on 12 July 2009
This is the second LG drive that I have bought from Amazon. My husband has one for his lap top and he has just bought another for my desk top. I do a lot of DVD-video making and therefore burn a lot of discs and I have found the LG drive to be very reliable and it produces perfect results time and again. I am no techno wiz so an external drive is great for me - no opening up the base unit! Simple to use via a usb socket and XP and Vista have it up and running in no time. The Nero software is only "essentials" so you may need to upgrade or buy other software depending on your needs. Overall very pleased with this great piece of kit at a competitive price.
on 3 May 2009
Some information for Mac users, none of the software supplied on the installation disc is Mac OSX compatible, other than a pdf file. To use Lightscribe, you'll need to download the installation software from their website, not the LG one, at [...] as well as the most basic lightscribe design/burn software. As far as SecurDisc is concerned, forget it. That software's only for Windows and frustratingly enough, Nero, who do it for their Windows burning software, (even though they produce burning software for Macs (Toast, which is hideously expensive)), don't do SecurDisc for Toast and Macs.
I had bought the rewriter just as a rewriter, but had hoped those extras would have justified the need for it, as it was something I wasn't desperate for, but to make use of the SecurDisc option as well as Lightscribe, would have been great.
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2009
Hardware seems fine, pretty rugged build, and have successfully written lightscribe disks with it, and performance seems roughly as good as an internal drive I have. However the included Nero stack is not great - has trial licence only for DVD viewing or DVD authoring , requiring upgrade for continued usage. Needed some fiddling to get Lightscribe working.
on 13 February 2012
Purchased this a short time ago as a replacement for an identical one that had gone wrong. The original was from PC World who were less than helpful when I returned the original unit still with 12 months left of the original 2 year guaranteeto run. They tried to fob me off by saying they were not a supplier merely a "re-seller" and so the 2 year guarantee was not applicable ! No replacement was available and a refund was refused until i threatened trading Standards and quoted the sale of goods act to them, several days and many phone calls later I got my money back.

However enough of this reminiscing.... back to the LG review.

Very easy USB set up and the drive was recognised straight away by my PC.

Not impressed by the bundled Lightscribe software as this did not install correctly despite several attempts. Got in touch with LG but they were not really interested and suggested I contact Cyberlink who's software it was !! Did that and got nowhere, they suggested I contacted LG so a case of being pushed from pillar to post !!
I was therefore forced to buy additional Lightscribe software in order to use the drive for the purpose for which it was intended.

The quality and make of Lightscribe discs seems to vary, some will burn a label without any problems, others cannot be read by the drive, so a bit hit and miss until you find the best discs to use. I found that Verbatim -R are good but Memorex also -R cause problems.

Only other issue was that the Drive came with a european 2 pin plug which I was not aware of, and consequently I had to cut the plug off and fit one to uk spec.

Hopefully, as Lightscribe is still a relatively new technology, this will improve and my nightmare scenario will be just a distant memory.
on 10 August 2009
This was bought as an update for the previous LG Writers I already had and used for a good number of years. This new writer has to date proved to be first class, as I expected it to be. I have no hesitation in recommending LG products of any description including TV's as being of excellent value for money.
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2009
Not much to say except it works well with my notebook and is a solid well put together bit of kit.

Impressive for the price.
on 12 March 2009
Looks good and does the job perfectly.Very good product and great value for money - the only downside is its Nero software - which is very poor and will give you headache if you do lots of data discs but if you will use different software LG is a great burner.
on 4 September 2009
Excellent value and a good compact product. A Fast DVD/CD writer, I highly reccomend this product.
on 28 January 2011
I bought this primarily for the light scribe facility. It was replacing a freecom unit which after a few years had failed. The set up was simple and it was up and running quickly. I had light scribe software with enhanced contrast already on my computer but the result with this writer was nothing short of terrible. I had to make the write twice to get it any where near the standard of my old freecom. If you want this for light scribe use then forget it. The results are a joke. Sent directly back to Amazon and now I suspect I will buy another freecom writer.At least I know that the image will be visible.
on 6 March 2011
Just plugged the LG GE20LU10 to my MacBook Pro (Mac OS X v10.6.6) via the supplied USB cable and power up the drive via the supplied power adaptor. Created a burn folder and added in files to burn (mostly video files). Put in a Datawrite 2.4x 8.5GB DVD+R DL and started burning. All burned fine and with no errors after burning around 15 DVD+R DL's.

My MacBook Pro internal DVD writer stopped working for Dual Layer DVD discs but still work with all other none dual layer discs i.e. DVDR 4.7GB, CDR, CDRW, DVDRW 4.7GB, etc. Now I am a happy customer.

See one answered question