Customer reviews

on 10 August 2017
It's DFD and Gerald Moore in Schubert.Do I really need to say anything else? Greatest lieder singer of all,a perfect accompanist,and some of the greatest lieder ever written.With libretto,too.I am an ardent DFD fan,as I am of Schubert,I have the Hyperion complete lieder,too,but it lacks one thing(although he does make an appearance,albeit small)......Dietrich Fischer Dieskau.Every time I hear Doppelganger...I'm reminded of just how incredible he was,and always will remain,as long as recordings exist.I've said plenty else,it seems...I only need add.your music collection,your life,will be enhanced with these discs.
on 31 December 2012
I knew I would enjoy listening to the three Song Cycles at my leisure having finally given up on casettes! I had not realized how clear and pure the sound would be on these recordings.
The songs are extraordinary and DFD is perfect - just voice and piano and an infinite variety of moods and tempo.

The 3 CDs are in individual paper sleeves with a superb booklet with background infomation and a full 'libretto' - all encased in a very fine small box. Most impressive indeed.

I do not claim to be knowledgeable about the finer aspects of lieder and their presentation but I can only emphasise the great pleaseure gained from litening to these CDs. If you are unsure then dip into Youtube and listen to one or two songs preferably in a quite moment without pressure of time.
on 19 May 2017
Wonderful singing and playing - astonishingly good value.
on 24 February 2018
Fantastic
on 6 April 2015
superb recordings of these cycles
on 9 December 2017
excellent
as expected and before time
on 9 January 2016
quite fabulous
on 27 April 2012
This delightful melodic set captures the essence of Schubert within these song cycles, creating a feeling of mournful wistfulness ideal for listening to on a cold winter's evening. The stripped bare nature of the recordings seem to generate an air of purity and clarity - maybe there are better examples as another reviewer states but I am not an expert, I just know that I enjoyed these recordings enormously.

Now look at the price - a bargain!
on 28 April 2015
This is a lovely set of discs. Fischer-Dieskau of course is deservedly a legend and needs no recommendation from me. For me Winterreise was the best recording, along with Schwanengesang. This recording of Die Schone Mullerin engaged me less, but was nevertheless exquisitely sung. Surely Dieskau was the greatest of them all and Gerald Moore was his perfect accompanist. A marriage made in heaven. Schubert is without doubt my favourite composer, and I've listened to a lot of versions over the years but this set stands up to them all. For three of the greatest lieder cycles Schubert ever wrote this set is amazing value. I've listened to each disc many times now as I work, and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the set. Buy it!
on 9 July 2014
replacing the original vinyl , listening again with pleasure after many years. A good buy and well priced