Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 20 August 2008
I can't take seriously the claim that this is 'folk' music. Not even if we stretch the definition to take in the wildest realms of Nu-Folk could we see Noah and the Whale filling out the airspace of Folk on 2 !
To my ears,the band are somewhat reminiscent of groups like Talking Heads or They might be Giants. Definitely Indie Pop in style and content rather than folk.
Apparently they have been receiving a lot of play on Radio 1 ? I wouldn't know being over 12 and never allowing my ears to be defiled by such a hideous aural experience ! It would not surprise me though as the album is brim full of chirpy, frothy tracks which would perfectly suit the undemanding tastes of Radio 1 listeners and it's play it safe controllers and DJ's.
If Noah and the Whale were a food dish they would be Pizza and Fries. It fills a space for a bit but it's blandness leaves you craving more substantial nourishment !
on 1 July 2008
First off - I have not heard all the tracks on this album - but having seen them live (great shows!) and listened to some of the tracks a gazillion times (especially five year's time, Mary, shape of my heart) I can't wait to buy it - they are super fab.

A weird and wonderful collection of musical instruments (or every day objects that can make a noise), great tunes, funky words and vocals and they seem to be a great package - can't wait to see what they do next.
on 7 February 2014
It is a lovely cd. I was at Lowlands when they played and then I decided to buy their cd. It was a great idea
on 20 April 2011
Love this album and band.

It has a very upbeat sound, even if the lyrics are a bit artsy.
on 2 August 2015
Fantastic album, everything I expected. CD in really good condition and delivery very fast
on 28 August 2015
Noah and the Whale are my favourite, can't go wrong
on 4 November 2015
Awesome album quick delivery very happy
on 30 January 2016
Very average other albums are better
on 13 August 2009
Have to say I thought this was great, bought it without a clue (it was cheap and I liked the band name) great quirky music, his voice does have a folky edge to it, I wouldn't call it folk though!

Very happy, smiley music, that if you don't like it, hey it's not rubbish! It's just not to your taste, I think it's great!
on 19 March 2016