Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 9 March 2002
What else can I say, this film is just pure Tim Burton. It is a black comedy in which Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis star as the Maitland's - a recently deceased couple who to their horror have a yuppie family buy their house and transform it. This proves too much so the Maitlands contact Beetlejuice - the bio-exorcist (in the form of the wonderfully meanacing and yet so charismatic Michael Keaton), in the hope that he will rid the house of the family. Winona Ryder stars as the yuppie teenage daughter with issues, which is typical of many of her early roles.
I first saw this film on TV years ago and it is still one of the best and most imaginative films I have ever seen.
Tim Burton - I salute you!
on 23 January 2006
First things first: I LOVE Beetlejuice, it's one of my favourite comedies (and one of my favourite films) of all time, from my favourite director of all time.
There's nothing more I can add to how brilliant the film is that hasn't been said here, so I'll focus on the DVD.
It's a double-sided disc, with the fullscreen version on one side and the widescreen on the other side. Fair enough - but why on earth would anyone want both? Why bother making an awkward, expensive, 2-sided disc when most people will only ever use one side? The transfer is pretty bad, it seems they didn't bother to find a nice print of the film, instead we get this flickery, badly-coloured version that does the film no justice at all. The DVD has ONE special feature - and it's a good one, I must say - a music-only track with Danny Elfman's excellent score. The film is short and sweet, running at 88 minutes - leaving PLENTY of room for extra features, and all we get is an alternate audio track.
Sorry, but this is not the way to treat a classic film - many (or even most) of Tim Burton's other films have been given "Special Edition" style treatment - his Batman films, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Planet of the Apes - they all have a decent dose of extras.
I love the film, so I had to buy this DVD - but I hope the studio will understand that this is NOT the way to release Beetlejuice - and I (along with many other Burton-fans) would very much like a decent transfer and interesting extra features - let's face it, this film deserves it.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2016
As a child this was one of my favourite films- and to be honest it is still up there as a firm favourite.
When I saw it had been released as a DVD I was delighted and promptly threw away the dodgy old vhs tape I had recorded as a child and could no longer play anyway!!
The story starts with a young couple in their beautiful house having a tragic accident on a trip to the store. They get home- and soon discover they are in fact ghosts, trapped in their own home.
A family buys the house and the couple do a terrible job at trying to scare them away- that's when beetle juice comes in- trying to scare the family with underhand tactics being quite a vulgar character.
I don't want to go into too much detail about the film, as you should watch it for yourself, but it is a great classic from the 80's and is well worth the watch. I don't know how many times I have watched it but I never get bored. Highly recommended!
on 28 January 2003
I have seen this film thousands of times and every time i watch it I still laugh.it has got to be one of the funniest films I have seen and can't wait to add it to my collection.Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice is just so funny and he definitely exceeds in the role and he is well supported by an outsanding cast(big thumbs up for Winona Ryder any day.shes a stunner even in gothic).The funniest bit of the whole film has to be when he is attempting to make Winona say his name three times playing charades with her.Thumbs up for this all time classic!!!
on 9 May 2014
Fantastic film and one of my all time faves. Michael Keaton is brilliant as the bonkers Beetlejuice. Sadly, he's gone off the boil now. Whoever came up with the idea and the script must be a complete loon. Well worth a look in.
on 13 September 2016
This was one of my favorite films as a young teen. I just watched it for the first time in 20 years, and I am happy to report I still loved it. For a film about ghosts and hauntings, it's delightfully lighthearted and fun. The plot is clever and the pace is good. The special effects are decent for the pre-CGI era, and Catherine O'Hara and Winona Rider's performances are excellent.
on 12 May 2016
Watched this with fond memories from being a child not seen it in 22 years, But to be honest I didn't think it was very good, not what I thought I remembered, probably was good in the 80s and as I was a child at the time that's what probably excited me about it then.
on 17 October 2015
Not as good as I remembered - a relatively thin storyline. I suppose at the time it was good but with CGI today the make up and effects look amateurish. I watched this with my 14 year old daughter. Still, good acting by Michael Keaton and some good dance scenes result in an 'okay let's watch something on a wet Sunday afternoon' way. Some things are best left not revisited...
on 22 July 2016
This is Tim Burton's masterpiece, although it is a number of years old it is still as wonderful as ever. Michael Keaton is simply having a great time with his role. If you want a few laughs this will cheer you up no end.
on 8 June 2015
A bizarre early Tim Burton film which is problematic due the title character played by Michael Keaton only appearing for a few scenes which although has creativity a decent cast that features a young Winona Ryder Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones, Glenn Shadix, A young Alec Baldwin which might be his likable role Geena Davis and Michael Keaton is miscast in the title due to his huge absence even though he is supposed to be the main character of the film.