on 17 June 2017
The dummy thermometer is the best thing since bread came sliced. The standard thermometer, though, stopped working after about 2 years. I know use an infrared thermometer and I would recommend that everyone does the same, because it's far more precise, durable and reliable.
on 18 November 2009
We have used this product since my daughter was born and always assumed that it worked properly - however, she became unwell last week and we took her temperature throughout the day using this product, which kept coming up with a 'normal' temperature reading. As the day wore on she became increasingly unwell and we had to take her to hospital, where the doctor took her temperature which came up as 39.2 - not good! I was baffled as our thermometer had given nothing like as high a reading as that, so there and then we used our Avent thermometer to take a reading infront of the doctor and it came up 37.7!!! Completely innaccurate, utterly wrong. This product was showing that my daughter didn't even have a temperature when in fact she had a pretty high one! I am so furious, and will be writing to Avent to complain. It turned out she had a chest infection all along. I wouldn't advise any parent to put their trust in this product at all.
22 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I purchased many Philips Avent products when my son was a baby and found them all extremely well made and easy to use, so this combined soother thermometer/stick thermometer doesn't disappoint on this score. The set contains an digital thermometer in the shape of a soother/dummy for use on babies 0-12 months and a standard electronic stick-type device for children 12 months plus and adults, so it's a useful set to have in the cupboard.

The instruction manual states that the soother thermometer needs to stay in the baby's mouth for 3 minutes, so I tried it out on my 7-month-old niece who's not a great lover of dummies, so she kept spitting it out despite my best efforts! Therefore the usefulness of this device very much depends on whether your baby likes the feel of a dummy in their mouth or not, but if they do, it would work brilliantly. Apparently it should tell you whether their temperature is normal by bleeping 10 bleeps in 10 seconds or a possible fever - 3 sets of short beeps in 10 seconds. The stick thermometer worked much better though - I was able to take my son's temperature with relative ease and it was very reassuring. Both thermometers are easy to clean too and the instruction manual is very through.

In summary, it's a brilliant idea and if your baby likes the comfort of a dummy in their mouth then this product will be perfect. If they don't, it won't work but the useful backup of two systems in one box is a very useful addition to a new parent's ever-expanding kit.
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having received this item I didn't expect to be able to review it for a while. Unfortunately my daughter had other ideas! Having attempted both thermometers, the dummy was infinitely easier to get a reading on. My daughter struggled against the standard one but did not notice anything different about the dummy and I was able to get a good reading. It's simple to use, requires only one press of a button and the result flashes up in seconds.

However, I do agree with the reviewer who said this would probably be better as two separate products. But looking at similar products in the shops, this package does give you a decent amount for your money and should see your child through for many years.
on 22 December 2010
when our 3 week old daughterr fell ill, we asked a friend if we could borrow their comventional thermometer, after listening to her screams of protest i figured there must be an easier way, so off i set out to look for one, and this is what we found!

its an amazing product really easy to use. if your baby uses a dummy all you need to do is quickly swap their dummy for the thermometer and if they dont the conventional thermometer is soft and flexable and wont hurt your baby's armpit when they start wriggling to get away from it.

i really cant recommend this product enough, its something every parent must have!
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Objectively, there is little to say about this set, positive or negative. Two electronic thermometers; one of typical form, the other mounted in a dummy. One goes in one end and the other: the other(not at the same time). They work at measuring temperature, which is what you want them to do. Our little fella doesn't take a dummy, so should we need to take his temperature we have another option.

5 stars, just for being exactly as described, though I struggle to get enthused about it.
on 22 December 2012
My 3month daughter has bronculitus and we brought this as our other one broke and it keeps reading between 35.2 and 35.6. So me and my partner tried it on ourselves and its showing around 35 still. And we are definitely not 35! Totally dangerous! I'm fuming at avent
VINE VOICEon 24 August 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sorry about the pun but this is a really great idea - as well as a normal thermometer, Philips have one which is integrated into a dummy which is a fantastic way of tricking your child.
I received this item on Saturday and fortunately (or unfortunately depending on whether you are in the same house or not as me!) my one year old is teething at the moment so is prone to waking up in the middle of the night. Now obviously it is not easy to work out what the problem is with children and also not recommended to jump to conclusions. Thanks to this rather splendid invention, I was able to ascertain his temperature quickly and easily and make sure there was no other reason for his distress, and able to make the necessary diagnosis (i.e. teething) and cure (teething ring hastily removed from freezer).
The contents of the package are:

1 standard themometer
1 dummy thermometer
1 dummy

Nicely packaged in a handy plastic case this is a great item and excellent to ensure peace of mind. I have used numerous Avent products and have found them all to be of good quality and design.
on 31 March 2012
I had bought this thermometer for my nephew as he was acting unwell, at first it was reading a temp of 38.1c he went down hill repidly but his temp only veried a few degree so we figured that he just had a common cold. When he finally started to go down hill rapidly we decided to call the doctor it turns out that his temp was 39.7c we were told to monitor his temp and notify them if it changed at al, we decided to use two thermometers to check his temp and the Avent temperature was making up random temperatures every time we took it. I would not recomend this product to anyone and think that Avent should recall them all as they are not a sufficient way to monitor a child temp accuratly!
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was so excited to receive this product, my 2 year old is perhaps not the intended market but at last a thermometer that can be used on a wriggly little person who hates anything being stuck anywhere. To date we have used two different digital forehead thermometers - both of which is wriggled away from and the latest one I find hard to get an accurate reading from anyway, a cheap strip that has been pretty much useless and there was no way we were attempting ear ones as he screams the drs surgery down anytime they try to look in his ears and that's when there are two people restraining him! One thing he will always do though (unfortunately) is suck a dummy. This would have been especially useful when he was younger or when he is asleep. For babies and young children I can't think of a less stressful way to take their temperature, brilliant product.

There were a couple of downsides, as we tried it when our little boy was wide awake, far from ill and maybe a little old for the product he did keep taking it out to investigate what was on the end of his dummy so we had to make a few attempts to get an accurate reading. The dummy itself is also of a particular sort and small people being the awkward things they can be if this is not the brand of dummy they usually use they not be too happy on putting it in their mouth (there is a normal dummy included in the pack for dummy runs - excuse the pun)

I was also impressed by the 'normal' digital thermometer included with the pack making it better value and truly suited for all the family.