on 11 August 2017
What a movie! Can't believe someone would make something like this. A little girl in a hospital, who is being told a story by another patient, who has his own story in the background that gets uncovered. Catinca Untaru, playing the little girl, is mesmerising, but the other actors are also very good. Must see - definitely among the best movies I have seen.
on 4 December 2017
Brilliantly inventive film making! Sad and funny and full of the often harsh magic of true fairy tales.
The performance by the child playing the lead is simply wonderful...the best since Ana Torent in Spirit of the Beehive.
This is a film that deserves to be much better known.
on 15 December 2013
I read critical reviews of this film that accused the director of self indulgence and I have to agree. At times the cinematography is too contrived and the characters in the imaginary story world are shallow to the point of irrelevant. However, this film isn't about them. It is an engaging story about two hospital patients striking up an unlikely friendship due to them both being injured by falling. In the case of the man it could be said he is still falling, emotionally and ethically which leads to further tragedy for the young girl and a crisis of conscience for him. The beauty of this film is not in the highly trumpeted film locations but in the wonderful performances from Lee Pace and Catinca Untaru. The scene where Pace's character has to face the consequences of his selfish luring of the young girl into his dark world is truly painful to watch, the two actors laying bare emotion that yanks at the heart strings. It is for these two that I give my four star rating.
on 20 August 2017
This is film making of a very high order. The imagery and the story are blended perfectly and the acting is astonishing. Catinca Untaru gives one of the greatest performances not only of any child actor but any actor! As Alexandria she draws one into the story in a way that is extraordinary but completely natural.
on 5 February 2015
Such an incredible film, I can't believe I didn't know of this until just recently, definitely isn't given enough credit. The storyline is beautiful and the relationship between Roy (Lee Pace) and Alexandria (Catinca Untaru) is so cute. It's just overall a wonderful film, doesn't feel like you are even watching a movie, due to the realism of the dialogue between the characters. I highly recommend this to anyone because I have no doubt you'll enjoy it almost as much as I did.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 January 2014
Certainly, this movie isn't for everyone. If you're into action movies like 'Die Hard' or such, you will probably find this one strange, confusing and therefore perhaps even boring, as some here have. But if you're open to a dreamlike, poetic, unconventionally told story, breathtaking photography, some wonderful acting and 2 amazing protagonists, you will love this stunningly beautiful film. Actors always are told not to act besides children and dogs, they'll steal the show! And this little girl, Catinca Untaru, certainly has every potential to do so, but in this case, Lee Pace and she have a chemistry, a natural bond and harmony, they compliment each other's performance and reflect each other's charme like a magnifying mirror.
One of the most wonderful movies I have ever seen. Bought the DVD, should have bought the blu-ray and will do so now.
My DVD's got commentaries which explain a lot about howe the movie was done and how they worked with Catinca. VERY interesting!
on 2 July 2012
I had never heard of this film until I saw a trailer for it on some other DVD I was watching. It looked spectacular, and I was intrigued enough to buy the Blu-Ray, because the scenery looked astonishing. And, indeed, it was in the BluRay - everything HD should be.

The story itself is complex, set in a hospital in Los Angeles in the 1920s. A film stuntman (Roy) is recovering (not very well) from an accident, and feeling suicidal because his girl has left him for the Big Star. An immigrant child (Alexandria) is recovering from a broken arm from falling out of a tree. She roams about the place and starts talking to the stuntman, who tries to get her to fetch things for him, because he can't get out of bed; and, as a bribe for her services, he tells her a magical story about 5 outlaws battling the evil Governor Odius. The action flits back and forth between the real (the hospital) and the imagined, as Alexandria pictures the unfolding story of the outlaws, set against a background of stunning scenery, mainly from India, but apparently involving snippets from 25 different countries. It is a visual feast and especially wonderful in HD.

This film is utterly brilliant: humour, pathos, excellent acting (especially Catinca Untaru as the little girl), and - once again - stunning visuals: not CGI, for the most part, but real-world stuff, beautifully captured.

Buy it!
on 15 October 2017
I think this is one of those films that can be enjoyed by both children and adults.

Children would like the dreamy fairy-tale, panto-like scenes, while adults can follow the hidden story line which has a more mature, darker theme.

I enjoyed it enough that I would watch it again, which is rare for me. The seemingly effortless transitions back and forth between the fairy tale and reality are really excellent.
on 24 December 2015
I expected to adore this film, given what I saw in the trailer and read in the reviews, and I was not at all disappointed. The precision to detail, and absolutely stunning locations of filming were some of the best I have ever seen in a film. Visually it was perfect. The story was funny, romantic and remarkably heartbreaking all at once, and I must say they owe the momentum of it all to the two main cast members. Lee Pace is wonderful as ever, entirely convincing of his character, but the film was made by Catinca Untaru. What a stunning little actress! I thoroughly loved it, and I will be watching again soon. I'd say the age rating is accurate, but will be enjoyed by teenagers and older folks alike. I hope you enjoy if you do buy it!
on 17 August 2014
such a fantastic film! I was thinking ''what the hell'' when I first sat down and watched it, but as the film went on it got better and better. I love the surrealness of it, the colours, the imagery. The little girl is very sweet, and Lee Pace well...wow...that guy can ACT! He ain't just eye candy. This film had me crying my eyes out. Would recommend to anyone above 15 (there's some violent scenes) who loves fantasy and vivid imagery. I will be watching this again.