Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 March 2017
Good selection of well known trumpet concertos. Love it.
on 3 September 2014
I bought this because I'd heard part of the Hummel piece being played by a young girl on the TV programme 'Lewis'. Hearing it right the way through it's lovely, and beautifully played by Alison Balsom.
on 19 April 2017
Really good recording
on 8 September 2017
Wonderful
on 2 March 2009
The best rendering of Hummels trumpetconcerto I've heard. Alison Balsoms playing reminds me Maurice André playing..renewed. BUT I don't think this could have been possible without Deutche Kammerphilharmonie from Bremen.
Balsom and the orchestra are equals in the art of music, the balance is perfect.
on 5 July 2014
Great item
This is an excellent disc of four of the standard works in the trumpet repertoire, and the Haydn and Hummel concertos particularly are very fine works indeed. With her performances here Alison Balsom shows us why she has made such a stir in the musical world with her freshness, verve, tenderness and a beautiful tone. The lovely, sharp clarity of the sparkling vigorous passages is a joy but what I really loved most was the tender, beautifully phrased slow movements of both the Haydn and the Hummel concertos. It is here that Balsom shows her real control and unflashy virtuosity, and they are truly excellent. The orchestral playing is top-notch, too. Jonathan Freeman-Attwood's liner notes are well written and informative, and the recorded sound is excellent.

This disc confirms Alison Balsom as a musician of the first rank and is worth buying even if you already own other recordings of these works. It's terrific, and I recommend it in the warmest terms.
on 8 August 2009
When I purchased this CD I was not expecting it to be as good as it turned out to be. I have the two main works (Haydn and Hummel) played by Haken Hardenberger (who I belive has been a teacher of Alison Balsom), and I didn't think it was possible to improve on this, but I was wrong! Alison Balsom plays both works every bit as good, and manages to extract more contrast and tone colour from her instrument. It is Alison Balsom's disc which will played much more frequently than the earlier recording. Highly recommended.
on 6 April 2011
This is superb. The best rendering I know of this very difficult piece. Just listen to the tonguing! Alison Balsom is becoming the best trumpeter on the circuit.
Wonderful to watch too, if you're ever lucky enough to be where she's playing.
on 28 May 2010
Alison Balsom has it all - and good luck to her! I have seen her performing this piece twice now - once with the BSO and at the Last Night of the Proms in 2009. She lives every note and its a perfect rendition of the work.