on 4 January 2018
Initially this seemed to be a one off TV movie that covers a little of the ground between SW EP 2 and 3. The story is okay, the Jabba part being the weakest. However the most important thing about this, is that it is essentially the pilot for the subsequent 5 seasons of the Clone Wars TV series. The mildly annoying (but then she is a kid being thrust into a war) Ansoka turns into one of the best characters ever (IMHO) in the subsequent series. So my recommendation is, buy this at the same time as the 5 season boxset of Clone Wars. Watch this first and then REALLY enjoy the series afterwards.
on 27 September 2012
For whatever reason - be it pig-headed stubborness or stupidity - I have only just seen this film. I love the original trilogy and found the prequel trilogy to be adequate (Phantom Menace), very good (Attack of the Clones) and excellent (Revenge of the Sith). But, knowing that the Clone Wars was set between AotC and RotS left me feeling a little cold and uninterested. Now, if it has been set after Return of the Jedi that would be a different matter.
Nonetheless, when the boxset of Seasons 1 & 2 appears in a sale I thought I'd give it a try. To coincide I ordered this film too. Thankfully it arrived first and I was able to watch it. After the first few minutes of adjustment to the animation style I found myself totally engrossed and immersed into the Star Wars universe once again. While the story is not intricately involved it is still very effective and engaging. I was probably only 30 minutes in when I realised I was hooked. I promptly cancelled my order for Seasons 1 & 2 and changed it to Seasons 1-3!
Anyone who has doubts - all you lovers of the original trilogy - open your hearts and minds and give this a try; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I was very impressed with the blu-ray picture quality too; although a little disappointed that the audio was only DD5.1. But, having said that, it's a very good DD5.1 track!
on 13 September 2015
Is there any more period required that the Star Wars saga is safer out of George's hands? Yes, it has some bad, bad choices; Ziro, the claim that Jabba had a kid, his immediate turn to the Republic and the Jedi for help for example. However, it has an emotional depth, a way with snappy dialogue and a lesson in how to handle a precocious juvenile without making the audience despise her, none of which the prequels approached. Disney are keeping it as canonical and it is a good start to the series.
on 24 September 2012
After seeing the trailer for what looks to be a superb fourth season (seriously - it looks epic!)myself and a friend chose to give Clone Wars a bash. It's clear that as time goes on this series matures and this movie is it's very first steps. It's light hearted, fun and not taxing on the mind.
The story is simplistic, a few voices sounded off, the new Hutt character is a total joke and it's clearly three or four episodes spliced together.
However, it's still superior to Lucas's prequels! There's a sense of sheer fun, Anakin is actually mildly likeable and the team at LucasAnimations make full use of the medium to create huge set piece moments. On the whole it's not without flaws but shows clear potential and more than enough for me to purchase series 1 and see if the series improves on what clearly works whilst shedding off the rubbish elements.

At under a fiver it's alright value for money, just be warned that this release is incredibly poor. It has one commentary and that's it... for a movie clocking in at around 1hour & 30minutes it comes across as a bit rushed out of the gate.
Additionally I saw this whilst skyping my friend who was watching it too - it was far more fun and how this movie's meant to viewed!

If you're interested, give it a bash.
on 28 June 2009
When I heard another Star Wars movie was coming out I was quite relieved as many people were dissapointed with Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith though I wasn't, but when I saw it in aninmation as a trailer I thought Lucas had gone mad. But I saw the flaw of it, star wars episode 2 and 3 missed out a point that the expanded universe needed from those films that never was until now which was what happened between the Clone War events? though there have been comics and the first volume of the Clone Wars in 2003 I was quite intrested to see how this would go. When I bought it off amazon and watched it, I saw mistakes and good points so this is what I thought:

The storyline was simple to follow which was good, Jabba the hutt's son was kinapped by what semmed to be the sepratists so Jabba the hutt erges help from the Jedi's to go save his son which would be hard to think he had a son really, so Lucas has thought this through, Brining in the clones many battles are fought against the battle droids and new chacrters are randomly introduced, like Asouka and Ventress but brings more to the expnded universe. Dooku being the criminal since episode 2 tries to cheat throughout the movie, though I won't spoil anything for those who have not seen it him and Ventress have a totally new side to them, in return to bringing back jabba's son the clone's get to roam through Jabba's palace which is where Dooku's scheming mind comes into it.

The good points of this is that the characters are well recognised, new characters are seen, the Clone's have a different side to them as they battle in fighting modes and shout "clankers!" all the time and go rambo on them, the battle droids make the film funny and during a great Dooku and Anakin scene, Anakin's past and dark side is seen. The bas side of things is that it's aimed for children because I saw that Lucas wanted to portray the characters again in a different way, people who haven't seen Star wars before he wants them to get into it so he portrays Anakin as a good person but in a bad way. The action is all good but what makes it bad is the actors voices, Obi-Wan sounds over posh and not wise, Anakin sounds not Anakin, he sounds more like Ob-Wan and Palpatine's voice sounds terrible, Mace Windu even in the tv series is terrible, he has little viewing on the movie as does Yoda except in episode 1 of the tv series. The only good voices are Asouka as it gives a new background to a new character and Ventress, despite her mood swings and stress every time she loses she has a good villain character.

There are good things and bad things about this, suppose the last bad thing is that when watching it sometimes you enjoy it, sometimes after wtaching it a second time like with my brother he said it was like watching a game like a cut scene is on and then its your turn to start playing which sometimes I agree with him but it was 50/50 because of the expanded universe timeline. Mostly I would say the tv series is better but because I'm a major Star Wars fan I liked it in ways, sorry if this review doesn't help most people.
on 27 April 2017
Bought this in relation to following the greater arc of the clone wars - the team were probably learning as they went - but it's a deeply enjoyable pilot for the series that follows. Get to season 4 & 5 & you'll see what all the fuss is about. A rich addition to the world.
on 17 January 2015
This feature-length Clone Wars film may not be quite as pixel-perfect visually as the later seasons of the series, but it's still very impressive for a newcomer to the show (the fight sequences will leave anyone in awe!) and makes for a great introduction of the new (i.e. non-Star Wars) characters. The Blu-ray version boasts some wonderful extras, too, including commentaries and some interesting deleted scenes.
on 4 April 2016
Star Wars has always fascinated me. I was excited when I heard that they were going to bridge the gap between episode II & episode III with both a movie and TV series. As the movie was/is not as good as the TV series I did like it. It is very "kiddy", but as a kick off point for The Clone Wars.
on 12 March 2010
I remember when I initially heard about this film, I disregarded it as another one of Lucas' lacklusting lunacies of late. I didn't catch it in the cinema and had no intention of seeing it on DVD until I heard that it was part of a larger picture altogether. When I learnt this film was the basis for a new Saturday morning teen television show based throughout the Clone Wars, I decided to give this film a chance.

As I watched the film with this knowledge, it really felt consistent, something I wouldn't have noticed prior to knowing more 'episodes' were to follow. I expected it to be a very childish outing for Anakin due to the animation primarily - yet a lot of the time I found myself on the edge of my seat as Separatist droids were carved up by well known heroes Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, and blue and red lasers showered dystopian battlefields and ancient temples. A similarity no doubt of the action seen in the prequel trilogies. It was this aspect alone that seemed to hold up the prequel trilogies as its strength, due to the fact there was very little character development as there was in the original trilogy à la the three musketeers (Han Solo, Luke and Leia). But this film (and series to follow clearly) has filled this empty sarlac-pit of a void in my expectations with a great deal of interest, as we're treated to a new friendship between Anakin and his new padawan learner, Ahsoka Tano - a cute and pretentious padawan who shows great potential not only as a character but to revitalise the series itself.

Despite the positive inclusion of original concepts - Lucas hasn't quite perfected the formula yet, and I found myself cringing painfully from time to time. Despite my praise of the film going against my overall belief that it wasn't going to be as violent due to my expecting of it to be childish - some of that childishness managed to seep through into aspects of the film that weren't needed. One of these was the droid personalities.
Its a well known fact that the droids were gaining more personality for the simplistic reason of appealing to family audiences; each instalment of the prequel trilogy saw the droids acting more foolish and comical, but this film's examples take the biscuit. It seems that Lucas' aim was to centre this film more around teens, but misses the age category altogether as he has droids comically misinterpret information any robot should know and falling for simple ploys such as: "What's that behind you? <Snigger>".

Due to the fact this builds up for a TV series, the ending doesn't quite match the epicness the other six titles in the trilogies have. It just kind of fizzles out, possibly even a little too abrupt regardless of the fact there's more adventures to come. That said, it makes for a decent viewing for even the most veteran of fans, at least if only once. It gives just that little bit more backstory to the once-mysterious Clone Wars first told of in the Original Trilogy and lights the way out of the void the franchise seemed to have fallen down in the last decade in terms of character development at least.

With gripping action, beautiful animation, and the inclusion of concepts last seen on the far side of 1983 - this film offers a lot more than most will expect, for newcomers and veterans alike.
on 9 January 2013
I'm not a big Clone Wars fan, and only watch the episodes if there's nothing much on television. I bought this DVD a few years back - and have to say that I haven't watched it again and again like I've done with the other Star Wars films. I don't really like how it's tailored for a much younger audience, but it has some enjoyable moments and introduces a few interesting new characters.