Format: Audio CD|Change

My first impression of The Script's debut album during the first listen was that it was perfectly nice music, rather reminiscent - at times - of Coldplay as well as polished American AOR acts such as John Mayer and Five For Fighting. After the album had finished I thought that, while it was obvious that there was a certain amount of talent on display throughout their self-titled debut, it wasn't really anything particularly special. After a few more listens, however, I slowly discovered a little more of this Dublin-based three piece's appeal. Lead singer Danny O'Donoghue has a good voice which reminds me a little of Sting on certain songs, especially on 'Rusty Halo', a track which, strangely enough, has echoes of 'Ghost In The Machine'-era The Police on it.

Their lyrics are generally very good, even excellent at times, and tell often familiar stories without falling into the trap of cliché, but there isn't much here in terms of the music which has much in terms of innovation - there isn't a single track on the album which you would be able to claim was truly original. Also, on the whole, the album is a little too slick and, at times, the music feels like a carefully manufactured product which, based on the acts who have sold exceptionally well there, will probably sell them bucketloads of records in the USA, but I think the discerning and not just casual music fan may not find enough on this album for it to have a special place in their heart or collection.

To surmise, it's all very good, decent music which is probably a lot more pop than rock - I certainly wouldn't describe it as 'indie' music - and, don't get me wrong, I do like it, but there isn't enough on this album for me to love it. The picks of the album, for me, are the classy 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved', 'Rusty Halo', 'If You See Kay' and their debut single, 'We Cry'. Oddly enough, it's on the bonus track 'Anybody There' that they've come closest to producing a classic song. These guys have talent and they have bags of potential but I can't help feeling that if, musically, they concentrated less on making their songs sound commercially appealing and more on expressing the emotions contained within the lyrics via the music then they'd be able to make an album more representative of their ability.
33 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2008
As other reviewers have pointed out, this album doesn't break any new musical ground. Rather, The Script fall firmly amongst a host of current rock-pop favourites - think Maroon 5, Keene, The Fray, Snow Patrol, Coldplay etc

If you find such bands too polished and 'bland', then this album probably isn't for you. But if you like well-crafted, polished and melodic songs, toe-tapping riffs, some nice harmonies, the occasional thumping piano and some nice guitar licks, then this won't disappoint. An enjoyable and accessible debut...
on 11 August 2008
Don't hesitate to buy this album. It is amazing. Saw them at Liverpool Carling Academy last night and was blown away - by far the best gig I have seen for a long long time. Seriously, every song is brilliant. The two singles, 'We cry' and 'The man who can't be moved' are particularly good, but I really like the ballad 'I'm Yours', vocals are really powerful on this. I know I will be playing this over and over for a long time to come. The album has gone to number 1 in Ireland, let's hope it does the same in the UK. Good luck boys.
on 28 February 2016
Never listened to the script before this album. It reminds me a little of James Morrison on the man who can't be moved and on one of boyzone (I suppose as an Irish band that can't be helped) but at least 8 of the 11 tracks are very catchy and well worth a listen. I will be buying more ofmthe script.
on 7 July 2016
I've always loved this album and im so happy to now own it on vinyl.

The vinyl quality of this album is amazing, it sounds great. I'm also happy it came with a paper sleeve, i hate the cardboard ones most vinyl tend to come with these days.

I would highly reccomend this album
on 28 October 2013
This cd is amazing and danny o,donnaghue and the lads at their best. Switch on your cd player and sit back and relax to music at its best from the irish band that to me have taken us all by storm. Until The Voice I had never listened to the script until danny done a duet with his contestant and I was hooked when sung Hall Of Fame which was also co-written with WILLI-AM..i HAVE SINCE BOUGHT ANY ALBUM AVAILABLE. I am a script addict and can,t wait till a concert comes around and I shall be there to cheer them on.
on 19 September 2009
The Script for me has to be the best band in the music industry. Their music is so inspiring and natural. In my personal opinion, I believe that every song on the album is brilliant. The members of The Script (Danny, Mark and Glen) write their own songs too; the music has come from the heart.

I find it hard to choose just one favourite song of theirs because they are all so brilliant.

I would recommend anybody to buy this album. You will not be disappointed!!

I can't wait for them to produce a new album!!!
on 9 August 2013
This album (and indeed the two following one's as well) are rarities in that you can put the disk in and just press play. No need to skip forwards to songs you actually like as they are all worthy of listening too.

It's great to have an album(s) like this again. It is so good to be able to just press play and leave it alone.
on 5 July 2013
Saw Danny O'Donoghue on TV programme "The Voice" and decided to find out more about his music. Read other Amazon reviews and decided to buy The Script, which is, I think, their first CD. Think it is good with a lot of songs I really like, particularly The Man Who Can't Be Moved. It is good to be able to put music to a name and face!
on 8 March 2011
Despite the fact this album is over two years old at the time of writing, I only started listening to "The Script" a couple of months ago.
I'm very glad that I did, hailing from Dublin, "The Script's" debut is a strong collection of modern pop rock ideally suited to mainstream radio.

As a result they've yielded quite a strong fan base, successful singles "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" and "Breakeven" are the strongest moments here, and there's nothing you'd perhaps class as "filler."
Even some of the rapper moments on opening track "We Cry" don't sound uncomfortable, somehow The Script blend the piano acoustics with electric guitar brilliantly to create their rather unique sound.

Elsewhere, "The End Where I Begin" could have been a single; it's certainly one of my personal favourite tracks from the album.
Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this record. I usually appreciate much heavier rock music but I definitely have a soft spot for well produced and delivered pop rock.

By definition, The Script deliver exactly that. Highly recommended.