on 16 January 2016
The last Thomas story using both model trains and clay faces throughout. A brilliant personal story that follows Thomas as he discovers a new area of Sodor and watches as he deals with jealousy over the new engine Stanley. A fitting story to say good bye to the old way of doing things, concentrating on the main cast that we know and love with beautiful environments and a few thrilling moments that the kids love to watch. This is also the first feature length film that kicks off a yearly tradition of one being released a year from this point. Thomas fans old and new will love and appreciate this and even mum may be drawn into watching it just to here Pierce Brosnans voice as he narrates the film in place off Michael Angelis.
One person found this helpful
on 29 June 2009
My three year old son is addicted to Thomas and friends, so buying him this new video was a no brainer. Unlike the other videos that he has, however, he has only watched this one two or three times. in other words he doesn't really like it. Several points to make:

- To be honest the story seems rather convoluted and Thomas behaves out of character. Why introduce yet another engine when the existing cast is so extensive? (HIT probably wants to tell expensive toy models)

- Pierce Brosnon was an unusual choice for the narrator, but does a fair job of telling the story.

- Visually the story is still engaging but I would like to see HIT produce a CGI version of Thomas with different actor's voices for each of the engines.

- I would like to see more of the original story brought to life and to develop the existing characters a bit more.

All in all, this is an average video not a great one. It didn't cost much, so maybe i am criticizing it for something it never set out to be. What i am saying is that you may be better of with buying some of the other series rather than this.

on 28 December 2010
Having two sons who are avid Thomas fans - one of 5 and one of 2, I was keen to get this movie for them - particularly with Stanley in it as he was a new train to us. Unfortunately Pierce Brosnan as narrator killed it. Their interest went after the first half an hour - as did mine.

Although Mr Brosnan tries to put life into the characters his tones are too monotone, and he puts accents onto some of the voices for the trains, but changes them all the time - one minute Geordie, the next Manchester or Irish - all for the same train. It makes it confusing and difficult to follow.

My two loved The Magic Railway (a proper Thomas movie - not animation - with Alec Baldwin) and we now have Misty Island Rescue, which they have both been glued to, but the Great Discovery film gets ignored. Such a shame!
on 8 July 2009
This is another dvd in the Thomas & Friends series we purchased and it too is fantastic. Thomas & Friends: The Great Discovery [DVD] [2008] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]There is a part in the story where Thomas discovers an old town and he tells everyone and the Fat controller deceides to get everyone to help in the re-building of the town. Brilliant storyline and superb modelling as usual. I can relate to all Thomas's stories because I am in the process of building a model railway layout and Thomas and Friends is so full of ideas that watch them with my grandson, religously, every day. Great storyline and characters - go get it now. Highly recommended.
on 9 August 2013
I can't say I am overly keen on Pierce Brosnan's narration but then I didn't buy the film for myself. My sons love it which is the main thing, so much so that they killed the first copy so I have had to buy another one to replace it. It is a nice story where Thomas discovers a lost town. Thomas has a tantrum however when a new engine arrives on the island and as a result he runs off. There are some catchy songs which children can sing along to and subsequently so will any adult as the tunes tend to stick in your head. I would recommend this movie for any Thomas fan, young and old!
on 23 July 2012
What on earth gave the makers of this film the idea of using Pierce Brosnan as the narrator. What a boring expressionless voice he has for a childs film. My 4 year old kept asking when the real man was going to start telling the story. We found it very distracting hearing his voice, and completely lost thread of the story. My son said he never wants to watch this dvd again. Disapointed.
on 2 May 2018
What you would expect but doesn't workout that cheep.
on 16 March 2018
Replacement for worn out copy !
on 20 May 2016
Didn't relies it was an old version, but to be fair my grandson liked it.
on 4 March 2015
Great story we've now watched it several time, not sure Pierce Brosnan is the right person to narrate it though, he's a bit dour.