on 13 January 2014
Bought these for our 18-month old for Christmas, and he loves them. He likes anything that rotates, and these were an instant hit. He plays with them every day, and it didn't take him long to work out how to slide them together so the cogs mesh and start turning. The forward-off-reverse switch is a little fiddly for small fingers but after a couple of weeks he has managed to master it.
These are the first stop when he goes in the kitchen (rather than the dogs water bowl which was the favourite before!) and he now likes to pull them all off and throw them on the floor, then pick them up and stick them back on.
They are very well made and stand up to the punishment well. The motorised cog, also has some sort of clutch, so that the slightest touch will stop it from turning so there won't be any mangled little fingers!

There are some minor points which while they do not detract from the toy (especially for the little ones) it would be improved if they were addressed:
- As mentiond already, the switch is fiddly, and doesn't move very far. It's no problem for adults and older children, but the young ones can find it frustrating.
- There are only the 6 pieces shown. Another couple would be a huge improvement and allow many more combinations, or an add-on pack(s) so they could be expanded.
- They scratch! I'm sure something could be done with them to prevent them from scratching - the corners of the magnets could be rounded off, or perhaps covered altogether.
on 31 May 2010
I bought this toy for my 9 year old daughter who suffers from autism. My daughter took to this toy like a duck to water. It is very good for eye and hand co-ordination.

I would recommend this toy to any parent who has a child 1-6 years. Also anyone who has a child who suffers from autism. It really helps with eye contact and motivation skills.
on 9 June 2009
These keep my son occupied for ages when we're in the kitchen at tea time. He moves them from one appliance to another and mixes them around at each so I have enough time to prepare dinner. They appear very durable as they have been dropped quite a few times.
on 20 July 2011
Six units separate and can be rejoined in different patterns. One is motorised and can be set to counter, off, or clockwise. Magnets fairly strong on fridge. It's possible to lock the cogs jammed but only so they don't rotate, simple to dislodge. Slight noise to it. My son still fiddles with it nearly a year on. Well made.
on 13 January 2013
My two-year-old likes anything and everything mechanical, but he loves these. My six-year-old nephew found them fascinating, too.

The set features a battery-powered drive cog which transfers its movement through the others. The pieces have magnets in the back so they can be placed and arranged/rearranged on any flat metal surface in the configuration of your choice. It sounds simple and it is. But it's fun!

A few things to note: say Cog 1 is turning 2 others, (Cog 2 and Cog 3) then Cog 2 and 3 shouldn't touch each other, too, or they jam - that's just simple mechanics. Make sure your metal surface isn't dented as that can misalign things. Also, the little purple-centred keyhole-shaped cog you'll see in the picture is designed to make a clicking sound. It does. Loudly. It also needs positioning well or it jams the rest up. Give it a wiggle.

My top tip is to find yourself one of those round metal sweet tins. Then you can keep the cogs in it and also assemble them inside it. In fact, I'm going to write to Tomy to suggest something similar.

Great toy.
on 23 May 2011
I bought this toy to keep my 2 year old son entertained and relatively safe in the kitchen, and it worked. I have it stuck on the fridge door and it keeps him amused while I prepare his food etc. The cogs fit well, the magnets are good, the noise be it a little loud is tolerable and the batteries last for ever. Good toy.
on 7 November 2009
This is really cool. We got it as a Christmas present for our little girl so she has something to play with when we're in the kitchen. Obviously she hasn't had it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how she'll get on with it- being as I found it so much fun. Most of the gear toys available have only 1 size of cog- which means after discovering the initial movement there isn't much else to learn about. This toy can be swapped and changed around to give lots of different combinations of movement and rotation, and looks fun too! Every kid should have something like this to play with.
on 6 June 2014
Cogs have always been something that I like. Different "intelligence" tests and games often have problems to solve about cogs, those that make your brain spin in a pleasant way. I hope my grandchildren will enjoy this - so far they have played with all kinds of ordinary fridge magnets and magnetic alphabet.
on 6 August 2013
This toy is interactive and my children love it.

From baby to early school years, they like it!

I have since bought another one for my nephew.
on 25 May 2013
Birthday present for a 2 year old. I was aware that it was for 3+ but the positive reviews which said with help a 2 yr old could use it, persuaded me. This went down very well and daughter is considering buying more cog sets. There was very little choice for that age group on Amazon when I irst looked but since then I have had more choices sent to me, which we will probably purchase from. if they had been available then, I would not have chosen this product as it is expensive compared to the others, which do more too.

See one answered question