Style Name: Plant Food Starter Kit|Change

on 17 July 2010
This is the second type of water/feeder i have had from "Miracle-Gro" .. the other was the feeder with a reservoir underneath. I found that first type to be highly ineffective. The solution never mixed or feed out HOWEVER this second type (Liquafeed) is brilliant ! It is easy to use and im confident that the plants get a good measure of food. There are 3 settings that make easy work of boarders/beds and lawns plus a choice to switch off the feed and use plain water. Watch the water pressure on your hose though, i found a higher pressure was best.
I have tended to use Miracle-Gro plant food in granular form and applied this using a watering can, which was fairly laborious. I therefore decided to try out the automatic feeder a couple of years ago to see if this would speed up the process. Whilst my water pressure is fairly good, the feeder reduced the water flow through the hose to the extent that I found the process took at least twice as long as applying water alone. The plants were healthier after application, so it seemed to have the desired effect, even if it did not reduce the application time as much as I had hoped for.

My first feeder developed a fault within a short time of purchase and was replaced by the manufacturer. The replacement worked well for a year but this year it stopped adding any feed to the water and I have been unable to get it to work again. I tried a replacement bottle but with no success. Unfortunately the bottles of feed seem to be sealed units and I have only been able to use up the contents by cutting the top off, which was not ideal.

Miracle-Gro as a plant food is certainly very effective and my plants grow more healthily after application but the feeder just did not work for me. I have decided to go back to manual application of Miracle-Gro with a watering can; at least you can be certain the plants are being fed.
on 12 February 2012
For the money this product is good quality. The only drawback is you need a good hosepipe pressure for it to dispense the feed at a reasonable rate. Summary; Only buy this product if you have high water pressure.
on 22 September 2013
Absolutely pleased with the system. It does all it says it does. Makes life so much easier, no measuring, no mixing, just the right does, and so easy to attach and disconnect to and from the waterstop hose connector.
Jean
on 14 May 2015
I've been using this for 4 years - same applicator, I just buy refills in packs of 2 or 4.

In my experience if you use this once a week or every 2 weeks during the growing season, plants explode in size. Saw that 3 and then 2 years ago, and now again this year, when I'm using it very diligently. On the other hand I got lazy last year and did not use it at all, and everything grew very poorly in comparison.

The effect might differ according to your soil type, garden aspect etc. In my case it seems to be very effective, probably because otherwise my garden is probably a rather poor setting. Very heavy clay, almost permanently in the shade.

Watering all my garden, 3-5 seconds per plant, consumes one bottle, so it can get expensive.

The only problem I have had is the sometimes the bottles' valve does not open properly when screwed in, and you might actually be spraying with just water! Look for the telltale bubbles going up the bottle. If you do not see any, then the valve is probably jammed. In that case I take a pointy object and just push it through into the bottle, then rescrew. This probably ends up delivering a slightly higher dose, so I work faster in that case.
on 15 July 2009
IT HAS WORKED WONDERS IN MY GARDEN I AM VERY PLEASED AND IT IS SO EASY
on 4 October 2010
This item is excellent value for money I have used a couple times and I know it will last me a long time as not much liquid as been used, wish I bought it ages ago.
on 1 July 2011
plant food is great but the dispenser is absolute rubbish, it only managed to dispense 1/4 of a bottle before the flow of plant food stopped permanently.
on 31 July 2013
Not happy at all with the connection, it just leaks all the time. Would be great if that was fixed
on 2 August 2015
Love this easy to use plant food attachment, just pop in the bottle and you are ready.
Easy, no measuring required!
Just remember to turn the attachment the right way round before you turn on the water (the weight of the bottle makes you think that's the way to point it, remember the water comes out the other side, so think before you turn on)!!