on 7 September 2017
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! A real 'feelgood' film! If like me, you are old enough to remember when Abba first started making hits in the 70's, then you will love it too! By the end of it, I was wishing I was Julie Walters character...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 August 2017
I love this film and could watch it over and over again. I downloaded it to watch while away on a camping trip and enjoyed it just as much as all the previous times!!
I would recommmmed it for anyone whether they like abba or not as it's very entertaining.

You are very welcome to ask any questions about my experience with this product.

If you found this review helpful, please click on the “Yes” button below.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2013
What to do when you hate musicals but love Abba? I was born in 1965 and thus lived through Abba's glory years. But to me the songs are songs with depth and meaning, whereas by moulding them into an artificial story - whilst cleverly done - means that the songs are now taken out of context, their meaning cheapened, their depth negated.

Add in the screaming by the `women', the false bonhomie, and the incessant gushing, I could only conclude that this film was not for me! (The DVD was originally bought for my mother.) Sure there are moments of interest, such as when for a split-second Meryl appears exactly like Botticelli's `Venus' (I assume it was done deliberately), or when Colin naively apes James Bond by introducing himself as "I'm Bright, Harry Bright", just before Piers Brosnan introduces his own character. But the humour is weak: the only time I laughed was when Julie Walters falls into the water.

A word about the generous extras. The director's commentary is full of interest on the making of the film in all its aspects, but if your heart is not in the film, then there is very little you can do except keep ironing. (I always listen to DVD commentaries when ironing.) There are also eight minutes of deleted scenes; a deleted song (`The Name of the Game'); two minutes of outtakes; a twenty-five minute `making of' documentary; and other minor short films about the film. But the best extra of all is the singalong track, which I made much use of, much to my partner's amusement and disdain.

Because, in the end, it is the music that is the be-all and end-all of this film. Three-star film: five-star music.
on 21 March 2012
This 2008 film is 108 minutes long. Rated PG-13 for some sex-related comments.

Set on a Greek island, the plot is told via a collection of ABBA songs. Sophie ( Amanda Seyfried ) who is about to be married discovers that any one of three men could be her father. She invites all three, Bill ( Stellan Skarsqhard ), Harry ( Colin Firth ) and Sam ( Pierce Brosman ) to the wedding without telling her mother, Donna ( Meryl Streep ), who was once the lead singer of Donna and the Dynamos. In the meantime, Donna has invited her backup singers, Rosie ( Julie Walters ) and Tanya ( Christine Baranski ).
The music of ABBA, comedy and romance what more can you ask for ? If your a die hard ABBA fan you may not like this but the genius of the soundtrack shines through. The cast appear to have put their hearts into the roles and even Mr Brosman gave his singing vocal chords a blast.

Julie Walters provides much of the comedy and is a joy to watch. Donna and the Dynamos are not a bad group, I have seen and heard worse on Top of the Pops & X Factor.

You also get Cameo appearances of Benny Andersson ( piano player ), Björn Ulvaeus ( Greek god ) and Rita Wilson ( Greek godess ). Rita Wilson is Tom Hanks wife ( the film was distributed in partnership with Tom Hanks' and Rita Wilson's Playtone and Littlestar )

It's an enjoyable film if you can forget the perfection of the ABBA originals.

The following songs are included in the film :-

"I Have a Dream" - Sophie
"Honey, Honey" - Sophie, Ali and Lisa
"Money, Money, Money" - Donna, Tanya, Rosie and Greek Chorus
"Mamma Mia" - Donna, Sophie, Ali, Lisa and Greek Chorus
"Chiquitita" - Rosie, Tanya and Donna
"Dancing Queen" - Tanya, Rosie, Donna, Greek Chorus and Company
"Our Last Summer" - Harry, Bill, Sam and Sophie
"Lay All Your Love on Me" - Sky, Sophie, Sky's Bachelor party friends.
"Super Trouper" - Donna, Tanya and Rosie
"Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" - Sophie, Donna, Tanya, Rosie, Ali, Lisa and Greek Chorus
"The Name of the Game" - Sophie (deleted scene)
"Voulez-Vous" - Donna, Sam, Tanya, Rosie, Harry, Bill, Sky, Ali, Lisa and Pepper
"SOS" - Sam, Donna and Greek Chorus
"Dancing Queen" (Reprise) - Donna, Rosie and Tanya
"Waterloo" - Donna, Rosie, Tanya, Sam, Bill, Harry, Sky and Sophie
"Thank You for the Music" - Sophie
on 8 September 2014
What a masterpiece, what a work of art, and what an amazing cast. Where else would you see Mr Darcy cast as a gay, James Bond as a lovelorn hero and the tough Stellan Skarsgard as the romantic wanderer. The film is at times very emotional with Meryl Streep doing an excellent job as Donna who cannot believe that the love of her life has suddenly appeared in her goat house, along with the two men she had affairs with in order to forget him!!!
I am very envious of the fact that Christine Barenskis legs seem to go up to her shoulders, what a performer, the dance routine on the beach is magnificent, and Julie Walters seems to create laughs all the way through.
The stage musical is great, but this film downloaded onto my Kindle means I can sing along and smile or just get emotional absolutely anywhere.
on 27 May 2012
I've got to say - I hate musicals. But I bought this little gem for my wife, and she absolutely loves it.
From my perspective the plot was a 3rd class citizen, the acting was rubbish and, given the calibre of the actors/actresses, it must have been by design. From her perspective it's the greatest movie we own because not only can you watch...you can sing-a-long too. (memo to me: sound of music next year)

I think, if you are looking for a serious piece of cinematography - forget it. If you want to watch some famous people have an absolute scream, whilst pratting around and singing (I use the word generously - but it's passable enough) Abba songs - then this could be the movie for you.

I can't deny it has given a lot of pleasure in our household - just not to me!
on 13 March 2014
This was purchased for my sons who love musicals.

Forget the fact that it's a silly story, and that the story's been worked around the songs. It's just a fun film with Abba songs.

The Mamma Mia number is fun, and Meryl Streep and Julie Walters are brilliant in it!

I have read other reviews saying how dreadful the music is and it's not a "serious" story, etc, etc. Here's a tip, if you don't like Abba, then chances are you won't like this film. If you want something serious, you probably won't like it either. If you just want a fun film to watch for a couple of hours, and want to sing along to songs then this is a good film to watch! Besides which, my sons sing along and love it!
VINE VOICEon 18 August 2013
You either "get" this film or you don't. I've seen the stage show which is brilliant and the basis for this movie adaptation. Merly Streep is just superb, showing a fun side to her character and singing really well. Pierce Brosnan - well, he can't sing but he has the physicality that the part requires and the rest all play their parts well.

We have the DVD and now the Blu Ray and the Blu-Ray is better. The film is shot mainly out of doors and really sparkles in HD. It just looks so clear. Sound is also spot on with great clarity all the way through.
on 4 February 2016
It has become one of my favorite feel good movies to watch. Initially I wasn't sure what to expect from a movie using Abba songs and the cast seemed to me to be of an unusual choice - but after watching it several times - I don't think that the movie could have worked as well with other actors. It is virtually impossible not to get caught up with the blast that the cast appear to have had, how the songs were used to create or reflect on certain events in the story line, and for me personally, even if some of the actors may not have been as 'polished' in their singing made the whole movie (and characters) much more real and enjoyable to watch.
on 13 January 2018
100% fun film to watch. It's great to see these actors normally associated with such serious roles simply enjoying themselves so much.

Thank you for the music.