on 10 June 2015
How time can age a film so bad that the essence of the whole film is lost in the, what can only be described by todays standard, rubbish. I loved this film when it came out but time has really made it a B movie.
on 25 March 2013
This is a classic scary movie about a little girl getting sucked into a television screen and the family hiring a psychic to help get her back!!! For any horror fan, this is a classic to add to the collection!!
on 17 June 2007
This was one of the best and most enjoyable concoctions I have ever seen. It was my first "X" rated horror I saw at the flicks and was absolutely mesmerised by it all!! It is about time this timeless classic came to Region 2 and not just the movie but a complete overhaul with redone 7.1 surround track and all extra special features including how they made it!!!I for one will purchase it the day it releases and view it twice in one go!!This movie was seriously good and maybe Spielberg should try and "DIRECT" a horror film himself - if he applies himself the way he has done to Sci-Fi, who knows what he may come up with!!
on 18 October 2014
Bought a few horror films to watch with my girlfriend throughout October and thought I'd buy Poltergeist seen as it is a 'horror classic' but what a disappointment it was. I really have no idea how this can be classed as a horror film. I understand it was made in the '80s and the special effects are somewhat outdated but the whole story just seemed ridiculous and had no consistency at all. There wasn't a single moment throughout that could be classed as scary. It was more of a comedy! Shocked Spielberg was involved in such a poor film but even more shocked that it has such a high rating on here. Maybe films like this were scary in the '80s bit certainly not now. I really wouldn't bother watching it if I were you... I'm just relieved I only paid a fiver for it!
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2015
Love this movie....I saw it when it first came out......(too many years ago to think about!)...my thirteen year old son found the effects a little tame obviously but he enjoyed it and I still love it!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2010
Bought this as not seen it for years, and it was every bit as
good as I remembered it, still made me jump in places ;o)

The little actress who plays Carol-Anne is fantastic for someone
so young, if you did'nt see it 1st time round or not old enough
to know it you should definately watch it, I'm sure you wont be
disapointed.
on 24 April 2003
I agree with the viewer from Cambridgshire; release of this film on DVD is long overdue and I am sure their are many other people who would wish to buy the DVD version to add to their collection of great Spielberg Movies.
on 10 August 2016
A true classic. Great picture considering the film is so old. Some of the effects look tame by today's standards but this doesn't detract from a classic movie.
on 1 January 2014
I am totally at the other end of the spectrum regarding an opinion of Poltergeist.

The one genre where American films usually fall down is the supernatural. This one hits a bulls eye collapse....... We know what to expect from reel one.

Supernatural events (even if combined with horror) are conjoured up by fear. Fear of the unseen and unknown. Unexplained atmospheres and instances that provide enormous feelings of uncertainty and dread. What have we here? A poor almost pathetic script. This combined with a director and production team having thrown every piece of their various areas of film learning into an undisciplined pot. (The proverbial ship without a rudder comes to mind)

All this with collapsing furniture, studio thunderstorms and gales, open mouthed women (and men)clutching each other and screaming trite phrases as they become rain soaked from head to toe.

Where Steven Spielberg was when producing this two hours of adolescent celluloid beggars belief. (Probably concentrating on his brilliant film E.T. released the same year).

A word of credit. The technicians and special effects team SERIOUSLY deserve full praise for first class expertise in their individual areas. Also a superb performance by "the lovable dog". Pity they were wasted on a film of dross from beginning to end.

David Turner (London) UK
on 10 December 2015
I first watched this as a young teen in the 80s. I got this to remind me of then and I wasnt disappointed. It was dispatched quickly and in good condition