Customer reviews

Fluval Water Polishing Pad for 305/406 (6 pieces)
Size: 304/305/306/404/405/406|Change

on 17 December 2013
I've always used these polishing pads in my 305 filter along with Opti-Carb, carbon, biomax and other media, and the job they do is amazing. As well as the 305 external, I also have a U4 internal filter and still the amount of muck these pick out as a result of my two fantails is incredible. It is like an easy way to pick up/throw away pure mud when it's time to change them.

The only reason I haven't given 5 stars is I find when they are dirty/ready for changing they can substantially reduce the flow of the filter almost to nothing; in the beginning I almost lost my boys to this because I couldn't see the reduced water flow in the tank and so thought my filter was functioning normally. But basically it's then like switching your filter off and the water quality rapidly deterioriates. I solved that issue by taking some good advice and putting a plant into the flow that moves about, so I can now see any impact. But even with this issue, I wouldn't take them out and be without them - whilst it makes you pay attention to your filter regularly, for goldies that's no bad thing. And I always look at the mud trapped in them and think without them, all that would be in the tank with my poor boys.

My advice is these are a means of keeping beautiful sparkling water for conscientious fish keepers who properly maintain their filters/water quality. But if you're buying them because you're lazy with your water and filter care and think this would be a good way to buy you further time between changes I'd advise against them. If you're not good on your tank/filter maintenance you'll be more likely to miss the reduced filter flow, which could rapidly be fatal to your fish.

Personally, I couldn't be without them (and I think my boys would say the same thing!)
on 18 October 2015
I bought this filter to replace my juwel internal system, it was very easy to assemble and is quiet when running, I watched guides on you tube to help with the assembly. One thing I have done is to buy polishing pads and extra media to help get the water crystal clear
review image
on 11 August 2016
It's amazing how well polishing pads can clear the water in an aquarium however they do get clogged up easily and frequently need replacing. Make sure you put them in the last stage of the filter after everything else to prolong their lives and don't leave them in for too long or they will begin to inhibit the flow of your filter. If they're not too clogged you can rinse them out and you can see by the colour of the water which comes out when you rinse them how well they really work.
on 9 June 2017
These pads are nice and thick and good quality. Polishing pads are very important in any filter. They can be cut to size, or even ripped into two individual pieces. These ensure no debri goes back into your aquarium.
on 25 February 2013
As I'm sure anyone reading this will know, these pads will also fit the new 106/206 range. They help strain out finer particulate matter within the filter, but I do find that to get the best out of them they need to be replaced frequently. This of course disturbs the filter canister and can add detrius back into the tank, negating the good they do - either change very frequently or very occasionally to get the best results in my opinion.
on 15 June 2017
Works so much better than some of the cheaper alternative
on 9 April 2015
Does what it says and polishes the water making it crystal clear, would not be without, delivery was quick and they came packaged very well, would recommend to anyone who uses fluval external filters, would recommend.
on 17 August 2017
just right for me filter no more cutting
on 28 January 2018
prompt delivery, product as described
on 23 August 2017
The best for doing this job.