Customer reviews

Paris [DVD] [2008]
Format: DVD|Change

on 4 September 2010
I bought this mainly for the purpose of keeping up my French and improving my daughter's knowledge of the language. Unlike your typical box office hits, there are no sensational special effects or high drama in this film (which, incidentally, do nothing for me anyway). It is, however, essentially a film about people and feelings. In that sense, it is typically French and would not cut the mustard outside that country. The beginning can be a little puzzling, trying to work out how each character is going to fit into this jigsaw, but as the film progresses everything falls into place. Although the ultimate ending is never revealed (will the lead character's heart transplant be successful?), the film does have a relatively happy conclusion. After watching the film it's hard not to spend a moment or two looking at one's own life and imagining what would be truly important if faced with life on a transplant list - family and friends. Overall, a truly thought provoking and enjoyable film.
on 2 December 2015
If you like Paris and enjoy observations on people you will enjoy this . Not a great story but lot's of good music . I've watched it several times .
on 18 March 2009
My wife and saw this film being advertised on the billboards in Paris last year but missed the opening...as it did not seem to be on general release in the UK we decided that it would bought as a dvd.
We are lovers of all things parisienne and this film captures the colours,the architecture and perhaps most of all the "quirkiness" of French filmaking...all the acting is top drawer and if you are at all a fan of Juliet Binoche add this to your collection...oh I forgot to mention the soundtrack! Stunning and mood capturing..

Ray Tough
Leeds
on 5 July 2009
Paris is a good number of disparate little stories that loosely intertwine. In some cases VERY loosely. There is a central thread running through the story of the two characters shown on the box. The man is sick and spends his time staring out of the window as in Hitchcock's Read Window. Sadly in this he seems to achieve little more than watching a pretty young female.

Its strength is in the characters it creates and the little observations that are spun on them. The amazing visuals of Paris are shown often and add a huge amount to the success of the film.

There's a good film in here trying to get out but the director has tried to be too clever, weave in too many little stories and the film often gets lost in a muddy mess.
VINE VOICEon 6 April 2009
There's a lot that can be said about Paris, the city; it's great historical buildings, the landmarks, excellent new and exciting architecture, music, art - really I could go on. OK Paris isn't perfect, it has all the problems of the other capitals, but it's the historic architecture that really makes Paris what it is today, from what it started as, a small village, which has now sprawled into a 20 arrondissent city.

As I have said, Paris isn't perfect, and Cédric Klapisch sets out to show us why, in a very complex - multi persona movie, which can make you dizzy if you loose your place. The lead, Pierre (Romain Duris), is a young dancer who has got a serious and devastating heart condition; he's looking for a donor, but it's only got a 40% chance of working. His sister, Élise has decided to help him (played by Juliette Binoche (Les Amants Du Pont-Neuf)) and helps him with day to day things.

On the other side of Paris, we mainly see people's lives, like an architect, a young student, and a father who's dealing with a loss. But in Cameroon, we see a guy making his way to France.

This film is terribly complex, but very good. I watched it twice, once to get the gist, the second time to actually enjoy the film, so it does have a great come back to factor. Both Binoche and Duris show great potential, but sometimes Duris doesn't seem to be as occupied with the problem in hand, and it feels a bit dreamy - though sometimes people with a life-threatening disease do go into dreams, mainly due to pain or just so the mind can get away from the real issue.

The cinematography is just breath taking - this film has some of the best shots I've seen in ages of Paris, and really did take my breath away. Christophe Beaucarne should have won an award for this work. Even the duller scenes in the factory with the ugly graffiti on the van looks glorious - and I love the 3D world created during the middle of the movie.

This DVD isn't bad, I have to give credit to Optimum/Canal Studios for putting the English subtitles as separate entities - REALLY annoys me when studios think everyone in the UK cannot understand French, it's patronising, but thankfully the team have made it possible to turn them off! Well done guys, please, keep this up!

We're also treated on the audio front: 3 tracks in total, 2.0, which is pretty good, 5.1 and 5.1DTS, which is well mixed and is more expanded. Some people may argue this is gimmicky, but I like the option to watch this on 2.0 on the portable, and then 5.1 DTS on the big TV. Plus through my good speakers this is clear as a bell, I feel like I'm watching this for the first time when it was filmed on location.

Shame there are no other extras on this UK release, hopefully the French DVD has much more on it, I still have to investigate this.

I can't sing the praises high enough for this movie and the DVD, it's glorious and well presented, the dark scenes look fantastic, and the light scenes even better. Now all you need is a quiet moment where you won't be disturbed - and enjoy the marvel which is Paris.

5/5 on all fronts - except for the extras - BUY it!
on 11 February 2010
At one time, I would never have bought a Foreign Film, but the French Films are usually very thrilling. Although Paris is not a Thriller, it is a truly beautiful film about Life & Death. Wonderful Actors and a good storyline. This film is well made and you become so wrapped up in the story, that you forget that you are watching a Sub-Titled film. A good buy.
on 27 March 2011
Paris is a superbly cast film with Juliette Binoche as the sister of the ill Pierre (Romain Duris). Pierre spends his last days on his balcony viewin the people of Paris below, whose lives we as viewers come to know and view during the film. It's about Paris the city of Lights, and the people who inhabit it. It's a web of different stories, about very normal people and the lives they lead. It's beautiful. Subtitled for those whose French is not so fluent!
on 14 November 2014
This is a superb film, with a large cast, a number of storylines, great acting, directing, editing, cinematography, music ... and a setting that happens (mostly) to be Paris.

Unless I have missed the point I didn't feel that Paris the film was specifically about Paris the city. In terms of the general themes of the film, it could perhaps have been set in other cities or towns and not necessarily in France.

The whole cast give excellent performances and, given the intertwining storylines that occur it is sometimes tempting to want more of one character and actor or actress and story than another, but I never found myself wanting less as this for me was a very engaging film. I have only watched it the once so far, but I think it is a film that on repeated viewings I would gain something more each time.

I would recommend this film to anyone who appreciates a well made, multi-faceted film with high production values, and this one happens to be set for the most part in Paris.

On the DVD you get:

The film Paris (2:04)
Scene Selection
Set-up
Optional English Subtitles
on 14 October 2011
I actually liked this film which was a surprise as I was getting a bit bored with French films but this was another of the French Films I purchased for my A level French daughter to listen to and hear the French language being spoken. Watched once for the gist of the story then again to actually hear and understand the French being spoken.
on 17 July 2017
God awful beginning meant I just could n't stick with it. And I always like to give a film the benefit f the doubt. Save yourself some time and rent something else.