Format: DVD|Change

on 24 February 2010
I was unlucky enough to have watched this film last night and for the first time decided to put pen to paper to write a review simply because even 12 hours after watching this film I still cant believe just how incredibly bad this movie actually was, in fact I was seriously considering watching it again just to confirm that it was as bad as I thought, but luckily enough after having read the reviews here on Amazon I am not alone and although it's perhaps very mean of me to say but I am pleased that I am not the only person to have sat through this painful experience and believe me it is painful.

Like many I got this confused with the 2012 film by Roland Emmerich starring John Cussack which it's self has got very bad reviews but I thought I would have a look just for the special effects and think that having the two films with the same name is truly shameful and very underhanded.

So 2012 Doomsday
Special effects eerrrr what special effects?? Like the part they are standing in a blizzard and not one hair on anyone's head is moving?? I could honestly do better at home with my camcorder no joke! But seriously their simply are no special effects in this movie so don't expect any!

The acting and dialog with all the Christian overtones simply makes you cringe all the way through the movie, I can't believe that people are actually getting paid for making this sort of rubbish it's bad beyond belief!

The story line is so ridiculously bad it's "almost funny" but trust me you wont be laughing, the earth stops rotating and everyone else is dead except our four heroes but don't worry everything will be fine now that they have made it to the Mayan temple!!!! God has saved them to start over again...... wow how very generous of him to save all four of them!!!!!!!!! So the earth not rotating and being ripped apart is not a problem for our four heroes then???

The directing was just all over the place, again I think it's beyond belief that this director Nick Everhart actually got paid to make this pile of rubbish, I am not a violent person but really do think this guy should be shot at dawn just to stop him inflicting this sort of painful experience on anyone again and a warning to anyone else that this sort of rubbish will not be tolerated.

Normally when I buy a bad film I give it to my brother so he can suffer too it's only fair!! But in this case I just can't bring myself to do to him so it's going strait in the bin as I honestly would not even give this to a charity shop as it would not be fair on the poor unknowing victim who brought it.

In conclusion this is without doubt the worst film I have ever seen and believe me I have seen some real stinkers in my time, sometimes films can be so bad they are funny but this is not one of them, it's just painful to watch so please you have been warned do not watch this movie you will seriously regret it...

Ps. Very annoyed I have no choice but to give this film one star...............
55 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2008
By the end of watching this I felt like I wanted the end of the world to take out every person responsible for the creation of this disaster. I cannot figure out why there were such strong Christian overtones when the whole thing is clearly so blastphemous to every mainstream Christian religion!

The faith needed to endure this film is probably the equal of going through stigmata so I would only recommend it to the sect of devoted to all things garbage.

Please please please do not watch this film as it is detrimental to your health
on 4 May 2008
...this film can be seen as proof that God is dead. He probably died of embarassment when he realised that his creations were going to come up with this steaming pile of fertilizer. My biggest regret in life is that he didn't take everyone involved in the making of this film with him before they inflicted it on the world.
on 13 September 2010
I mixed this one up with the blockbuster and I am sure that many people will do so. Truly awful. When one person writes the screenplay, acts, directs and produces it sounds warning bells and so it was. The acting is appalling, the story line contrived and totally unbelievable. Snowing in Mexico but not on the ground and people are able to drive though blizzards and earthquakes wit no problem. I could go on but what is the point! JUST AVOID !!!!!!
on 30 April 2008
"2012 Doomsday" is funny for all the wrong reasons. On the surface, it's an apocalyptic horror movie, but it spends a lot of time on religious discussions. It mixes together Mayan and Christian prophecies about the end times and the result is a confusing mess. Add to this bad acting and special effects and you get a movie that is unintentionally funny, sometimes hilarious. Recommended for those who love bad movies.
on 29 May 2013
Wow. Speechless. Not for any good reasons.

I am an avid movie fan, I don't watch tv shows (at all) and I have a particularly morbid interest in Doomsday type films. So, I was in dvd store, spent last bit of money on this film. Took it home. Watched it. Put it in the bin. It is that bad.

First off, this made me really annoyed, there are a couple of scenes that are from The Day After Tomorrow. Tracking the largest hurricane ever recorded in Australia, A storm system unlike anything the have ever seen, a cold front coming in and the father is coming to get the daughter... Oh and the guy falling into a hole, his friends try to save him and he sacrifices himself. Come on! Did they think noone would notice?

Currently they are driving through a huge hail storm, hail stones the size of tennis balls.. Funny how there is no hail hitting the car and you cannot see the storm from inside either.

Horrific acting, shrill and annoying music which drowns out the dialogue, worst cgi I have ever seen, weak storyline (they steal scenes from Day After Tomorrow), weak script. No words to describe how truly awful this movie is.

Also, very preachy. Very religious based but with a terrible script and storyline. Terrible movie.
on 25 August 2012
Hi, I brought the three of these films in a pack and watched the first one 'Doomsday 2012' last night with my friend and son as our movie treat. AWFUL. No review had stated this is a 'convert to Christianity' flick. Not that I mind that - but there was no warning and I would not have brought it. I did not buy it to be converted, I brought it to watch a good disaster movie!!

SPOILER DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!
And as well as ghastly 'pretend' smiling Christian mum- 'the world is ending, but you know you should turn to God - I totally trust.' Rubbish - I mean come on, Christian or not, most people would be afraid if they thought they were going to be annihilated; let alone meet their maker at short notice!

The film did not even know its theology! Apparently the Mayan calender is really Christian, or at least Christians were there before, and influenced it all! But instead of total annihilation, God changes his mind and decides to give the 'chosen few' a new start with all the sinners - or most of them; the rest are destroyed in cataclysmic polar shifts that cause freezing temperatures and massive earthquakes and fires around the globe.

But its gets better! hahaha! The Christians who HELP those chosen few - including the ghastly mum; apparently get raptured (taken up to heaven) first!! And THEN this is laughingly funny now - one woman who is saved - by God, then gives birth on a Mayan - but really christian, alter!! Is he the anti Christ? Apparently too, there seemed to have been no Father involved so perhaps it was a virgin one?! This had me baffled. It was more like the director thought he believed in Christianity, but not the 'BAD bits' so he changes the ending!! BUT he chooses gives every one watching a sick preach on turning to Christ.

Only the earthquake was good special effects. When one guy falls to his death, it was so awful I have seen the same kind of stuff, in the black and white old movies and they were better!! This is an awful movie. Bad effects, Bad story line, there is NOTHING good about it. PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY. I have not left bad reviews, but as another reviewer said this movie is so bad you have too - to save people from the horror of watching it!!! I would have given it no stars, but that was sadly not an option.
on 21 March 2010
I picked this up in Tesco yesterday, and I also made the mistake of thinking it was the 'blockbuster' version. One of the crappiest films I have ever seen, and even the 'special effects' are dismal. It was like a home movie in parts. If only I'd read the reviews first. I feel like I've been robbed.
on 2 December 2012
This should have come with a piece of elastic on it to get it back where it came from in our local charity shop ASAP.I hope its' next buyer doesn't see me bring it in.Still it's all in a good cause innit, even though I'm gonna feel like I've brought back a jigsaw puzzle with a load of pieces missing.I bought it thinking it was the real 2012 Emmerich blockbuster instead of an "Asylum" knock-off.Strange I've not seen it on one of the FreeSat rubbish channels yet.I'm just glad I didn't buy it here on Amazon and hence only paid a couple of quid for it all in.If you can get hold of a copy dirt cheap, by all means watch it just to teach you not to do anything so daft again. I mean, they even put in a "behind the scenes" documentary extolling everyone's virtues on the movie, which achieved the impossible by being even worse than the film! Go on YouTube and look at all the high grade student CGI work that's to be seen for free,and then wonder at its' paucity in this movie.
on 24 March 2008
One of the worst films I have ever seen. It is full of dialogue with a Christian theme, but it seems so corny. I kept wondering if it was meant to be comical, but I don't think it was. Even putting aside the god-squad speak the script was appalling - after five people manage to reach a Mayan temple in the middle of nowhere, having trekked through jungle or narrowly avoiding death, one gives birth and her helper says "I need a towel or something," a towel, please! I didn't get it, surely the bible-belt can afford to put together something more convincing than this cringey effort. Awful, awful, awful - bad script, dreadful acting, musical score that seems totally inappropriate much of the time, one of the visual effects seemed to consist of handfuls of straw blowing about in the middle of a major US city - I can't think of a single good thing to say about it!