on 26 August 2012
I've used this capture card for a wide array of uses, and it hasn't let me down in terms of quality or compression with its software.
Where it has let me down however, is that if I plan on using anything other than its proprietary recording software, or Adobe Premiere, it won't cooperate very well. I prefer to use Sony Vegas as well as a bunch of different software, and sometimes I do live streaming webcam sessions of my Xbox 360 and other gaming devices, using this device as a webcam requires "fixes" at best.
If you only plan on using this card to record sources through its own software, or plan on using Adobe Premiere, you're good to go. If you plan on using any other software, or using the card as a webcam, you're going to have a bad time (+points if you got the joke).

So what if you're happy just doing simple recording with its in-house recording software, and you don't want to do anything fancy. Will this be ok for you?
Make sure you have a fast enough hard drive. I bought this when I was using a very basic Sata hard drive (do NOT use an IDE speed hard drive with this capture card), and even on low quality standard definition of 480p, my hard drive wasn't writing/reading the data fast enough to record devices without dropping frames. If you want a stellar recording experience, make sure your hard drive rpm is a good 7200rpm, and make sure you get good bandwidth with the read/write speeds. Anything under 100mbps will severely increase the chances of dropping frames, even on low settings.
Assuming you have good hardware, I've never replaced this card and I have the feeling it will carry me into another good 4/5+ years of video creation for what I do.
This product seems to promise to do a lot but the reality is very different. It does capture certain resolutions very well but that is it. 1280x720p@50 1280x720p@59.97 1280x720p@60 for HDMI and standard PAL/NTSC interlaced for component input. I once got 1920x1080i@60 half-working: the first interlaced frame was shown in the top half and the second interlaced frame in the bottom half. :( The original purchase had a hardware fault and this was returned under RMA direct to Black Magic Design in the end - getting that far was not easy as the support desk had little to no clue about their own product. Interlaced capture using their JPEG algorithm (the bundled Media Express software) produces mis-aligned interlaced frames forcing the user to capture in raw format = huge, huge files. Remember that the product does not support HDCP and almost all HDMI products now force HDCP upon you. This makes their HDMI capture near useless too. I happen to have some old DVI-D output and a dumb DVI-D->HDMI cable and can capture that way but active converters from analogue signals will output HDCP. A disappointing purchase but fills a tiny gap I didn't have before.
on 30 January 2014
This card does as advertised however is a bit buggy when trying to input or ouput audio (never got it working, had to resort to motherboard audio in and out)

Also crashes avid when creating Title/Marquee's and occasionally just generally crashes avid. Also lags during long plays of sequences. All of this can be avoided by turning off the black magic in AVID but this is not a good work around
on 13 November 2017
Fantastic product.
on 25 January 2012
You need to buy the correct Motherboard for this to work, but when the correct pairing is made its a dream to use. Worth looking up forum help sites before buying to try and see if your Motherboard is suitable. This is time consuming but a necessary evil I'm afraid.

I am now on my second upgraded gaming PC and it still works fine. Would not use anything different
on 22 February 2013
easy to install, good product, comes with all the outputs needed,a little expensive but does what I req it to well
on 14 July 2015
Works flawlessly with Cubase pro 7.5 and 8. set up instructions could be clearer however.
on 20 May 2015
Never worked with my Avid media composer. Waste of money. Do not buy.
on 9 November 2014
Great quality, super easy to install!
on 20 April 2012
I was very suprise by the speed delivery. By the comments of (9) user, i was bit unsure to buy for that product. I am a independendt video grapher and adobe user.My computer ( I7, Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard ). very easy set up PCI card, but for adobe cs5.5 user, there is function, need to set up, i had to asked to one of my friend who is media specialist and my media file is AVCD file sony format. Finally, result was superb on my hd real time TV screen while my editing. I am really recomend to someone who want to buy this prouct for budget video editor like me.

for adobe user,
there is 3 step need to do
(1) down load the latest program from blakckmagic.
(2) set the format in Blackmagic Design Control Pannel.
(3) And premiere pro, project setting in sequence setting, choose revelent file