on 18 November 2009
We have used this product since my daughter was born and always assumed that it worked properly - however, she became unwell last week and we took her temperature throughout the day using this product, which kept coming up with a 'normal' temperature reading. As the day wore on she became increasingly unwell and we had to take her to hospital, where the doctor took her temperature which came up as 39.2 - not good! I was baffled as our thermometer had given nothing like as high a reading as that, so there and then we used our Avent thermometer to take a reading infront of the doctor and it came up 37.7!!! Completely innaccurate, utterly wrong. This product was showing that my daughter didn't even have a temperature when in fact she had a pretty high one! I am so furious, and will be writing to Avent to complain. It turned out she had a chest infection all along. I wouldn't advise any parent to put their trust in this product at all.
on 16 April 2016
The durability of these are good as owned for 3 years and still working fine, although the dummy wasn't any good for my little one unfortunately he did mot take to it - it might be different to others though so please don't be put off from my experience. The dummy thermometer is good for babies but to small past 1+ as it doesn't seem to stay in with their suction, possibly due to heaviness of mechanism bit...the classic thermometer is great and used by all.
The picture is slightly different regarding to colour although this doesn't affect use.
Overall good product
on 22 December 2012
My 3month daughter has bronculitus and we brought this as our other one broke and it keeps reading between 35.2 and 35.6. So me and my partner tried it on ourselves and its showing around 35 still. And we are definitely not 35! Totally dangerous! I'm fuming at avent
on 22 December 2010
when our 3 week old daughterr fell ill, we asked a friend if we could borrow their comventional thermometer, after listening to her screams of protest i figured there must be an easier way, so off i set out to look for one, and this is what we found!

its an amazing product really easy to use. if your baby uses a dummy all you need to do is quickly swap their dummy for the thermometer and if they dont the conventional thermometer is soft and flexable and wont hurt your baby's armpit when they start wriggling to get away from it.

i really cant recommend this product enough, its something every parent must have!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I purchased many Philips Avent products when my son was a baby and found them all extremely well made and easy to use, so this combined soother thermometer/stick thermometer doesn't disappoint on this score. The set contains an digital thermometer in the shape of a soother/dummy for use on babies 0-12 months and a standard electronic stick-type device for children 12 months plus and adults, so it's a useful set to have in the cupboard.

The instruction manual states that the soother thermometer needs to stay in the baby's mouth for 3 minutes, so I tried it out on my 7-month-old niece who's not a great lover of dummies, so she kept spitting it out despite my best efforts! Therefore the usefulness of this device very much depends on whether your baby likes the feel of a dummy in their mouth or not, but if they do, it would work brilliantly. Apparently it should tell you whether their temperature is normal by bleeping 10 bleeps in 10 seconds or a possible fever - 3 sets of short beeps in 10 seconds. The stick thermometer worked much better though - I was able to take my son's temperature with relative ease and it was very reassuring. Both thermometers are easy to clean too and the instruction manual is very through.

In summary, it's a brilliant idea and if your baby likes the comfort of a dummy in their mouth then this product will be perfect. If they don't, it won't work but the useful backup of two systems in one box is a very useful addition to a new parent's ever-expanding kit.
on 22 May 2012
I have used both the regular thermometer and the soother with my 3-monts old baby and both work fine. The sother system is specially nice, as your baby keeps it inside her mouth all the time,which guarantees that the temperature is measured correctly. With regular termometers, on the contrary, if your baby moves a lot, it is not guaranteed that the thermometer wont move and the temperature wont be correctly measured.
on 19 January 2012
The soother thermometer can be tempremental sometimes it works and at others time it doesn't work which is a little annoying as purchased thinking it would be an easy way to check my daughters temperature.
on 31 March 2012
I had bought this thermometer for my nephew as he was acting unwell, at first it was reading a temp of 38.1c he went down hill repidly but his temp only veried a few degree so we figured that he just had a common cold. When he finally started to go down hill rapidly we decided to call the doctor it turns out that his temp was 39.7c we were told to monitor his temp and notify them if it changed at al, we decided to use two thermometers to check his temp and the Avent temperature was making up random temperatures every time we took it. I would not recomend this product to anyone and think that Avent should recall them all as they are not a sufficient way to monitor a child temp accuratly!
on 21 December 2012
I bought this thermometer set for my first baby. I thought it was very practical especially the soother thermometer. My baby was already three months old when I first had to use it. To my surprise it has shown less than 35 degrees whoever I used it on. It was de calibrated after 3 months of not using!
Not worth any money at all!! Disappointed with Philips.

Kasia, mum to Antoni.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Containing a digital thermometer, soother thermometer, and spare soother, this Philips Avent product is an ideal product for the modern parent. The thermometers are safe for new born babies and toddlers alike allowing you to safely and quickly measuring your child's temperature.

Both thermometers are easy to use resulting in a clear, easy to read and accurate result. They are also easy to clean making them ideal for repetitive use or to be used for more than one child.

The idea of combining a thermometer with a soother is brilliant and really makes the often difficult task of obtaining a temperature so much easier and straightforward.

I doubt anymore has to be said and I can't find anything to fault, this really is an essential product for any parent and offers peace of mind for a relatively low cost.