on 3 December 2016
This one includes the very first episode - brilliant to see how it evolved over the years. It's not just a trip down memory lane, but still relevant, culturally diverse and educational for today's kids. Ironically though, being from before the political correctness movement there's a "warning" that the content might not be suitable for young children.
on 22 February 2010
I bought this for my 2 year old. Actually, I bought it more for me because I loved Seasame street growing up, and I just think that nothing on cbeebies is quite like it. The actual box set is 3 dvds, one has two episodes and the other 2 have 2 episodes, so thats 5 episodes in total. I thought it was a bit pricey, but when I got it its worth it. With Sesame street there is a lot of repetition of the same clips so with these 5 episodes there is some repeats like of the number 2 skit and W skits. But to be honest I don't think myu little one notices it, and it just reinforces the learning for her.

So my little one has been watching cbeebies really, adn we have just started to get some dvds for her. TO be honest sesame street is absolutely brilliant!! A couple of days ago we were reading a bed time story and she pointed to the letter W and said thats a W. I said how did you know that. She said that the cookie monster ate the letter W thats how she knew. She now also knows the letters M and d. I will def be getting more of these movies.

The picture quality is not brilliant, this was made in the 70s so the costumes are 70 style and colours not that bold. Its not the fault of the dvd at all its the fault of the video quality in the 70s. But the dvd itself is excellent. Would recommend to any parent wanting more from cartoons and wanting something educational. For me its a trip down memory lane and will def be getting the next one.
8 people found this helpful
on 20 January 2009
I grew up with Sesame Street - not quite the pilot that's included in this DVD set, but I definitely remember some of the other stuff. And it's better than I remember. Definitely educational (although watch out for "zee" instead of "zed" - I got in trouble with this along with at least half my class when I started school), but also a lot of fun. My 2yo son enjoyed sitting down to watch it with me, and it gave us a lot to talk about afterwards. It's educational without being in your face about it. He especially enjoyed the "misbehaving spots." (I think you have to watch it to know what I'm talking about there, but it's about recognising patterns...)
10 people found this helpful
on 27 March 2013
This was bought ready for when my grandchild is old enough to properly watch it. I still remember all the numbers songs, like my childhood was just yesterday, im 46yrs old. I never forgot this prog and still believe it to be the best teaching prog. I heard they stopped showing it in this country because of the different words the US have for regular stuff such as eggplant (aubergine), zuccini (courgette). They don't want to confuse our children........shame!!!
on 29 January 2015
It is interesting to see episode 1 but it's a little slow going for modern children. Methinks the format doesn't hit its stride until season 3. Mind you, this is not just a nostalgia trip for a member of Gen X. My toddler, who is not quite two, loves these early Sesame Streets.
on 9 April 2016
Fed up with modern "educational" childrens tv so I got these for grandson. We are now having one episode in the morning after breakfast and one just before bedtime and don't bother with the likes of CITv or CBeebies any more.
on 27 February 2017
I bought this for my Granddaughter as I loved Sesame Street myself as a boy, I hope she loves it like I did, fun and education, nothing like this on TV today!
on 25 May 2011
There's an apparently legally-required disclaimer at the beginning of the DVD that says something along the lines of "This collection is meant as a nostalgic look back for grown-ups who were raised on 60's-70's Sesame Street, and does not meet the educational standards of today's pre-school children." What??? I know a lot has changed since 1970, but the last time I looked we were still using the same alphabet and the numbers 1 to 10. How bizarre.

The saddest thing about seeing this now is that it just kindof proves that art really doesn't influence life as much as many would claim/hope. If it did, then the US generation of 60's-70's Sesame Street-watching kids would have grown up to be overwhelmingly non-racist, gentle, sharing, tolerant - and literate. Sadly, it often doesn't feel like this has turned out to be the case.
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 30 March 2017
brought back memeories
on 1 July 2012
Wonderful bit of nostalgia for us middle agents parents of a pre-schooler! We have fond memories of the actors, muppets and daft animations - plus, it really DOES get down to the nuts and bolts of learning numbers and letters. Agreed, some stuff is very dated but my 2 year old adores it already, enough said. It's never been bettered! 5 episodes of old-school magic.