Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 August 2008
... but some of Steven Wilson's projects are definitely an acquired taste. Bass Communion explores his more ambient side. I've got a lot of ambient music in my collection, and though I like some of what Steven does with Bass Communion, it's only mildy distracting. This is indulgent noodling really, which isn't to say it isn't without merit. But Eno was doing this stuff better a long time ago.
Molotov and Haze is four tracks, two loud, two peaceful. Track one, Molotov and track three, corrosive are the more angry ones. Both beginning with a wall of sound (one reminds me of being in a factory, the other as the distant sound of the council strimming the verges outside my house). Both eventually die away to peace after about ten minutes of drone.
Glacial and Haze, the more chilled tracks are just your typical ambient background shimmer, with Haze interupted throughout with an electronic vibration. Whilst they are nice enough, there's nothing monumentally outstanding here.
I am a huge fan of Mr Wilson. Porcupine Tree and No-man are right up there in my favourite bands list, possibly at the top. And I like his cover versions a lot (looking forward to the new solo album Insurgentes). But I'm giving an honest review here. This is run of the mill ambience that doesn't seem to offer anything that hasn't been done before. I actually preferred Pacific Codex (with its one note a minute minimalism).

If you've got into Porcupine Tree and are looking to check out other SW projects, I recommend you get into No-man (Steven Wilson with the wonderful Tim Bowness) - who are at least as good as the mighty PT.
VINE VOICEon 11 February 2009
Another outing for Bass Communion, the `ambient' project of Steven Wilson, the music is best described as drone with an absolute sense of apocalypse. Four tracks two heavy two light.
This is a great set comes in a replica LP sleeve, complete with inner protective sleeve, nice touch!
I can recommend this for fans of Bass Communions previous albums but would urge caution for the uninitiated. The albums need to be listened to and not put on as background music (its not).
on 28 August 2016
This is always going to be a Marmite moment. I don't like 'Molotov' and 'Corrosive', the harshness and monnotony are too much for my taste. However, 'Glacial' is excellent and I can find echoes of 'Veneno para las hadas', in the phased, ringing guitar sound from 'Insurgentes'. 'Haze' is harder work but has a subtle progression which demands more careful listening than would otherwise be expected. These are great for the entrance music at concerts for SW's other work and I can also see them used in film soundtracks. It's not singalong but it's still bettter then alot of other ambient music out there
on 9 July 2016
Great CD, if you like Bass Communion. But why would you pay £17.17 here, when you can get it for £7.00 (plus postage) from Steven Wilson's own site? stevenwilsonhq.com