Customer reviews

Rambler
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 April 2015
The countrified tone which is always in his work does not sit comfortably with Wheeler's haunting sound. A good idea but unfortunately didn't work for me.
on 22 June 2015
Very enjoyable cd. I find Bill Frisells earlier music more dynamic.
on 5 June 2011
I cannot praise this album enough. The first track establishes such a weird soundworld - a jazz ensemble of drippy, trippy guitar, trumpet, drums - with an electric bass AND a tuba for the bass! And then the second track is kinda funny, that is, humorous. But when you get to the third track, Rambler, you realise that you are actually listening to something truly astonishing. The melody here is so wonderful, the playing so sweet and humble and divine. You really do need to get on your cardiovascular machine and go floatin'. It's an oceanic experience, a bliss - and you can only really experience this feeling by first listening to the quirkiness of the two preludes that come first. When I listen to this I see all the colours and I experience all the feelings. I am so happy that I found this album. You remember when Messiaen described Turangalila as the kind of joy you can only discover after coming through a period of total desolation? Well, it's like that. Ok, let me try to explain. Imagine driving towards a rainbow that is illuminating a little woodland. It's a summer evening and the golden light is contrasted against the black sky ahead. But as you drive closer you realise that the rainbow is not receding into the distance, nor is it fading. Rather, it's getting closer and it's getting brighter! And then, as you move into the fourth track, 'When we Go' - a happy, hippy hymn - you actually realise that you are driving UNDERNEATH the rainbow. You look up, because you are in a convertible with the roof down, and you see the rainbow rising above you, like the supporting columns of a dome in heaven's temple. Look at those colours! Solid colours! Curving into the firmament above you. This is an album that may be best listened to on vinyl. I am going to have to find a copy. After this we move to track 5 - Resistor - and again we move into a king of agitation that is infused with humour. This is ECM jazz gone all Sufi. We are whirling now on this joyous craziness - that pumping tuba, Paul Motion doing his drum dance...Kenny Wheeler wheeling in. I live in a state of utter temperance, although I drink coffee, but I bet you think I have taken something, right? Well, no. All I have taken is this album. This is One of the Greatest Albums Ever Made! Am I bipolar or something? In fact, no. I am just in love with this music! At this very moment I am supposed to be working late into the night and bedtime is approaching. But do I care? No, I'm dancing - dancing and typing. You really need to buy this album. Don't download it! Do you think the karma is going to be right if you do that? No, we are in the realm of the spirit here. Then we move to the penultimate track, Strange Meeting. This is our moment of moody, active rest. There is a solo here by Bill Frisell that squares up nicely to that famous one by Pat Metheny (although lacking the key change! Tee hee!) This penultimate track is nearly over and I can't remember what the last one will be like because I haven't heard the whole thing since last summer when I was painting a ceiling. What will it be like? It's called Wizard of Odds and it's the dark horse of the album. Perhaps when the character returns to the US at the end of Local Hero this is the sort of doleful conclusion that he experienced. Yes, the album moves into something much darker at the very end. How do we resolve this? Simple! Go back to side A and play the thing again! It's circular, see?