Customer reviews

on 27 July 2015
I bought this after attending one of Steven Tonkin's lectures which I enjoyed.
The book covers some of the same ground.
I have a pair of 16 X 70 binoculars which worked perfectly for me by day, so I never realised they were out of collimation while they were under warranty. However when I took up astronomy they gave double images when looking at stars. The book warns against adjustment, but it gave me the confidence to correct my binoculars.
on 16 August 2010
Great book for indroducing you to binocular astronomy. All the information you could possibly require regarding the choice of bino's and where to point them at the night sky. I wanted the book myself for information regarding the bino's this is one of the best for that alone - good value for money.
on 30 November 2017
Very good read and very informative
on 27 March 2016
very good
on 3 March 2013
My only problem was that 50mm and 100mm objective lenses are covered in the listings, whereas I have 15x70 Celestron.

Good section on mounts.
on 6 November 2009
This is one of the best books on Binocular Astronomy. Mr. Tonkin knows a thing or two about optics, and you will certainly learn something new about binoculars. I like the holding technique suggested.. it works for me, allowing steady 10x50 viewing. I enjoyed every page of this excellent paperback. I have about 5 or 6 other books on Binocular Astronomy.
on 2 May 2007
This is the first new book on astronomy with binoculars for some years, and it fills a niche that the others do not .

Most of the books on astronomy with binoculars concentrate on objects to observe. This book does that also, with over 150 finder charts for objects categorised by constellation and by binocular aperture. This does not, however, form the main thrust of this book.

The majority of the book is concentrated on the binoculars themselves, with a superbly detailed descriptions of how to choose, evaluate, hold, mount and observe with them. Tonkin obviously feels that an understanding of the principles is more important than recommendations for binoculars that may vary in availability. This is certainly of more lasting value.

Overall an excellent addition to the bookshelf of anyone who ever observes the heavens with two eyes.
on 15 July 2014