Customer reviews

on 16 December 2013
i do not like this as much as the bootleggers daughter , but still a good cd , with some interesting lyrics.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 June 2009
The sepia-toned cover takes you back in time and places you in a slightly sentimental, wild-west kind of mood at the fun fair, and you want to know what fun the people were having back then. And fun they would have had, and fun they needed to relieve and break the dreary routine of everyday living, which was often a struggle.

The CD starts playing, and all is revealed about life, love and harsh times, song by song. We get an insight into the life of all these ordinary people told in a very caring way, and Rachel takes us through broken hearts, yearning for love, pining for lost ones, building work and mining

And yet, it is all being delivered with Rachel's soft voice and backing vocal harmonies, sometimes in a slow waltzing rhythm, which you can glide along to, and which takes you far away into a daydream: the City of Refuge, which provides respite. At other times the tempo is more upbeat, and occasionally you detect a touch of the blues. The CD includes a fabulous version of the `Old Time Religion'.

The instruments speak their own language, lovely, gentle and very effective in taking us back in time - in particular the clarinet, fiddle and mandolin stand out for me.

The little prairie springs to mind, and you can imagine Laura singing and dancing along to the tunes on this CD. I can't wait to see Rachel live in concert next week!
on 13 June 2009
This is a tough one, I should hate this record. For as long as I can remember I have had an irrational fear / distrust of anyone involved in `country music'. The sight of a Stetson is enough to make me reach for my pistol and consider going postal. Remember that club owner in the Blues Brothers movie? "...yes boys, we play both types of music here. Country and Western". Gah!

I don't know how Rachel Harrington positions her stuff in terms of genre but I figure it is likely to be either the former or the latter. But spit on my hog I like it.

A chap called Mike Grigoni plays pedal steel on a number of tracks and delivers a driving accompaniment on tracks that veer from AOR to gospel and support a lovely voice. This record works I think, because of the mix of styles and Rachel's strong voice and capacity to change styles. Rather than being just another Nashville wannabe she elevates herself above the crowd with some smart song selection and a whole bunch of talent. It is easy to understand why folks are excited by this singer on the other side of the Atlantic.

I must of heard a dozen versions of `old time religion' but whilst hers is in danger at the start of becoming a little too rag it is pulled back spectacularly and flows into another traditional number `Working on a building'. Both songs are innovative arrangements. `Truman' and `Karen Kane' are the standouts amongst the original compositions.

Strongly recommended by a non-believer, I just hope none of my mates read this review.