flexi Giant, Gurt, XL: 8 m, schwarz
Size: X-Large|Change

on 15 April 2018
Sadly we lost our old trusty red flexi classic retractable lead after almost 7 year’s daily use. After using the spare standard lead for a week whilst we searched high and low for the missing one - we gave up and knew that we needed to purchase a replacement.

Without hesitation we opted for another flexi retractable lead, but wanted something a little different just in case the old one reappeared.

This flexi Giant neon 8m one jumped out from all the ones on offer mainly due it’s colorful ribbon and extra 3m length. I can totally vouch for it.

Pros:

1) At £19.99 it’s £20 cheaper than offered in my local store; so at half price (!) a bargain although I’d quite happily pay full RRP if I wasn’t able to find it cheaper here.

2) Comfortable to hold and surprisingly light due to its ergonomic design; fits/rests in the palm of your hand rather nicely.

3) Easy to use buttons which give you the ability to stop your dogs in its tracks almost immediately at the press of a button.

4) A tough neon ribbon. I know this as we opted for the ribbon once again as opposed to the cord alternative.

5) The ribbon is VERY visible from far away. This is great for both you and fellow dog walkers who can decide whether they want to give you a wide berth if theirs is a shy or nervous dog.

6) Best of all, no more tangled leads, as everyone can see that your dog is on a lead giving both you and fellow dog walkers a couple of extra seconds to quickly shorten your respective dog leads!

Cons:
None

If you are looking for a dog lead, then look no further. An excellent lead from a reputable brand. Use this in conjunction with the Ancol bungee attachment (see my review for further details) for a truly pleasant dog walking experience.

I always take into consideration reviews left by others when choosing items. Please tick the ‘helpful’ button if you’ve found my review helpful. Thanks 😃
38 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2017
I'm loving having that extra 2meters. It still amazes me that Flexi have found a way to retract 10 whole meters of lead time and time again. Plus it can be easily seen in the dark. My other lead is an 8 meter but it's a cord, so when pooch runs circles round you you tend to get quite bad rope burns on the lower legs.
15 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2018
As a lead this is brilliant and gives the dog a great run, it’s not brilliant at recoiling but does if you get the dog to stop. However I only got this at the end of December and now it’s February so TWO months and it’s almost snapped,..., very disappointed in this and clearly is a quality issue.... for £30 you expect more. I am about to contact them to see if I get a replacement so I can see what their customer service is like, I think it should be replaced but out of my 30 day warranty 😡. I only have a labradoodle so not a massive dog but got a long lead and giant as his recall isn’t great but means he gets a longer run on his works when i do a road walk.
review image
9 people found this helpful
on 12 April 2017
I copied my review for another one of these as it is so good that we have bought another one for our new dog.

Brilliant item that is very hard wearing. We use it with our spaniel that ever stops moving so the mechanism has had a lot of use and has never shown any signs of wear in the year we have had it. The locking mechanism is very easy to use with just your thumb. It may be a little heavier than some makes but this is due to the increased length of the lead. It gives you 10m where as most only give you 5m. Your dog can run twice as far and so gets much more exercise more quickly.

If the lead gets dirty then you can fully extend it and press the lock button and just wash it in a sink of warm water. Leave it to dry fully before retracting it and it's like new again.

Other members of my family have now also bought this for their dogs as they we so impressed.
7 people found this helpful
on 15 October 2017
Easy to see, easy to use, strong and reliable. My only complaint is that I hadn't known this 4mths ago when I bought a different make that turned out to be spasmodic with the brake mechanism, turned out to be a total waste of money & nearly cost me my puppy. After that I vowed to never use a retractable lead again but was advised to try this lead. I'm so glad I did, it's restored my confidence-& my puppy's too! We now have wonderful walks-the lead is long enough for him to run 'free' through fields without causing sheep or farmers any worry but locks securely to walk along busy roads keeping him 'walking to heel' Neither of us has any worry of a bin lorry passing by (you can imagine what happened before) We are confident and happy, thanks to this lead!
5 people found this helpful
on 24 September 2017
I was searching for a longer lead for a crazy cocker who picks and chooses whether she responds to recall. It’s given her that little bit extra freedom and the fact it’s bright yellow is a bonus. She’s not great with other dogs and yellow I’m told acts as a warning (no good with other crazy dogs off leads who owners have no control over). It appears to be strong which for my little monkey is a must. Other reviews said about its weight but it’s not been an issue. My previous Flexi was corded and I have to say she’s not getting tied up in this one like she did before. So far, we both like it a lot
5 people found this helpful
on 4 March 2018
I first bought a Neon retractable lead 8 years ago and it is still going strong. However it was the model with the thin cord and it kept burning my firend's legs so I bought the model with the wider strap. This also worked well for 6 years but unfortunately the strap was partially burned on a camp fire and stopped retracting properly. Up until this time I recommended this lead to everyone who cared to listen because I was so impressed with this sturdy and highly visible lead myself. This last one I have bought however is a disappointment. The button that stops the lead extending does not always work and the locking button is often impossible to press down. As another reviewer has said, this unpredictable performance is potentially dangerous and, because I cannot always lock the mechanism my thumb aches from holding the button in place, either that or I have to involve two hands to lock it. I have had to revert to a normal length lead which is annoying because I cannot let my dog off the lead and he likes to have a bit of freedom when we are walking. I am really disappointed in this drop in what was impeccable standard.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 February 2018
I bought this lead after recommendation from several people on a beagle facebook page I'm on. My husband somehow manages to keep breaking our extendable leads- so I bought this one, which seems to have stood it's ground so far! The tape is quite long and so far it hasn't got stuck when trying to retract (which is a problem I usually have with tape leads). My only gripe with this lead is that it is quite big and quite heavy! It's good for an arm workout! At least if I'm attacked while walking the dog at night, I can whack them in the face with this thing and do some damage!
3 people found this helpful
on 10 November 2016
This is the third retractable lead I have bought for my dog and after the failure of both previous mid range leads I decided to go for a quality one this time.

The difference is marked. The stop mechanism is very solid and makes a reassuring noise as it operates, it is loud enough that my dog stops as soon as she hears it and tends to start to return.

It is heavier than my previous leads but it is a few metres longer but I think it is better quality in the mechanism that probably makes it a little heavier - a slight inconvenience I am happy to put up with. Despite the extra weight I actually find the lead easier to hold, it fits my hand well and is a good angle to reach the controls easilly.

I was a little worried about the open nature of the lead but it is fine and I take other reviewers comments on board that it stops things gumming up the works as it is easy to clean.
4 people found this helpful
on 21 November 2017
I do love this lead, easy to see to entangle, did have to buy a replacement as the dog twisted as I fell and it did get well and truly stuck, although was under pressure, husband took apart and just didn't seem right after that but it was so locked we couldn't do anything to sort it. I bought a new replacement as the dog is a strong hunter and a new rescue so can't let off the lead and I still love this. Had two different makes before and nearly every walk they seem to lock and get stuck whereas this one has had a few hundred walks and never locked. I have the large, people says it heavy but feels absolutely fine to me, I walk about 4 miles holding on to it with no worries. The only thing I would say is I have large hands, female 6ft tall and my hands fit in it, but hubby struggles getting his hand in the handle comfortably.
2 people found this helpful