Customer reviews

on 9 February 2016
One of the best of their albums. I cannot praise the melodies, composition and playing enough. Suffice to say this will not disappoint.
on 25 August 2015
All I can say is why the heck are this group not packing out stadiums.This cd is one of the best cd's I have heard in years.The contrast in songs is amazing .Loved this so much I ordered octaine cd and Anesthatize.Will keep me going for a while
on 1 October 2017
Amazing album! Just a pity the back of the case is cracked right across the back. I will assume this happened in transit. The disc is in perfect condition though and it arrived before it was expected, which was great.
on 15 February 2017
Great buy
on 28 April 2017
Arrived on time. The goods, second hand, were as described. No complaints.
on 3 May 2015
Few bands have their own sound. You can hear a Pink Floyd track, or The Beatles instantly know its them even if you didnt know the tune in question. Porcupine Tree are one of these bands. Their experimentation with sounds, instruments and FX has some how made this album sound timeless.
on 5 April 2005
Another month, and another batch of releases from the prodigious Mr Wilson, this the most recent from his long running, and criminally under-rated Porcupine Tree outfit. Hot on the heels of the excellent Dronework, released under his Bass Communion moniker, and the equally high quality Continuum Volume I (Continuum being a collaborative project between Bass Communion and Belgian soundscape artist VidnaObmana), the latest addition to the huge, albeit mostly deleted, Porcupine Tree catalogue does not disappoint. Quite the opposite.
The album is a masterpiece. Somehow this band, with the possible exceptions of The Sky Moves Sideways and Lightbulb Sun (though these are both excellent albums that should grace any music lover's collection) manage to keep improving with each release - an outstanding feat considering the consistent high quality of their output.
Based upon a film script written jointly between PT leader and multi-instrumentalist Steven Wilson and Mike Bennion (who directed the band's Piano Lessons video from the Stupid Dream album of 1999), the album is a complex and intelligent work of power and beauty. The undoubted highlight of the album, the centrepiece Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, clocks in at just over twelve minutes and flows between a smooth haunting beauty to an almost metal-esque structure and back without losing a sense of flow. The same can be said for the rest of the album, with harder tracks such as Shallow balanced out by mellower tracks like the excellent Lazarus and the emotive Mellotron Scratch. The switch in styles mid album is incredibly effective and in no way seems uncomfortable - the layout of the album is remarkably cohesive and well thought out.
Put simply, there is not a weak track, or even a weak point, on the album. With any justice, this should be the album that sees Porcupine Tree hit the major stage in terms of worldwide audience and success, although it is an almost predictable certainty that this will not happen, as the majority of the music buying public continue to follow the whims and demands of the moguls of the "music" industry. This is a crying shame, as it is the work of artists such as Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson that keep real music alive. I would strongly urge people with a love of real, intelligent music, of whatever style, to take a chance to discover this incredible band. I would challenge anyone to be disappointed with what they find.
This album should be in everyone's collection. Buy it now and let yourself be seduced by their finest album to date, and undoubtedly one of the releases of the year. Glory in its perfection! And struggle to consider how it may be possible for Porcupine Tree to improve on this master work for their next album!
Afterword - also keep an eye out for the forthcoming limited edition version that will be released on 26th April (coinciding with the general US release date of Deadwing) in hardback book format with 72 pages. Furthermore, on 10th May Deadwing, as happened with previous album In Absentia, will be released on the DVD-Audio format mixed into DTS5.1 surround and complemented by extra tracks. In the meantime, do not deprive yourself of this amazing album and buy the standard version today.
on 7 February 2015
This is one of my favourite albums of all time since I first heard it around seven years ago. The production is superb. It was recorded in the midst of the 'loudness wars' but the music here is not drawn from the limited toolbox of metal music. There is much subtle interplay and all the tracks are different from each other which is a feature of Steven Wilson's music. Gavin Harrison's drums are so warm and precise, everything has been mixed to the right place. This album is a compositional and sonic wonder! Stand out tracks on an album without a duffer: 'Start of something beautiful' and 'Glass arm shattering'. But, be warned this is not 'bubble gum' music. Listen, listen again from start to finish. Enjoy!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2007
This album is quite simply the best album of the 21st century. Porcupine Tree are the best modern band around (although Arena run them close). All their albums are superb AND THIS IS BEST OF THE LOT. A classic variety of Great songs. Sweeping prog, Rocking prog, Haunting Prog. Stand out tracks are...all of them. It's PROGTASTIC. Buy it!
on 8 May 2005
Ok, so first of all I'd bought In Absentia after hearing Blackest eyes, and I was very impressed by it...
I saw Deadwing in my local cd store and at first I didn't wanna pay for it as I was into a different sort of mainstream rock at the time.
So I got my girlfriend to buy it for me!
I decided to give it a whirl and homed in on the 2 singles, Lazarus and Shallow. Shallow immediately caught me with its catchy beat, and although Lazarus took a little while longer to get me swooning, after a few listens I soon found myself unconsciously singing it at work.
So I soon set about playing the rest of the cd, and that was it, it soon was repeatedly played in my car, at home, online, anywhere! Even got my girlfriend into a few songs (and she hates most of my music!)
*This is an absolutely stunning album!*
Track 5 especially is an absolute masterpiece, reminiscing the Pink Floyd animals sort of music. It lasts over 11mins and still u think it could go on!
Every track on this cd will move you in some way, either jumpin up and remembering u're alive, swinging the emotions back and forth, or just wishing you could crunch up the volume to levels worthy of a U2 gig!
This is a cd that will constantly find its way back into my heart I feel and I can't help but now feel thirsty for more porcupine tree music, old and especially, new!