on 17 May 2015
I have only had this a week so this is an initial review.

This is really easy to set up, you do not have to have a degree in mechanics to do it. The instructions a clear but the multi language manual refers to figures inside the manual cover so flipping between the words and the diagrams need to be understood. A download single language manual is available from Melitta web site.

Initially I was very unhappy with the coffee results, the coffee taste was er... not my cup of tea. This was due to the coffee beans that I ordered at the same time as the machine being the Lavazza Qualita Rossa Coffee Beans. These beans may be fine for use in other machines and systems but for my taste in this machine the result was far from good, they were thrown away after experimenting with different coffee strengths to no avail. Maybe by changing the coffee grinder settings and heat something may have improved but I didn't investigate. Using the Espresso beans from the same company Lavazza totally transformed the taste. Great coffee, espresso and long coffee was a welcome experience to prove to me the money was well spent on this machine. When used with the milk frother for a latte or cappuccino the results were fantastic. Better than the high street in my experience. 13cm Latte glasses will fit under the variable height dispensing nozzles. Like most machines anything taller will require decanting the coffee after the brew.

This is a very simple and easy machine to use. Fill the bean hopper (you can use two different types of bean and flip a leaver to select which one to use) switch on, decide the amount of coffee, and press a button for either one cup or two. Brilliance in simplicity, no nagging inane text information it just gets the job done, and does it well.

The milk frother is easily detached for cleaning and is long enough to froth milk in deeper milk jugs, deeper than some other machines. It can be dropped a full 11cm into a jug.

Things of note that other reviewers have stated, the drip tray has to be emptied daily as the machine cleans both before and after power on and auto power off. I always leave a cup under the dispensing outlet to reduce the content of the drip tray but it still has to be emptied every day.

The Water filter cartridge supplied is a Claris screw in type that only filters when the machine is used thus prolonging the life of the filter however depending on the filter vendor replacements can be expensive. I use filtered water along side the filter cartridge to keep everything as scale free as possible and will change the filter every 2 months as is recommended. The screw in filters are allegedly the same as used by Krups, AEG, Bosch, Siemens but not the same as those used in Jura machines
23 people found this helpful
|66 Comments|Report abuse
on 11 November 2015
Life changing machine. I was an ok coffee person when my wife bought this. I did my due diligence on amazon looking at reviews, and hence the Melitta was shortlisted. But I am stunned by now how much I love the espresso and cappochinos (OK I can't spell this word!). The cappochinos are the same quality, and in some cases better, than the leading coffee chain shops. Frothing the milk is super easy. The detachable milk whisk is easy to clean (I do it in 30 seconds, and have it back on the machine immediately).

Easy to use, easy to clean, easy to become addicted to expressos. The price is crazy at the start, but when you calculate how much each coffee costs as the months go by, then you realise that even a 3 year lifespan would make it economical; and I have every reason to expect much much more from this machine.

I buy my cleaning products from Amazon marketplace. If you start a cleaning cycle and pop them in, the Melitta does the rest.

Lastly, it has 2 coffee bean compartments... and so you can have a regular daily coffee and then keep your best Sunday coffee in the other. It's a great way to experiment with new coffee beans, without having to commit to having them every day. Treat yourself, it's a Life changing product.
on 22 December 2015
Even though I only bought it a few days ago, I can tell it's worth the money. Its milk frother is quick, efficient and neat - probably the best option one can get for the milk preparation so I would definitely recommend it to cappuccino lovers. Very nice and simple design. Coffee tastes excellent - have only tried illy so far. Perhaps the only drawback is that, due to the self cleaning every time it's turned off, the water tank needs topping up and the drip tray emptying quite often. Not that I care but some people may find this annoying.
on 8 December 2015
Really simple to set up and even simpler to use. Bought on an offer for just over £330 and have to say worth every penny and then some.
Good part is you can use two types of beans, for when you either can't decide which or if your partner likes a different sort of bean.
Another good feature is the milk heater/frothier. Much more efficient than my last machine.
Cleaning is straight forward and takes just a short time.

Overall, a great machine. Is it worth £650? Well for me probably not, but for what I paid, I'm happy, very happy in fact
2 people found this helpful
on 12 November 2015
We had the De Longhi Magnifica for 2+ years without complaint apart from the difficulty in cleaning.

The quality of coffee from the Melitta is far superior. We have always tended to Lavazza Quality Rossa, and despite some comments on here it is pretty good. We use the Espresso in the other side, which is definitely better.

The only thing I have found so far is the instructions to set the water hardness in the manual do not appear to work.

It is extremely popular here, I suspect our coffee beans budget will be blown quite quickly.
on 8 May 2018
It is a great coffee maker. Had it for about 2 years now and the only niggle is the bean hopper. The twin hopper setup is almost a gimmick, you need to think about two cups ahead. The hopper itself has a very shallow angle and the beans do not flow freely into the grinder. The idea that you can push the button and walk away is optimistic. The reality is you have to stand over it in case the beans hang up or it cancels the brew. I have wasted a lot of coffee because of this.
on 21 January 2016
Consistently makes great coffee. It's stupidly easy to refill and to clean.

Top tip: The maximum water setting makes something that tastes more like filter coffee. For a long black, make an espresso (i.e. with minimum water) and then fill with hot water from another source.

Only niggle: the steam spout has an electric whisk on it - I wish there was a way to remove that or at least to switch it off. It's completely unnecessary.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 12 August 2015
Owned for a couple of months and really happy with this purchase which is used every morning without fail. No more stopping off on the way to work to get a coffee, I buy paper cups with lids from Amazon and make a cup every morning. Like other reviewers I find the Lavazza to be a good choice of bean and having tried four or five other brands I end up back with Lavazza.

It does seem to get through a fair amount of water and even though I collect the water at the start and end of every use the drip tray seems to get full easily but it is so easy to empty it is not really a complaint. I have not owned any other bean to cup machines but i doubt many are as good and reliable as this unit and I would buy another.
on 28 June 2016
I'll start off by saying that we don't know much about coffee machines! This is an upgrade from our previous Lavazza capsule machine. The coffee is much nicer and we enjoy having the freedom to choose whichever beans we want. It's great being able to use freshly roasted beans from our local roasters.
The milk frother works very well - heats the milk up much quicker than our Lavazza used to and gives a nice smooth foam.
We've only used this in factory setting mode and haven't changed anything more complicated yet but this suits us fine for now.
Overall very pleased with our purchase.
One person found this helpful
on 19 January 2015
I bought my machine month ago. I am very happy with it, especially that i found good promo on it. I was looking for good automatic machine for past few months. Milk frother works very well.
Few setting to change coffee temps. Which is very helfull, especially for them who likes their coffee hot. Not like delonghi when you will add splash of milk and coffee is cold. One minus that machine cleans itself twice, on the beggining and after. After few times aprox 10 u need to empty water tray and small tank just 1 L is not enought. But this is just minor problem. Overly very happy
3 people found this helpful