Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 February 2014
I agree wholeheartedly with Mrs V Biggs and wish I had taken note of her review. The songs are quick, short melodies sung by some obscure Scottish 'Pals' band and lack any emotional involvement or atmosphere for the Great War. It's a bit like listening to supermarket Muzak or akin to the old Black & White Minstrels, even the poems lack depth from the narration and, although obviously have affected some listeners, didn't affect me as such poems should do from those tragic times. I was probably taken in a bit by the excellent cover but given it two stars because there are two CDs.
on 31 August 2013
I bought this to help me give a talk to residents in a local care home, but I'm not going to be able to use it. Most of the songs are sung by a group calling themselves 'The Scottish Pals Singers'. They sound third rate and race through the first section of 'soldiers trench songs' at a disappointingly fast pace, on average each song lasts 40 seconds.
on 5 February 2009
This Greentrax double cd is a fine and fitting tribute to those who fought and died in the Great war and all those other conflicts since. The Soldiers' songs on the first disc are full of humour and humanity. The songs on the second disc by recent song-writers are pwerful and reflective.
Very well done all at greentrax involved in this production.
on 30 March 2009
What a wonderful CD. It is incredibly moving as it brings home the reality of WW1 in music. I have to say there are a couple of tracks where I was almost in tears they are so moving and I would not class myself as a particularly emotional type. Fantastic album, get it, it is worth it.
on 25 February 2014
Would have been more enjoyable if song lengths had been full length. one or two verses, 20 secs to a minute on most tench songs a disappointment.
on 10 August 2014
I can't agree with the poor reviews some have given this. It contains a large quantity and range of material, well and clearly sung, lyrical and moving. It's true that the early soldiers' songs are short and sung quickly but to me that reflects the optimism of the early stages of the war. Well worth buying (and very reasonably priced).
on 30 January 2012
I bought this after seeing the stage show. A very poingnant, moving album.
Though told from a Scottish perspective, the horror of war is universal.
I would recommend this.
on 1 June 2011
this has to be one of the best cd s of its kind. and the second cd in my opinion has to be the best of the best on this subject
on 17 January 2016
this is the second time I have bought this cd and if anyone wants a cd that brings this conflict tolife its this one,i highly recommend it ,,the first disc is realy well done and brings the soldiers songs to life,,the second disc is amazing a cry every time a hear those songs,,so look no further than this disc for not only understanding ww1 but realising the suffering and sacrifice that war brings /hugh
on 15 May 2014
I bought this album, having seen it performed live, in Glasgow, as part of the "Celtic Connections" festival. It's not the type of music I would normally listen to, however, the live performance was so powerful that this album now evokes strong emotions. The contrast of some beautiful songs, set against the horrors of World War I, is quite moving.