londoners than this months crop of earnest but hopeless clones of last year's diva brand tycoon's film theme remixes....these songs can right your wrongs !
on 21 April 2016
Wasn't quite what I expected but ok
on 24 August 2015