Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 3 April 2017
A beautifully animated, touching story which brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it. I bought the dvd as I was using the book as a starting point for story writing with my year 2 class - to date it's their favourite book. The only criticism I have is that in the dvd, boy is initially somewhat irritated by penguin's arrival which he isn't in the book - all works out happily in the end though!
on 27 July 2017
Lost and Found is a lovely story about friendship and as the film says maybe they were not strangers after all , as everyone needs a friend.There is so many beautiful stories and DVDs out there for children. Animation is wonderful and there is a great documentary as to how they make it,with interviews from Oliver Jeffers and all the very talented,creative and clever people involved in it becoming a film.Never had that when i was a boy growing up in the 60s.Its makes me feel like a young boy again watching lovely films like this,great for adults and children alike, wonderful message about showing patience towards one another and helping out a small stranger a very lovable small penguin.Well worth getting for the collection for the grandchildren to watch.John Thomson ,New Zealand
on 25 February 2011
A young boy wakes up one day in his home, and finds a lost penguin on his doorstep. The young boy thinks the Penguin looks lost and decides to help him get back home. He visits the Lost and Found office but finds no-ne has reported a lost penguin. He then finds out penguins are from the South Pole and realises he must take the penguin there himself. The two set out on their rowboat to the South Pole, through the treacherous sea with each other for company. But once they arrive there, neither the boy or the penguin are particularly happy. Have they made a big mistake in trying to find a home for the lost penguin?

What struck me first about this show was the absolutely stunning animation. It is utterly charming and I defy anyone, adult or child, not to love it right from the start. The little boy is so cute, and I love how there are no words needed from the boy or the penguin to easily relay the story to the viewer. The animation shows us all we need to know, and the basic narration keeps the viewer informed of the next stage of the story. In particular, the scenes that take place on the ocean were the best ones for me, the animation was just amazing and the scenes are visually breath-taking. Even the youngest of children will be able to sense the danger, and feel emotion for the young boy and penguin.

The musical score of this show is very important too. As with other musical led animations such as "The Snowman", we rely on the music to portray emotion and heighten senses throughout the piece. I loved the music in this piece because it is very emotive, and so well complements what action is happening on screen. Again, the ocean scenes are a great example of this where heavy strings and an urgent melody are used to portray peril, and also the scene where the boy and Penguin miss each other, the soft music makes you feel sad for them because of its melancholy sound.

Narration comes courtesy of the fantastic Jim Broadbent, and I feel his voice is perfect for this show. It has a somewhat curious tone to it, and is soft enough to appeal to children but also carries the story perfectly. The messages throughout this show are so perfect for the target age group - it shows that doing the right thing by people can make them happy, to help out whenever you can and that friendships can come out of the most unlikely situations. The relationship between the boy and the penguin is just so touching, and this is one DVD I don't mind Harry requesting a lot!

One minor niggle with this DVD for me is that the soundtrack is sometimes a little too loud and overpowering for the level of the narrator. There are times when I have to turn the TV up to hear the narration properly, then when it gets to more powerful musical parts, you have to turn it back down again because it gets a bit much. This is something that the production people should have noticed really because it could have easily been fixed, but its only a minor problem really.

As you can probably tell, I absolutely adore this show and can't recommend it highly enough to those who have young children aged around 3 and over. It's just long enough to hold their attention for the duration, has a beautiful musical score and the morals are just what you want your child to be exposed to. The animation is perfect, and the gentle story will captivate its young audience easily. We've now got the book because Harry loves it so much, and it complements that perfectly, and this is one book to TV adaptation that has worked out better than expected. Just brilliant.
on 9 July 2017
This is THE cutest and sweetest short film I have watched in a long time. Melted our class team's hearts. I have an SEN primary class and we watched it as a treat as part of our week on authors and illustrators as they loved Oliver Jeffers. I wasn't sure how the film would be but it was absolutely lovely and afterwards we had some really fantastic communication from the children about it so it must have resonated with them too. Great way to discuss friendship with young children.
on 25 October 2011
I purchased this yesterday and have already watched it a couple of times. I can honestly say that it is one of the best cartoons/films I have seen in a very long time. The artwork is breath-taking and the story is well-worth watching and the narration by Jim Broadbent just compliments it. The story is simple but will melt the hardest heart. I watched this last night with my husband and we both love it. It doesn't matter what age you are, if you are having a bad day put this on, and it will make you feel so much better. I know it seems silly to be saying so much about a cartoon but it really is that good.
on 14 April 2017
Such a beautiful animation. My 2 year old has been loving this for months. It's one of those kids films you can happily watch together over and over (up there with Stickman and Room on the Broom). Just lovely!
I bought this purely on reviews and I wasn't disappointed. A little boy finds a penguin and decides to take the penguin back to the south pole. Its a lovely story of friendship and compassion. It has lovely visuals and soundtracks. A story that can be enjoyed by all,my grandchildren and I love it and that is aged 3 to 59.
on 6 April 2017
Beautiful! Watched with my three year old and welled up a few times. Will be watched again and again (by me if not my daughter).
on 24 July 2017
My 3 year old loves the story so I was interested to see if the film adaptation would live up to it as he can be a very tough critic. Let's just say I'll probably end up buying it again as it's been on repeat since we got it. Endearing and extremely well made.
on 14 February 2014
A lovely quiet thoughtful story with great illustration & animation, not gonna spoil it for you. Suspect it will stand re-watching at different ages. Story is narrated but not over explained. Humorous & poignant, there is a lot in the animation that could invite explanation/discussion with children as well.