on 9 August 2017
A hilarious story of relationships old and new. Stella the main character is intriguing. Couldn't get enough of this book.
on 31 May 2015
Laugh out loud funny and a little bit filthy too!
on 28 February 2005
I found this book lying around the office and was bored so read it,and was suprised to find that I LOVED it, it was hilarious - laugh out loud funny, and I would recommend it to anyone as a light hearted quick read.
True its obvious whats going to happen, but arent all these books? Seriously funny though,this is not my genre at all so I was very suprised when I couldnt put it down.
Read it!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 February 2015
This book was an absolute scream. With multiple laugh out loud moments and a plot, which almost any mother can identify (Happy Bunnies playgroup - say no more) I raced through the pages.

I'm not going to reiterate what you can read on the blurb, but despite a cliche plot and the MCs personal situation coming across as a bit contrived--a young mum with no job, no money worries and the ability to still have a life--this story was very well observed, hysterically written and totally engaging.

What shocked me most about reading this story was that initially I didn't care very much for the MC, I felt she was an over-privileged snob, who found a way to look down her nose at everyone around her. And yet, as the pages passed, I found myself laughing at her opinions, and even nodding along, thinking I would react exactly the same way.

Can't believe I found such a fun book, unread, on the shelves of a local charity shop. If you get the chance to read this book, grab it! Good old fashioned mental polyfiller of the chick-lit variety.
on 29 July 2003
Estella de la Croix (Stella) is seriously wondering whether she will ever have sex again! Twice divorced and single mother to the twinkly and adorable toddler, Honey, Stella is a red-hot, half-French sex-(time)bomb, desperately looking for someone with whom she can safely detonate! And being the maturer side of thirty (as opposed to the more immature!), anything goes!
Stella's unorthodox search for someone to scratch her increasing libidinous itch (which in itself include a strange but open account of recreational drug use and the consumption of vast quantities of alcohol) leads to an ill-advised forray between the black satin sheets of an elderly plastic surgeon, so permatanned is he, that he may very well have been Tangoed (not only but also, he is the perpetrator of some seriously buttock-clenching chat up lines that will make you roll about with glee) and later to a liaison with a "World's-Oldest-Teenager" DJ, closer to forty than she is, but more firmly in denial.
The meanderings of the plot are a distraction from the basic humour - surely it should be the other way around? Nevertheless, I bought this book because I loved My Life On A Plate (which had basically no plot at all, but was hurtingly funny and made me cry with laughter, once more on a packed commuter train) and I hoped that Don't You Want Me would be as funny. I was not disappointed.
Stella's rant through gritted teeth as she listens through the walls, once more, to her Lothario lodger (Frank, the ginger-haired artist) getting it on with what surely must be a howler monkey, had me bent double with mirth.
I enjoyed the "story", more so the characters (Stella's father is Great, with a capital "G") and even more so the humour. The chapters that include the Politically Correct nursery "Happy Bunnies" may, whilst reading, require the use of an oxygen tent.
Does our heroine find the Studly Dudley of her dreams? Well if I tell you that, there's really no point in buying it.
Once more and in the same vein as My Life On A Plate, India Knight manages to extract the Michael in a way that we can all relate to; even if the majority of single-mothers who might read this book aren't independently wealthy, swathed in cashmere, living in an airy house in Primrose Hill and able to afford the luxury of lying in bed with a killer hangover whilst the "staff" look after the baby.
If you ask me to sum it up, I would have to say that I love nothing more than an overdose of clever wit, and India Knight provides it in spades.
on 26 June 2012
To be honest, I was starting to get a bit fed up with chick lit because it can be very hit and miss. You get some really good books in this genre and some (pardon me) dross or at least passable but doesn't hit all the spots! This one is up there in the pretty good section. Very funny, has all the ingredients to earn being amongst this genre. Humour, plenty of it, a nice fella who is not only good looking (and ginger) but caring with a GSOH - pretty much what we look for in our ideal bloke. Downside, he sleeps with plenty of women. Our heroine is 'the wrong side of thirty five', a single Mum and meets playgroup Mums from hell but not as in the Ubermum, more in earth mother meets must be politically correct in all aspects of parenting plus children with silly names mother. Naturally, there is the one only other Mum who our dear lady can relate to so here is our new BF. They both fancy the flatmate and well...read the book.
on 24 October 2004
After reading 'My life on a plate' and enjoying it very much, I was thrilled to discover India Knights new book 'Don't you want me'.
Personally I think its a fantastic book and a riot from start to finish. I actually prefer it to 'My life on a plate' although that is still in my top ten of favourite books.
This is the book I pick up when I am feeling low and need cheering up or I am worried about something and need to escape. It never fails to have me laughing out loud straight away.
As a not very well off, single mother of two, I can understand why some would find it too convenient for Stella to have a house and money and babysitter on hand, this wasnt a problem for me. It is after all an uplifting story, if I had read about how broke Stella was and how she cried into her pillow on a night from loneliness, it wouldnt be the escapism or funny kind of book I was hoping for.
And although like a lot of readers I guessed the ending, it didnt detract anything from this absolute gem of a novel.
Stella is a real scream. From her blatent honesty, to her fabulous dress sense, to her incredibly bad taste in men, she is the kind of person I would love to be best friends with.
India Knight captures perfectly, things most of us think but would never dare say.
Well worth reading and well worth keeping a copy on hand for those 'feeling low' emergencies'
on 2 December 2002
Having read the reviews for this book on Amazon - and the Amazon word was sacrosanct for me - I chose to purchase this book in the hope of reading a romantic comedy. However, I made the mistake of assuming that it was a romantic comedy aimed at those of us who enjoy something at least mildy witty. The language used throughout was appallingly childish. The puns, when there were any, were utterly predictable. You could forsee the conclusion of the plot from reading the very first page. And even then there was no attempt to captivate the reader in a sweeping finale, by producing a witty ending. I didn't expect to read something intellectual when I opted to buy this book, but blimme, I didn't expect to have to regress to an 8 year old either. Pitiful from start to finish, an arduous bore throughout, pitched at those who may have no comparison with quality material. The only thing taxing about this book is the self-imposed resolve to finish reading it, having paid for it!
on 6 January 2003
I really had fun reading this book. It has something different to offer than the other "chick" books that have been published in the UK in recent years. The difference is that the main characters are 35 and older, which allows them to view the world a little differently from the Bridget Jones age group. Stella the heroine of this book is funny. I laughed out loud several times at her exploits. This is the first book that I have read in 2003, and I wanted to begin the new year with a laugh. I got what I was after. I recommend this one for beach or airport reading. It's easy to get into, the characters are fun to get to know. This is the second book that I have read by this author, and she keeps getting better.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2006
Funny laugh out loud book, well written easy to read and would highly recommend. I ached with laughing so hard before I had read the first chapter. This lady is seriously funny. If you want intellectual skip it if you funny must read and pass it on.