on 16 September 2009
Having eagerly anticipated this film set's arrival, I was left more than a little disappointed when I discovered how bad the packaging was. Although this is not detrimental to my viewing pleasure, I was rather miffed after having spent 75 quid or so, to find that the box was a flimsy cardboard construction that pretty much fell apart when opened.
That said, the films did arrive on time and in good condition themselves.

I haven't had the chance to watch all of them yet, but I was disappointed with the Innocents - described as the best ghost film ever! - and I feel that there are other noteworthy films from European Cinema's history that should have been included, such as those from Antonioni or Goddard. However, as I said, I have not watched them all and am particularly eager to see Luis Bunel's Tristana!

Overall, it is not a bad investment, but is quite pricey.
on 22 October 2008
I have to whole-heartedly agree with the review entitled "Budget price, budget content.,"

The box looks mighty nice in the picture above huh?
Well what you see is a thin paper-card black box, and you see that writing on the black box? Well when you unwrap your collection from it's plastic sealing you'll discover that is just a loosely attached piece of paper (it even flaps about on one side!).

On the one hand I'm getting a limited edition collection, plus I'm spending about £5 per disc at this price (which for BFI is a great saving!) ... but I'm a film lover, and a serious one, and everytime I take a slimline DVD case out of that tatty, flimsy black box a little piece of my soul dies and I mutter to myself "Why on earth did BFI discredit themselves with such a design?"

This has all the potential to be a great boxset with the films it boasts. But I don't feel the need to review the films here, instead I feel it more important to review that which you are actually paying for ... for me it was something special that when delivered transpired to be something of great crapness.

I am disappointed BFI and urge any serious film lover to wait till their 100th edition, maybe by then they'll take heed of these reviews!
33 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2009
I knew it was going to be flimsy but it still surprised how poor the packaging was. Also rather crucially the only one that has subtitles that work is 'The Innocents' which is in English anyway!
VINE VOICEon 6 October 2008
Although as another reviewer has noted these versions of the DVDs don't come with the extensive notes of the full price version, however this collection ended up being half the price for ten (truly) classic movies - a bargain even without the extra notes!
Apart from that it makes a great souvenir of the BFI celebrations this year - despite having a couple of the movies included I thought I'd treat myself to the box - and it's worth it.
on 12 September 2008
I am very disappointed with this set. The selection of films and the DVDs themselves are outstanding. My problem is the presentation and missing supplements. The DVDs are in slimline cases housed in a thin card sleeve. This means that the excellent, informative booklets which featured in the individual BFI releases of The Innocents, Regarde La Mer, Celine And Julie Go Boating, Distant Voices Still Lives and Tristana are all missing. For some reason the BFI have also removed the detailed sleeve notes from each film and replaced them with simple chapter listings and the new BFI logo.

What should have been a fantastic, celebratory box set feels more like a hastily assembled budget release. If you are interested in any of the films here I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a purchase of the individual BFI DVDs but I would give this cheap box set a miss.
on 4 October 2008
This box set's inadequate packaging - the outer box is flimsy - and its lack of literary accompaniments are both inevitable given that each DVD is weighing in at just over a fiver. Besides, these cost-cutting drawbacks can be turned into a positive; by focusing on content over presentation, the BFI immediately launches the buyer into viewing some extremely fine film. Pure and simple.
on 7 November 2008
Admittedly the BFI have cut corners with this set but what needs to be remembered are the quality of these films.No amount of illumination through sleeve notes etc can replace seeing these films for the first time without the benefit of "spoilers"- that can come later.
Partie de Campagne is Renoir's finest moment - a film of exquisite charm; Melville's Le Cercle Rouge is the equal of Le Samourai;Celine and julie is both beautiful and incomprehensible at the same time;Distant Voices,Still Lives is a poem to family in all its guises and The Innocents is the best ghost film ever made bar none.
Add Tristana, Les Dames du Bois...etc and you have a delightful set.Play.com and Moviemail have their own"exclusive" BFI boxsets and there are some lovely stuff on those but if you only buy one,this is the one to get.
To the earlier reviewers cheer up and get a life.It is only ever about the film itself everything else is just camouflage.
on 29 November 2010
This is really a great collection as it contains most of the films mentioned in the book "2001 movies you must see before you die".