on 10 February 2010
It looks good on the website, but when you come to use it it is dreadful. Why? because you can't preset languages to translate. Imagine you are in a French restaurant wanting to translate some menu items to English. So, from turn on it is just two key strokes to get to the page to input the French word. That is fine. So now you input "oeuf" (which I happen to know means "egg"). But now to translate to English, you have to push the "target language" button 19 times to cycle round all the languages until you get to English. Then for every extra item on the menu, you have to do the same 19 button presses. This makes it impossible to use.
0Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 September 2010
I wish I had bought just an Eng/French translator instead of one that claimed to translate 20 languages. It only works if you type in an extremely common word such as cat, dog, beer. Similarly in French. So most of the words you encounter, as I found in france, are not in its dictionary.
on 2 December 2009
If you are looking for a few common phrases to help you tour many countries then this product is for you, if you need a device that will help you learn a specific language then this is NOT the right device.
on 2 June 2014
Very poor and very difficult to use. Would have been much better if they had concentrated on the translation side and loft the other features out of it.
on 2 January 2011
I was looking for an easy to use translator for the Russian language but it had to describe the words using English letters. I was disapointed to find that the Russian was in the Russian alphabet, which meant that the product was no good for my particular purpose. The actual operations of the translator are difficult to understand if like me you are a technophobe, but I suppose if you are into these types of gadgets, then they will be easy to understand. For me it would have been useful to know if the Russian words had been included with English phonetics, if it had told me this information then I would not have purchased the translator. The good news is that despite being a technophobe, I am using the translator so it cannot be that bad, maybe it's just my age. The qwerty keypad is well spaced out for the chubbier fingers and the style of the casing is quite attractive, for a bloke. All in all I am happy with this purchase, now then how do you use... sorry I've got to go and work this function out!
on 18 September 2015
Bought this Franklin TG112 device primarily to translate English/Danish - Danish/English whilst learning the Danish language, was not expecting too much from it as the price was a very reasonably £10 delivered. Researched around for an electronic language translator that covers English/Danish - Danish/English and found them to be few and far between. Danish is not one of the typical common languages like French, German, Italian, Spanish etc. Electronic translators that have Danish translation ability tend to be very hard to find, poorly supported, or just plain very expensive. Free Android translators, mmmm, yeah right, lots of work still needed before they become close to "nearly useful".

Had this thing for a few days and attempted to translate a random couple of dozen or more pretty common words from English to Danish and or, Danish to English, during this time I think it hit about one or two results with the remainder being changed [because my chosen word was unavailable] for the next available word up or down the Franklin database word list.

The seller was very helpful in the return of this device and it's subsequent refund. From my short use, I found this device be pretty close to useless and would be very hesitant at buying a replacement, higher priced alternative, unless I could actually use it for a short time before purchase. On this occasion the refunded money was better spent on a hard copy book - Danish-English, English-Danish (Routledge Bilingual Dictionary). Vastly superior in content and translation, but not as portable as this little device due to obvious weight and size - pros and cons - book wins hands down.
on 14 February 2015
We needed it for translations between Danish and English, and it could not translate even the most ordinary words. Moreover, it was not intuitively easy to use. Thus, we don't use it at all.
on 29 June 2014
Very poor unable to keep it fixed on desired language
on 14 April 2014
I use this to help some of my EAL pupils and it works a treat as it much more discrete than a giant paper dictionary on the table.
on 31 January 2014
its good if you want to learn set sentences ,but useless if you want to put you own in .not what I wanted