on 4 August 2017
I have reviewed this film elsewhere, but can only add I found this entire film well worth watching & having subtitles emphatically did not detract from it at all. The acting and directing standards are extremely high, with a touching storyline. Cinematography & general effects commendable. If you are into war movies, then this will be compelling viewing, I feel most sure.
on 17 May 2017
Think the beach scene from SPR, but all the way through!
on 7 August 2017
ok
on 13 April 2017
Brilliant happy with purchase
on 28 July 2017
excellant
on 14 August 2017
Superb gripping and emotional film.
on 29 July 2008
Korea 1950.Two brothers are press ganged into the army after the North invade the South.The elder is determined to protect the younger but he becomes a fierce fighter and with history and honours beckoning the man becomes beast.
Framed a la Saving... by a contemporary beginning and end,Brotherhood is a broad,heartfelt and ferocious piece.Outdoing Ryan with epic combat sequences that are utter carnage the director Kang Je-Gyu(who also scripted) captures the confusion and the insanity of war with startling clarity.
Overwhelming at times and not without flaws - a contrivance too many and a final battle that is a little too like greek tragedy,Brotherhood works through it's sheer visceral nature(one scene where a crazed soldier starts shooting his own is hard to watch) and a heartfelt depiction of sibling love(both brothers are first rate).
Critcism from other quarters seems harsh to me(enjoying"world cinema" isn't just an exercise in being condescending and intellectually detatched,we all like a bit of the wonderful Alain Resnais and Jean Cocteau but not Scorcese's overblown and ponderous remake of the superb Infernal Affairs)and being manipulated emotionally for something as stirring as this seems a fair trade off to me.Anyway everyone knows that a good war movie is the male tearjerker(apologies to all ladies who enjoy war movies)
Highly recommended.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2006
This movie is a great reminder to those of us sitting snug at home to remember how lifes can change with a war and how war can change people. A gut wrenching climax, amazing action and effects, its platoon and saving private ryan without the hollywood slant
on 4 September 2015
Hard to tell one Korean from another..lots of battle scenes but spoilt as you have to watch subtitles.
on 3 July 2009
This is the very first Korean film I've ever seen and if this is anything to go by then I'll be looking for more.

I not only thought that this was a great film, but I can honestly say that I too think that it's the best I've ever seen and yes I've got films like Patton, Hamburger Hill, Saving Private Ryan etc etc.

I can not believe that a film based on a true story can have someone turn around and say that it's cliched or that they've seen it all before, if that's what happened then how else are you supposed to depict it?, make it up?, some people are so stupid it's unbelievable!!!

Right that's that out of my system back to the film, it's called brotherhood as the film follows 2 Korean brothers who due to their ages are forced to join the Korean army fighting for what is now South Korea.

The film is set over 3 periods of time, just before war broke out, present day and wartime itself.

I was very impressed with the acting of the 2 male leads, the cinematography and the various ways that you see the soldiers get killed/maimed, it's all very realistic and has a great and very human was of telling the story of the bothers.

This is a very real war film in every sense showing you the quiet times, conflict between the sides both verbally and physically, it depicts the struggle of friends and family who find themselves through no fault of their own literally fighting against one another.

I could not recommend this enough I knew I'd like the film after watching a trailer, but I next thought that it would be as good as this, I'm very pleased to say money very well spent!!!