on 28 August 2008
I have never played ANY Ratchet and Clank Games before,but i took a gamble and purchased this little gem last week.It is a great game.The graphics are really excellent,the different enviroments and planets that you visit are very large..with lots to see and do,plus you can generally find something to smash up within the envioments.The Puzzles in the game are not too tough,and with a few attempts you can master them.There is lots to see and do throughout the game,plus the makers have also included sub menus and some really diverse challenges.The weapons selection is awesome...to many to list here,you can upgrade your weapons throughout the game,and once upgraded they can really punish your enemies.I have given this Game 5 Stars as i think all round that it is fantastic value for money,easy controls,absorbing storyline,and most importantly LOTS of Fun and enjoyment and superb value for money which is what a great game is all about.This game will appeal to all age groups.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2008
This has to be the best platformer around! It improves on everything since Ratchet and Clank 3. The graphic are amazing as is the gameplay. It also makes good use of the Sixaxis controler.
The gameplay is similar to the other Ratchet and Clank games (apart from Gladiator) and fans will instantly feel at home. The environments are very impressive as are the weapons and gadgets!
Children and adults will enjoy.
on 20 October 2008
I have never played a ratchet and clank game before, but this is truly awesome. On a HD TV the graphics are the best I have seen on any game! It is simply stunning. The gameplay is first class and a good mix of being challenging but not frustratingly so. Its humour is great too, with many laugh out loud moments (especially when ratchet our hero has to disguise himself as a pirate and dance like a pirate!) and some of the gadgets at Ratchet's disposal are superb like a groovitron which sees the baddest of enemies having to dance uncontrollably instead of attacking you! Everything about this game oozes class and I cannot believe how low it is in price either. A bargain that will provide you with days and days of addictive gameplay, its a big old game!.....10/10
on 11 August 2015
My son asked for a specific Ratchet & Clank game that he had played as a demo. As that was at 'just released' price, he wasn't getting that. I bought this as an alternative as it had good reviews and this was really well priced as a used game graded as very good condition, from a supplier I have used many times with no problem. Came quickly and was as described. My son was really pleased. I asked him what he wanted me to say before writing this review, he said it was his favourite game that he has played (that includes Minecraft and several Lego games). He is 10 yo. He's had it nearly a month now and not yet completed it (he is restricted on screen time even if it is the Summer holidays).
on 18 September 2011
Tools of destruction

I have owned all of the Ratchet and Clank games and this one being the first I bought for the PS3 I was expecting greater graphics and wishing for a similar super funny adventure story, and I was not disappointed.

As soon as the game starts with Ratchet and Clank on top of a building remodelling transport you can already tell the intricate details and a stunning graphic enhanced environment and proceedings simply get better from there. Captain Qwark looks rather strange I'll admit at first!

Having Qwark inevitably adds priceless comedy value to a story that is otherwise lacking in strong direction and humour. The villain cannot be taken seriously in any situation sadly. The humour at making him appear as a soft villain and a grumpy childlike mastermind does not come across too well. However the final boss against him is quite tricky and beautifully designed on a rock in space.

As with every Ratchet and Clank game there are new weapons and gadgets to enjoy. The best weapon I personally found was the Raptor launcher which allows accurate targeting. There is a tornado launcher which you control by tilting the remote. Tricky at first but thoroughly enjoyable later!

The remote is used an awful lot actually which has its good and bad points. There are pirates involved heavily in this story and to enter certain rooms you must "dance a pirate jig" meaning you must tilt the remote certain ways in order to gain entry. Slightly amusing but incredibly quick and hard to pass on occasion.

The great thing about this game is like all other releases from PS2 there is always plenty to do. Collecting bolts, exploring the scenery looking for hidden items, upgrading weapons and fighting different bosses all combine for a good entertaining experience. If not quite as strong as Ratchet Gladiator there is plenty of fun to be had and even though the play is harder all round, it is still very enjoyable.

The story ends quite sharply and leads into "Quest for Booty" a short game which I have not played and have instead jumped straight into "A crack in time" which I have to say is great so far and is easier, funnier and sharper than this release.

8/10
on 21 January 2010
I bought this game as Christmas present for my 5 year old and he absolutely loves it. I usually play it with him as some of the puzzles are a little advanced for his age but he is fine with most of the battle scenes.

I am really impressed with this game, the HD graphics are superb and I always get the feeling that a great deal of thought has gone into crafting each level. You can collect an array of very cool weapons including a disco ball that inspires your foes to dance instead of fight. The plasma beast is my sons' favourite, although the shard reaper and Mr Zurkon are also very impressive.

If you like the look of this game, then buy it as you won't be disappointed.
on 15 January 2012
I'm very happy with this product. It arrived on time. It's in excellent condition, the game is fun and definitely worth the money. I'm very pleased with this product and a happy customer. Would recommend this game and this seller to anyone :)
on 6 March 2011
I was ordering a Kindle and my husband felt left out. He had brought a PS3 a couple of weeks before so I said I would get him a game. Many years before he had a PS1 with a Ratchet and Clank game so thought we would order this one. He has told me to say the game is wonderful. So I am downstairs with my Kindle and he is upstairs on his PS3, what bliss.
on 2 February 2010
This game is great, the graphics are brilliant, but i must point out that it lacks the substance that the third game in the series has. Nevertheless it was still very enjoyable.
on 23 September 2009
After the Ratchet and Clank series moved to the Playstation 3, I was irritated because I didn't have one. I literally ended up buying a PS3 so I could get this game. I recommend you start with the very first one on the PS2 before trying this one. My personal favorite was Ratchet and Clank 2: Locket and Loaded because of the length of time it took to complete and the variety of weapons available. To be honest, the weapons on Tools of Destruction arent that inventive (although they do make good use of the 'Sixaxis' controller for the Tornado / Typhoon launcher). On the PLUS side: They have brought back the Flame thrower from the first one! Other weapons are quite similar, I miss the tesla claw which would zap a shock of lightning between enemies. Weapons also dont upgrade as far past VX (Version 10) with omega in 'Challenge Mode' (When you play through it a second time)

In this game you collect rarritanium crystals like you do bolts, scattered around and it is used to buy weapon upgrades. But once you have bought all upgrades and the Golden Groovitron (Used to make enemies dance) you havent got any real use for rarritanium any more. Hint for if you buy the game and wonder what the 'Holoplans' are for and have a missing space in the weapons screen: Collect all holoplans and take them to the Smuggler on the Jurassic Planet. He will assemble the RYNO IV - a pretty decent weapon.

Insomniac usually makes their games perfectly functional but this one has a few annoyances (not serious enough to make me lower the rating and an extensive list of positives would easily tip the scale!):

> You can't zoom in very far on the map (Select button)
> Gold bolts are incredibly easy to find and acquire
> Skill points are awarded for much simpler things
> You cant fire at random passing ships any more (in the distance)
> The game is shorter again, if in challenge mode you can basically complete the game in a couple of hours if you skip cinematics. As said in other reviews I have read; it doesnt have as much 'replay value' but the story line is good despite being a bit short.

Here are some of the positives that particularly caught my attention:

> Graphics are very good and so is the sound quality. (Have you PS3 output on the correct setting!)
> You have a variety of new gadgets which are very interesting and one allows you to fly around levels (Robowings)
> There is a Gelatonator which sucks up and fires green slime which you can bounce on
> The cinematics are more humerous.
> The weapons can be quite fun once they are upgraded.
> There are two places - one is a Jurassic Planet and has huge alien dinosaurs which you can climb on and another is a meteor which has blue reflective ice and crystals all over the place. Both of these looked fantastic. I spent more time observing the scenery and artwork than playing that level.
> there are many other positives but too many to list.

Overall: This is a must have for the Playstation 3! A* Good Luck.

See one answered question