Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Exclusive playlist - Elton John Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 July 2008
just bought this record. was seduced by Carla with her sensual and volutuous voice on "quelqu'un..." and i must say i loved "no promises". i I am french so i have some linguistic advantage on this album. ok, tough world, stabbing everywhere, every day. personally had enough of this doom and gloom, so it was nice to get home , put a few candles, pour a glass of wine and put on this album. this was serenity personified , you forget where you are and enjoy this moment. Carla, many thanks for such a jewel. every song is right , just so right ... and if you are not french, who cares, just enjoy the voice , the rhythm and the tranquility... and please chill out !!! you will listening to this album for many years to come... as Carla says... les grands amours !
VINE VOICEon 24 September 2008
2007's No Promises, made before Carla Bruni became Mrs Sarkozy, was a surprisingly good album considering it's concept. A French-Italian super model setting music to 11 classic poems, including works by the likes of WB Yeats, Emily Dickinson, WH Auden and Dorothy Parker...who wouldn't want to avoid that like the plague?

But here we are, 12 months down the line and Bruni has done it again. Only the one song is in English this time, You Belong To Me, and this proves to be a wise move. The bubbly Je Suis Une Enfant is one highlight, the breathy and sophisticated sound of Le Temps Perdu is another. But in reality there's not really much on the album that you wouldn't want to listen to again and again.

But there is no way that Comme si de rien n'etait can be seen in any other context that being by the wife of the French president, if only to consider the sheer horror of Cherie Blair trying the same after her attempt at a Beatles song in the far east that time. Few will probably care about any political context if we're being honest, unless they are a broadsheet music critic with an agenda, and tackling the album from this perspective does it a disservice. On it's own merits, away from the context of Bruni's very public private life, you can accept it for what it is - another surprisingly good album that will delight and charm you in equal measures.
on 19 September 2008
Has hardly been off my player since I bought it.

A journalist commenting on her recent UK television appearance with Jools Holland said a beautiful woman in a Chanel trouser suit could recite a telephone directory in French and still sound good. But these lyrics are not from a directory. Sometimes childlike, sometimes mature, they are delivered in a breathy voice that at times can sound diffident, but that only adds to its charm.

I speak reasonable French so can understand most of the lyrics, though I did have to look up "Tu es ma came" (something like "you are my drug") but I think even non-francophones would enjoy this collection's ambience, intimate delivery and pared down accompaniment.
on 21 September 2008
I am in love with a voice and though I sadly don't understand the words the emotion touches my heart. Carla could be singing about cleaning out the cooker but I doubt it. This is so wonderfully french; stylish, sexy, gorgeous. I'm wandering the narrow streets of Montmartre from the comfort of my sofa and loving every moment. What lovely music. What a singer. My wife now plays this CD more than me. She adores it.
on 21 July 2008
I bought this on holiday in France - I already had Carla's other two albums. I have to say that I much prefer this to No Promises - the words seem to fit so much better with the music. The sound is very distinctively Carla, mellow and very beautiful. If you liked her first album, you will no doubt like this too.
on 7 August 2008
Each song is a gem. The voice is low, seductive and disarmingly charming. One can listen to this selection again and again...and again without tiring of it. That Carla Bruni should be France's First Lady only adds to the frisson.
on 11 December 2009
The cheesy start to the first song needs to be ignored as it then livens up to a happy, light song. The remainder are superbly sung with Carla's beautiflu voice just right for the more laid back style of the album. I bought it to help with my French and I have to admit that I really like it and rate it as an album on it's own. I'll be buying her others now. Well worth it.
on 26 July 2008
Si Carla la radieuse murmure à mon oreille
"L'amoureuse", "Ta tienne" ou "Je suis une enfant",
J'ai "illico presto" l'intime sentiment
Qu'elle et moi, quelque part, sommes un peu pareils...
on 29 January 2013
I found this album after hearing an extract from the song "Je suis l'amoureuse" on a episode of Chuck :) I think a lot of people had the same experience.

It's very rare that I ever find an album containing only songs that I greatly enjoy. In fact, I don't think it's ever happened before. But this album does it for me. There isn't a single dud song on this one, as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely first class.

I was so impressed by this album that I also ordered her first. Sadly, that one is a disappointment to me in comparison with this one. Never mind.
on 15 February 2013
Beautifully sung and arranged, I could listen to lots of this... thank you for this well-devised album released at just the right time