on 27 September 2017
works well but there are better value options (slightly higher price for 50 test strips).

TIP I GOT FROM CORY FROM AQUAIRUM CO-OP (YOUTUBE): CUT THEM IN HALF LENGTH WAYS TO DOUBLE THE NUMBER OF TESTS.
22 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 November 2015
OK, they're not as accurate as some of the expensive bottle tests, but give enough indication, with minimal effort, that there is something wrong with the water in the tank. Does its job in a short time and really simple to use (which is just as important).
14 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2017
Having just set up a new aquarium, I have been keeping a close eye on my water quality. These test strips have given me the reassurance that I need when adding fish, and allowing me to safely care for them whilst the tank is cycling.

Out of interest, I compared the results from my liquid based 'master kit', and these strips proved to be surprisingly accurate. There were a few variances in the readings, but it gave me confidence that any results gained can be trusted, so long as they are not borderline. Besides, it's simply not convenient to be wheeling out the master kit and waiting 10 minutes for this and 15 for that, when a simple strip and 30 seconds can give me a quick indication on how things are doing. I have found the chlorine test to be especially useful when completing a water change, as I am a little paranoid about tap safe not doing its job properly!

All in all, a great investment for any fish enthusiast. Thanks for keeping my fish safe - Tetra!
on 2 June 2018
Firstly it was my own fault but I misread the listing and thought that Ammonia was included in the tests. It is not so probably the most important parameter when setting up an aquarium is missing from this kit. Secondly, you should check your local supplier because when I went in to buy some ammonia test strips, I found these strips at only £5! Again, this is entirely my fault and I should have checked the retail price locally before ordering but I am a sucker for a crossed out price and I genuinely believed the normal price to be £12.99!
Third, probably the 2 most important tests on these strips for an amateur aquarist are nitrite and nitrate. I personally found the nitrite test rather difficult to read as the difference between negative and 1ppm is tiny in terms of pink colour. The nitrate test is easy to read. I had my pH tested properly by a meter and the result (7.2) agrees perfectly with the strip result. The chlorine test is very useful since it allows you to make sure that when you treat water ready for water changes, you have successfully neutralised all the chlorine in it! All in all the strips are useful enough to me for me to keep them, but I will probably not buy them again.
on 17 May 2017
Bought these test strips as I'm slowly moving over from a community tank to a cichlid tank and wanted to make sure water was perfect before I made the transition. Wave the strip around in the water for a few seconds then remove for 60 and read results..

I was slightly sceptical before buying but results are exactly same as what I was told in the pet shop, so both can't be wrong!

The bottle has the entire indicator on the outside which surprised me and makes reading your result so simple!

10/10 would buy, and with 25 strips in a pack, there's great value for money!
on 11 November 2016
This is not a good quality product for anyone who really cares about the quality of their tank water and the health of their fish. I buy other Tetra products that work well but this one unfortunately isn't very effective. One of the most annoying aspects of the strips is how the dye from the colours drips and runs together with the other parts of the test affecting the results.

You'd think it would be easy to avoid but it's not and even though I tried with dozens of strips there was always at least one or two parts of the test that had mixed together. Also, downloaded the new My Aquarium Tetra app that uses your mobiles camera to take a picture to measure results automatically but that was another frustrating experience as it kept crashing and trying to focus. Once I finally got it to work I couldn't trust the results as they didn't match with the colours I had on the strip. Utterly useless experience! Hope Tetra improves the app soon as I think it's a brilliant idea just executed very badly.
on 3 May 2017
This test strip is so easy to use and it tests 6 important parameters all at once. Just hold the strip in the water for a few seconds, shake off the water, wait 60 seconds and then compare the colour change with the colour chart. It is easy to see if the 6 different values are within the OK range. Hold the strip the right way up when aligning it with the tube - the black mark at one end lines up with the black mark on the tube.
on 6 October 2016
Hmmm I ended up buying the API master kit as according to the various experts online these 6in1 kits are not entirely accurate and even though I had normal readings with this 6in1 test kit I lost three fish in my fish in cycle start up tank which was treated carefully with Tetra start up and water treatment and 20% water changes daily (94 litre tank). When I used the master kit the PH was higher than 7.6 which did not show on the test strips. Being a rookie I am not sure of this was the reason I lost the Madagascan Rainbow fish as I have two Albino Corys which are totally unaffected. I am sure this thread will attract some comments which I completely welcome.
on 26 July 2017
These are good because they provide one overview of all aspects of water condition. There is no point using individual test kits if the water is okay, that would just be a waste of time and money. Save the individual test kits to get more detailed results if a bad reading is given by the multi test strip in any specific area. Luckily my water has always been okay and I generally don't need to test, buts it's handy to have in case I need reassurance.
on 16 March 2016
I know these test strips won't give as accurate a reading as a proper test kit, but they do seem to be quite consistent. I suspected we had a problem with high nitrate levels in our tank, and these test strips confirmed it. When I took measures to rectify the issue, these strips also confirmed levels were returning back to normal.

These strips do not check ammonia levels, and the nitrite/nitrate readings fall within certain ranges rather than giving precise readings. This makes them more suited to quick tests on established tanks rather than closely checking levels in a new, uncycled tank.