on 17 May 2011
Hi all,

I will write about a well-established problem with this gadget's operation, specifically the inconsistent image quality and the dreaded streaking most owners experience at some point. I'd like to help others get rid of this frustrating problem too.

So I got some good news on this. I've received my PoGo a couple of days ago and have been working on it to get rid of the unacceptable amount of streaking I suffered from the second or third print on.

Examining, testing, printing test pics, etc. I have finally come to realize the method suggested in the manual to clean the printing head/heat plate does not quite work the way it should. The fine dust stays in, being not a dust friendly design it messes up the printing performance. The streaking is almost always about the fine dust particles gathered on the heat plate, not about the paper however old they happen to be.

The trouble is a simple design fault with the springy pressure plate underneath the lid. It's supposed to apply enough pressure on the paper to both print clean pictures and to clean the heat plate with the blue lead paper that comes in each paper stack. Basically it neither quite covers the whole width of the paper nor applies enough pressure on the papers or the blue cleaning/calibrating cardboard to perform the cleaning action.

I have found a consistent solution for this that worked perfectly for me:

Always keep the blue cardboard calibration/cleaning cardboards when you open a satchel of papers. Turn the printer on. Open the lid, empty the paper bed, slide the blue paper towards the slot as suggested in the manual. Don't close the lid but hold the little switch on the opposite corner down that tells PoGo the lid is closed. The roller will start working with the lid open and you'll see it begin ejecting the blue paper through the gate. While its pushing the blue paper out gently rub over it with your finger in a left-right-left-right motion along the inside wall above the roller till the paper gets ejected fully. This is to apply some extra pressure so that the fine dust particles collected over the plate do get stuck on the paper, cleaning it. Then place the papers back and put a couple of (two or three) blue papers on top of the stack to increase the thickness of the stack, therefore applying some more pressure via the springy plate at all times. If the streaking is heavy (you got too much dust in the slot) do it more than once before printing anything.

As a final note, the top and bottom edges of the paper that are not covered by the breadth of the springy pressure plate inside are more prone to streaking so if you get those try a little bit harder with the manually assisted cleaning process.

And so, ideally, whenever you get a streaky print first go with the cleaning process with a ZINC paper with the bottom facing up and then a second run with the blue calibration/cleaning cardboard. And use a couple of blue sheets on top of your paper stack at all times when you insert paper.

I know it sounds like a hassle but it doesn't take more than another 60 secs to make sure the next print gets out properly saturated, vibrant and streaking free. And although at varied intensities this is probably a design problem all units will suffer from at some point. Replacing the unit won't make too much of a difference I'd guess.

Once you accept this little bump, the PoGo is quite fun and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit when it works the way it should! : )

55 Comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 July 2010
My teacher has a pink version and we use it in class all the time. WE all LUV it. I would recoment theis to absolutely anyone!!!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 October 2017
I absolutely love my little PoGo printer and it is great to pull out and surprise the kids at a family gathering when you can have them all snapping selfies and then just print them out for them to take home. Great little printer and so portable. The ink and paper combos are just perfect for travelling and you can get replacement packs pretty cheap. Just remember to leave the card on the front as the printer uses this to calibrate itself to each new pack of paper.
on 12 February 2018
on 18 October 2008
I have digital cameras, PDAs, ipods, iphones, laptops etc but I have never had a device as frustrating as this. The first thing you should be aware of is that it ships with almost no instructions - just a few pictures. You can try the polariod website but you won't find much more help there. There's a blue "smart sheet" you have to insert with the printer paper that says the printer will not work without it and chides you to keep it on the bottom of the 10 pack of paper - the first thing the printer does is spit it out so do you put it back in again ? I have no idea and neither will you whether you read the online manual or not. Neither is it clear which way up the paper is supposed to go. I'm going to try and get a refund on the basis that it clearly fails to live up to its promise of "Enjoy instantly, anywhere". Good luck !
88 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 March 2017
it isn't iPhone friendly, the barely broke, and it doesn't even print anymore. only used it for 10 photos.
on 17 February 2017
Pogo Would not print what was selected, came out one colour & no image. Seller excellent service & prompt refund
on 1 May 2013
Wanting a quick, efficient printer, I bought this one second-hand. So far it's been great; it's very easy to use and pictures print in a matter of seconds. I bought it to print out photos to add to my travel journal as I'm going around and it's been perfect. With that in mind, why is it only four stars? Let's break it down:

It's very small and light, small enough to fit in my bumbag which allows it to travel safely on airplanes
As another reviewer stated, pictures are not what you'd call professional quality but they're not that bad
It's extremely user friendly and compatible with a lot of cameras, including my Fujifilm.
Instead of churning out every single photo on the memory card, it allows you to select the ones you want to print.
The sticky backing means you can put photos wherever you want, although it's a bit of a pain to peel off sometimes.

The battery. As I said, I did buy this one second-hand, so it's very possible the battery's just running down, but seriously, if you're going to be printing often, then don't bother unplugging it as the battery will run down in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.

You can only load a few sheets of photo paper at a time. Not really a problem and with something this small it's almost to be expected, but if you're snap-happy like me, it's a little frustrating having to stop in the middle of each print job to refill the printer. Though that does happen with main printers as well...

I would recommend this, especially to those who want wallet-sized photos or are keeping a travel journal.
on 9 November 2009
This gadget is great at such low price but there is always a catch.

The 10 photos included with the camera have already expired for over 2months and the extra 70 I ordered from Bentham will expire in less then 2months time. I am still trying to refund my goods but my advise is to stay away from this company.
66 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 February 2017
A fun gadget but not as big as expected