on 24 March 2017
There are times when you don't want to make a whole pot of coffee, or just want a quick cup or mug of coffee on the run. This is absolutely ideal for precisely that purpose. Easy to keep clean, efficient and with a quick transfer between water, coffee grounds and cup or mug. Half full this will fill an ordinary coffee cup, or completely full for a mug. You can make the coffee as strong as you want with one spoon for average tastes and more if you like it stronger. So, paper filter, ground coffee and boiling water. It's almost like instant coffee, but it tastes a hell of a lot better. My mother always had one of these in her kitchen when I was younger, but it met an untimely and unfortunate demise under the foot of a builder. It's taken years before we found another one here on Amazon - none of the stores on our rock stock them for some reason. It's perfect for a quick good tasting coffee whether at home alone, or in the office - and the best thing is that every cup you make is fresh. No going stale on the hotplate of the machine, no manky flavour from sitting around for half a day, just good hot fresh coffee every time - and it fits in a decent sized lunch box too so ideal for the office as well as home. Now that we have one again, we won't be relying on instant coffee for a quickie ever again.
on 31 March 2017
OK, but not great if you like strong coffee.
The holes in the bottom are too big, and the ridges inside are very deep.
This results in the coffee draining through very quickly indeed resulting in a rather weakcup of coffee.
on 29 December 2012
Perfect.
Makes one or two cups with no fuss.
Takes my 1/2 filters fine. (might take bigger ones).
Will sit on a jug or any cup.
Slightly flexible so shouldn't shatter like my old one... has survived several drops so far.
I'm no gourmet, but never notice any "plastic" flavour to my coffee.
Does drain a little faster than my old one though.
on 1 June 2012
I was looking for a small Melitta Cone to replace my old well used Melitta one.
When the new one arrived I was disappointed to find out that the hole in the new one is 3 times bigger than in my old one. With the new cone, if I use the same amount of coffee as before, I get a very weak drink, and to get the drink I am used to I have to put twice as much coffee as before.

Pity that in the coffee cones' descriptions the important information about the number of holes and their diameter is omitted.

Melitta is still one of the best cones available, I will be using it no doubt, but I would need to find the way to reduce the size of the hole (or buy more coffee!)...
44 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2013
I bought this filter cone having thrown away too many plastic one-time individual coffee filters (and their two free lids).

I use Melitta filter papers (Size: 1 x 2; one pound twentyish for 40 papers) and two scoops (scoop provided) of espresso ground Lavazza.

If the coffee is not espresso ground then it's not fine enough and the hot water will rush over the ground coffee and you get a very flavourless cup of coffee. I know, I tried some 'suitable for all coffee makers' coffee and it wasn't suitable!

It's environmentally friendly as filter the paper and ground coffee go straight into my compost bin and the cone gets rinsed and re-used.
on 23 September 2015
This is a fantastic cone. Tried many (Clever, Hario), but always came back to this one.

This cone makes wonderful pour over coffee with the least amount of fuss. Combine this with the Melitta 2 cup filter paper (normally cheaper at the supermarket).

I suggest you buy good quality freshly roasted coffee from a specialist - ask for it to be ground for a pour over.
on 6 August 2012
Good product, taken it to work for use there.
Water does run through quite quickly if you fill it up all in one go however if you do it a little at a time then you get a nice cup of coffee. Much more cost effective than buying the single use, disposable pre-filled cup-top coffee filters and works just as well, plus you get to choose your coffee!
Would recommend it to others
on 21 April 2013
For me buying an expensive machine is pointless. This little cone, plus filters bought separately at any supermarket makes coffee as good as it gets. Go for it!
on 19 February 2015
Simple,tried and tested way of making coffee - fits over a mug,jug or a coffee thermos. First discovered these in Sweden in 1962 and have used them ever since. An amazing number of people don't know about them and spend hundreds on fancy machines,silly cafetierres etc.

A great buy. Slightly worrying that the filter papers are not always in stock in either Tesco or Waitrose.
on 25 February 2013
Why spend out on coffee machines when with this thing, a grinder and a filter paper produces extra superb coffee.