Customer reviews

Conor Oberst
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 August 2008
Conor Oberst is the frontman, songwriter, guitarist, lyricist, mastermind, and pretty much everything else behind the alt country masterpiece of a band known as Bright Eyes. This is unlikely to be news to anyone. However, this is Conor Oberst's fourth solo album to be released, and I'll be honest with you I didn't even know he had any previous solo work - such is the rarity of the older work. They were never released on CD, but on cassettes in limited stock.

I'm a huge fan of Bright Eyes; from the country stuff to the more indie mainstream stuff, I love the lot. However, I found myself writhing a bit with their last release Cassadaga. It wasn't that the music was bad, it was the level of production that had seemingly made it's way onto the album. I've always loved the raw folky sound, and the whiney vocals accompanying to dramatic affect. With this release you see Conor Oberst doing a more stripped down show yet again, very reminiscent of 'I'm Wide Awake it's Morning'. The album contains his more countryish, acoustic pieces accompanied by his beautiful, knowledgable lyrics. Opening song 'Cape Carnaveral' is simply stunning.

If you're a Bright Eyes fan, then this review will have made no difference to you whatsoever, I'm sure you'll just get it. If you're new to the world of Conor Oberst, then you really can't go wrong with this album. Think Ryan Adams crossed with Elliott Smith, and you'll understand what you're getting. Honest lyrics, soaring acoustic guitar chords, and in depth stories creating a superb return to the solo stand.
on 15 September 2008
I enjoy this album a lot, mostly because i really enjoy Conor Oberst's songwriting. However I would recommend this album to listeners who are not entirely familiar with Conor Oberst's songwriting, as it is simple display of Conor's songwriting talents without attempting to push any boundaries, or over-simplifying the music.

I would say this album provides a typical mix of his songs written in his typical pop/country manner, combined with full on country numbers like "I Don't Wanna Die (In The Hospital)" and folk/acoustic tracks like "Milk Thistle". If you have listened to say, Radiohead, Oasis and Bob Dylan, and could imagine a cross between all three, then this is your thing.

Oberst's lyrics can be natural and confessional like on Moab ("You can't break out of a circle you never knew you were in"..."There's nothing that the road cannot heal") and Milk Thistle ("If I go to Heaven I'll be bored as Hell, like a crying baby at the bottom of a well"). But he shows a more ambiguous, analgous and story-teller side too, on tracks like Danny Callahan ("Western medicine couldn't save Danny Callahan etc"). In my opinion this versatility provides old and new Oberst fans something, and I would definitely recommend it.
on 13 July 2015
Shades of Paul Simon, the Doors, Lou Reed and perhaps Dylan. This is an album that creeps up on you until you feel you have grown up with the gentle lilt of, for example, Cape Canaveral - Oberst's music seems to have been around forever but strangely it is new.
How he is not a world-wide phenomenon beats me; maybe he just can't be rushed?
on 10 August 2008
I'd disagree with the previous reviewer that this is "a more stripped down show yet again, very reminiscent of 'I'm Wide Awake it's Morning'." There are less of what I'd call simple yet profound songs, and more in your face, country music that almost makes you want to stand up and dance around in a big white tent. There's three of the former, at most.

I do agree with this fact though... 'Cape Canaveral' is simply stunning, and could literally make me cry. The last song too (Milk Thistle) is beautiful, and again really renders me speechless... And as Oberst blurts out "Up and Down" almost out of nowhere it's almost as if he's summing up the whole record. To me this is bitter sweet country folk encased either side with two simply sad songs. They alone are worth the price.

All in all if you're looking for a song like "First Day of my Life" there are three here at most, and they are all beautiful. The rest are more akin to something like "Another Travelling Song" off I'm Wide Awake...

It is for the most part fast and jaunty, and reminds me of some old American film with people dancing around in a bar or around a maypole... but it can't be faulted. I don't know what Connor meant it to be, but it feels like a manic trip. It feels so sad, yet by track 7 you want to just jump around... by track 12 you'll want to cry again. Then some more when it's over.
on 10 August 2016
Bright eyes are genius,Conor Oberst is a genius,brilliant album!
VINE VOICEon 31 May 2010
I was browsing through the Bright Eyes section in my local FOPP when the helpful young lady suggested this might be more to my taste as it had "less of the whiny teenage bedroom navel gazing" than the stuff he does with the band. She was right in that after a few jarring listens to Cassadaga it was dispatched to Oxfam.
This is better for sure. I'm not entirely convinced though. It takes more than a few references to the bible to make a Dylan.. there is also still quite a resemblence to the anodyne Al Stewart of the 70s. Nothing too embarassing to listen to (except maybe NY-gone, and the adolescent conch noises)-overall it lacks attitude, but scrapes into the collection for now at least.
on 10 October 2014
Good for fast deleving
on 20 August 2008
This is a Bright Eyes album in all but name, which basically means it is brilliant. As my title says, Conor Oberst can do no wrong, whether it's under the guise of Bright Eyes or as a solo-ist. Each song is a lyrical tour-de-force. There is something for everyone, up tempo numbers which will have you tapping your feet, slow numbers which will make you sit back and think because of their lyrical beauty. If anyone deserves the tag of the new Dylan (hundreds have had the label, none have deserved it) then it is Oberst. I have given this album three or four listens thus far, and I have always found Bright Eyes albums to be growers, they require a few listens before being engrained. This one will probably be no different. The lack of a fifth star is because I don't think it quite matches up to 'I'm wide awake...' but then what does? So far I have been most taken with the up tempo numbers such as Sausalito, but that is probably because they are instantly more catchy than the slow numbers. I'm looking forward to laying in bed in darkness and listening to the slow numbers then I can hopefully come back and give this five stars instead!
on 26 August 2016