Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 27 July 2009
This dvd is a MUST for anyone interested in Merseyside history. There is memorable footage of many parts of this wonderful city and, as a Merseysider in my mid-60's, I found myself transported back to years and scenery long gone as faded memories came flooding back to me. Views of the old overhead railway ("the dockers' umbrella"!), the landing stage at the Pier Head, the soot-blackened Liver Building (now clean and white!) and many other iconic buidings that have graced the Liverpool skyline throughout our lives - they're all memories of Merseysider's living today! If you're one of the many thousands lucky enough to have been a part of Liverpool history, you can't afford not to see this dvd - buy it, you certainly won't be disappointed!
11 Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2009
A fantastic dvd consisting of old black and white film and Pathe newsreel relating to the extraordinary history of early 20th century Liverpool. Such is Liverpool's cosmopolitan nature that this film is of interest to all who have lived in the 20th century. There are celebrities, engineering feats,royalty, sport - in fact something for everyone.
The film was made by Pathe so anyone who remembers Pathe News in the cinema will like this. It is an important document about the last century, not just Liverpool.
on 28 September 2010
Anybody expecting to find material relating to views of everyday life in the changing city will be disappointed with this dvd.It is for the most part a civic history produced by Pathe for Liverpool City Council in 1959 and seems to consist of various Pathe news items stitched together to the accompaniment of a droning commentary. The bonus items show a tedious succession of royal visits.There are very few views of Liverpool streets showing the people living their lives; instead we get three visits to the Grand National and two or three football finals.Little about the overhead railway,very little about the war years,for example.The dvd is not totally without interest speaking as a Liverpool man, but the overall effect is uninspiring and repetitive.I bought this for my eighty year old parents and they were equally underwhelmed.
55 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2010
I currently have an interest in my local history and found this to be an entertaining dvd depicting certain areas and events in Liverpool.Filmed like a 'Pathe newsreel' it covers events that occurred over the past 100 years. Well worth the money in my opinion although I would have preferred to see more footage prior to WW2.
on 13 February 2016
I had been trying to trace my family in Liverpool. With just one reference to Fedora Street, I put it into Google, looking for an old map. Up came a quote from 'This is our Time' about seeing a photograph of the remains of the houses in that street. I am very pleased to have this little book which shows the clearance of inner areas of the city, when people were moved out to new houses, like the one I where I visited my grandparents as a little girl. Such wonderful collection of photographs taken as areas disappeared. Although an old book, it is in very good condition.
on 20 November 2012
Has a lot of good stuff about Liverpool as I remember it from my Grandad and Father. Liverpool was all about the Pierhead for me in my childhood days and this certainly hits the spot for that. I enjoyed the trip back in time but this movie is only really good for scousers and the likes of me in particular living in exile!
on 19 December 2012
This arrived promptly and was watched almost immediately. It is very Interesting to see the old Liverpool. It's amazing the changes that have taken place, but it's nice to see Liverpool as it was. Would recommend this to anyone interested in the past.
on 25 December 2013
If you love the city you will like it, but it has no subtitles so if you don't speak English it's difficult to follow sometimes
on 24 January 2014
My dad was really pleased it has brought back so many memories. Good value and speedy delivey.Thank you very much.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse