Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 July 2008
Being a fan of ABBA, when i heard that they were going to be making a Mamma Mia movie, i was absolutely thrilled. Nevertheless, i forgot all about it until they started advertising it recently.

The more trailers i seen for the film, the more i couldn't wait until i finally decided that i was building it up far too much..
The film was absolutely amazing...camp, funny, tearful at times, joyous!! Laughing and crying the whole way through.

Meryl Streep has always been one of my favourite actresses and she just excels in this soundtrack. Brilliant voice - wonderfully mature for the role of mother. My favourites from Meryl are Money, Money, Money and Slipping Through My Fingers.

This soundtrack is wonderful. Listening to it, i can play the whole film in my head. I was absolutely delighted to see them introduce "When All Is Said And Done" too - beautiful track from Pierce Brosnan. I've got to say, i'm not completely sure about whether i like his voice yet, but it's certainly growing on me. One of my favourite tracks on the album.

Amanda Seyfried has a wonderful voice - is this the girl from Mean Girls? Who played the ditzy blonde?
She excels on Thank You For The Music which i the hidden last track on the album, played at the end of I Have a Dream. Really beautiful version which would make Agentha proud i imagine.

Colin Firth is great on Our Last Summer - his voice i really like. Very English, proper, clean accent. Really suits the song.

Other favourites are Does Your Mther Know and The Winner Takes It All.

Only thing i would have liked to have seen is maybe a DVD clip on the CD to watch - would have been great! But i await the Mamma Mia DVD!
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2008
I was lucky enough to receive an advance promo copy of the soundtrack to the long awaited "Mamma Mia!" motion picture.

The movie cast provides superb renditions of these songs. There are no weak vocalists in this movie. All the actors did their own singing for this and it comes across quite nicely.

The film soundtrack is missing eight songs from the original cast recording, namely

Prologue (I Have a Dream)
Chiquitita
Under Attack
One Of Us
Knowing Me, Knowing You
I Do I Do I Do I Do
Waterloo (stage show bonus)

"Thank You For The Music" is replaced in the film by "Our Last Summer"
"Prologue (I Have A Dream)" is likely featured in the film as the prologue version of the song is heard in many promo spots and trailers for the film.
"Thank You For The Music" appears on the soundtrack as a hidden track performed by Amanda Seyfried.

The film soundtrack also offers the new addition "When All Is Said And Done" which does not appear in the stage show.

Amanda Seyfried (Sophie), Meryl Streep (Donna), and Christina Baranski provide the best vocals. Christine Baranski's vocals on "Does Your Mother Know" completely floored me.

I can't wait to see this movie! I have been lucky enough to have been selected to attend a pre screening on the movie on 9 July in the US. You lucky Britains get to see it beginning 4 July! It doesn't open in the States until 18 July!
55 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2008
Just when you think Abba's music cannot get any better --- It does! Thanks to Benny!!!! - he produced it. Musically; better than the originals!

But vocally - Of course the Swedish girls vocals are unbeatable, but when Meryl Streep sings "The Winner Takes it All" - and "Slipping through my fingers"- I get goosebumps all over my body - It is worth buying the CD just for these 2 tracks!!

A million times better than the Stage Show Soundtrack - although I miss "Under Attack" - why was it dropped??

Nevertheless - A must buy for all fans of Abba, Meryl Streep or Mamma Mia!!
My wife went to see Mamma Mia and since coming back has listened to the soundtrack constantly in the car.

My initial reaction was to not allow myself to enjoy it too much as it is just cheesy pop performed by film stars - but try as I may, I have to admit that half an hour ago I drove to the shops and listened to it, with the volume cranked on loud (but the windows firmly up).

This really isn't my kind of music, but despite any preconceptions - there are some really good performances on here of songs which are as infective as a virus.

Meryl Streep genuinely impresses with vocals that get the hair on the back of your neck bristling with her (generally speaking) gentle but incredibly strong voice. Everyone seems to be overly interested in Pierce Brosnan's singing 'ability' - and yes, he isn't going to carve himself a singing career. But he helps to bring this back down to earth, and at the end of the day - this is a fun musical, I could understand people feeling a bit miffed if he had a starring role in Mozart's Don Giovanni, but here in Mamma Mia - just accept it and enjoy it, he's not that bad - and it brings us regular guys one step closer to Bond!

In a nutshell: Abba is back in a big way at the moment. This is a portal to rediscovering some of the catchiest pop music of all time. It might be a bit cheesy, but there is a reason why this is so popular - it's actually quite good. This is a feel good album that will get the glummest face to open up and sing along, the melodies will embed themselves in the brain and force you to whistle them throughout the course of the day.

Damn them all! I didn't want to be stood washing the dishes tonight and humming 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' - but Bjorn and Bennie were melodically gifted geniuses and they've got me.
on 8 August 2008
I've been a fan of ABBA since they won Eurovision and never thought that I'd prefer any other singers other than Agnetha and Frida and still feel slightly guilty that I LOVE the singing on this album. Some words have been subtlely changed to adapt to the plotline and this is very effective and reminds you that you are listening to a story. I've never paid so much attention to ABBA's lyrics before and have been surprised that such poppy sounding songs can (sometimes) have such deep and descriptive words. I the non-perfect voices are very appealing - it makes the CD/film seem all the more real. The two surprises on the album are Meryl and Amanda - when Meryl sings 'The Winner Takes It All' you can really hear the emotion and Amanda has a beautiful, pure voice which is perfect for her character. And 'SOS'is wonderful, ok, Pierce may not be the best singer ever but I like what he and Meryl bring to that song.

My only gripe is they missed 'Waterloo' off the end. When that song was played in the cinema people were literally on their feet clapping and dancing! It was a great bit of fun and should have been included.

I never thought when I first started listening to ABBA at the age of 9 I would still be listening, and they would still be popular, at 43!
Ok lets be honest, if you don't like Abba, if you didn't want to see the film / stage show then of course you're not going to enjoy this (why would you?) but for the rest of us this cd is a wonderful addition to an incredible film.

Firstly, on the negative side there are a few songs from the film which haven't made it onto the CD which is a shame as it doesn't feel complete somehow.
However, to hear Ms Streep singing "The winner takes it all" is worth the album alone. The power, emotion and last note still gives me goosebumps when I listen to it.
All the male leads singing the lesser known "Our last summer" is a wonderful rendition and is sure to become a favourite song for those who may not have heard it.

My own personal disappointment is Pierce Brosnan singing "when all is said and done" which is my favourite Abba song and it has nothing to do with his singing skills, but they have slowed down quite an upbeat song and personally it doesn't suit the ballad treatment.

This album will have you singing along all the songs you loved from the film, and who knows, there may be a follow up CD with the songs they have missed first time around

Pure joy and pure ABBA fun
on 8 August 2008
My wife and friends have just been to the cinema to see this stupendous film. We have tried for weeks to book tickets but it has been sold out for sometime.

What more can be said about ABBA's music that has not already been expressed.

This film is fantastic and if you have not had the opportunity to see it yet, then my advice is take the time to go and see it you will not regret the experience you will have.

My friends and I were blown away with the performances and the way in which the music was woven into the film, as expressed by another review the song slipping through my fingers brought a wave of emotion over me as a parent of 3 daughters and their jouney into adulthood.

As soon as I returned home from the cinema I went on the internet and ordered the film soundtrack, I eagerly await its delivery, so I can mentally relive the experience.
After seeing the film I just had to get this soundtrack - just for the feel-good factor it inspires.

It's a truly remarkable soundtrack, the whole cast belt out the songs with such gusto and enthusiasm it's impossible not to want to sing along.

Loved all the tracks but especially those sung by the three ladies,
Meryl Streep, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski.
VINE VOICEon 4 August 2008
This CD is a must-have just for the simple unadulterated pop culture value. This isn't one of those dramatic instrumental soundtracks with titles like "Wedding March" or "The Emperor is Dead", but instead is a lot of fun, especially for people who have grown up singing every word that ABBA ever wrote.

The eighteen songs (17 + hidden track) are all familiar ABBA hits, and you'll find yourself singing along with the likes of Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Christine Baranski, Amanda Seyfried and others.

Some of these unlikely songbirds can actually carry a note (albeit not too far), and others will make you smile (You're a brave man Pierce), but there's no denying that this soundtrack would make a great stocking stuffer or just-because gift for your favorite baby boomer.

Tracks not to be missed (whether good or just rather ambitious) are:

"Honey, Honey" - Amanda Seyfried

"Mamma Mia!" - Meryl Streep

"Dancing Queen" - Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski, and Julie Walters

"Our Last Summer" - Amanda Seyfried, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, and Stellan Skarsgaard

"Lay All Your Love on Me" - Dominic Cooper and Amanda Seyfried

"Super Trouper" - Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski, and Julie Walters

"SOS" - Pierce Brosnan and Meryl Streep

"Does Your Mother Know" - Christine Baranski and Philip Michael

"Take a Chance on Me" - Julie Walters and Stellan Skarsgaard

"I Have a Dream" / "Thank You for the Music" (Hidden Track) - Amanda Seyfried

Buy this one just for fun

Amanda Richards
VINE VOICEon 5 August 2008
I had never seen the stage show, nor was I much familiar with ABBA songs (except for the obligatory Dancing Queen at every cheesy party). Seeing the film however transformed my perceptions completely - no wonder the show is such a worldwide phenomenon! I just had to get the soundtrack after that.

The actors are not the world's best singers (Pierce Brosnan leaves a lot to be desired), but their slightly amateur sound just adds to the feel-good factor that it doesn't even matter. I have compared the CD to the Original London Recording of the stage show, but still prefer the movie version. It is perhaps the fact that these non-singers are all trying so hard, that it just brings a smile to your face.

Among the cast, Amanda Seyfried is definitely the real unexpected highlight; her clear and piercing vocals are worthy of any singer (she could easily have a pop career) and are employed particularly well in Lay All Your Love on Me and Thank You for the Music. Honey Honey is also an infectious delight, which just makes you want to start dancing in your seat. Meryl Streep is also commendable - her rendition of Slipping Through My Fingers is worth a tear, and despite the somewhat shaky voice, her emotions in The Winner Takes It All trumps every other version I've heard.

Although I did enjoy every song, my personal favourite is probably Our Last Summer - Colin Firth does an excellent job here; while you can tell he is no professional singer, his sheer 'Britishness' and a rather John Denver-esque voice suits the song perfectly. The song's lyrics also carry a kind of nostalgia.

One small thing to note is that where there is some spoken dialogue within a song in the movie (for example, during Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! or Voulez-Vous), the soundtrack omits the speech so that it is just continuous music. It's not a huge thing, but it's something you'd notice if you compare it to the official stage show recording which does include those lines.

This musical is by no means the next Les Mis - it is based on pop songs, after all, and the at times meaningless or repetitive lyrics reflect that - but it is the ultimate feel-good show and so infectiously fun; it's impossible to dislike. All in all, a terrific buy - it will soon be among the most played of CDs among my collection. I eagerly await the release of the DVD.