Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£19.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 16 January 2011
An interesting film on Rodolfo Valentino's life but more important are Ken Russel's talent and Rudolph Nureyev gifted and brilliant. An extraordinary tango with Nijinsky.
It's worthwhile to watch it.
on 28 December 2016
Russell at his Best and well done to the BFI for issuing this DVD in such an excellent format with lots of editorial material. One of the Worlds Best ever Film Directors. It is also nice to see the BFI issuing his classic BBC Films again - Long Overdue. A must for all ken Russell Collectors.
on 7 June 2016
Much to look at, but Russels touch isn’t the best.
on 28 February 2012
I purchased this DVD to replace my very old VHS version of "Valentino". I am a great admimirer of the late Rudolf Nureyev and of Ken Russells films. The combination of both to tell the story of Rudolf Valentino during his last 5 years - rise to fame, difficulty in coping with it and untimely and sad death - is amazing. It is not always comfortable to watch being very explicit in parts and brutal in others but overall an engrossing film to watch with great performances from all actors involved. If you enjoy Ken Russell's productions and his dramatic approach then you will want this. However, I must stress that it is not for everybody!
on 18 June 2004
I gather the scathing review I've just read was by a non-Nureyev fan & felt I had to say something. Anyone wanting to see Nureyev looking absolutely beautiful throughout should see this film. For me, it's worth watching for the tango he does with Anthony Dowell alone! I saw this film when it first came out & enjoyed it then, as I do now, for what it is - one heart-throb playing another heart-throb! No, he isn't a great film actor & the script & storyline are somewhat "corny", but who cares? Let's look at the positives. There are some fabulous dance sequences & admirable performances by those involved, bearing in mind the aforementioned. So, don't let one bad review put you off - I'm very pleased to have it in my collection. Thank you and good night!!
on 15 August 2016
This is a superb DVD, excellent quality with amazing performances by Leslie Caron and Rudolph Nureyev amongst others!
on 12 May 2012
I was really surprised. It was a real masterpiece!!! The scenes were perfect and Ken Russell showed all his talent. GREAT!!!
on 5 March 2006
The only thing that can really be said for this film is that it proved Nureyev could act. I would like to see a new version of Valentino's life as it clearly has the potential to make a really good film - but this isn't it
on 8 December 2009
I tried to get this from HMV, but was told it was no longer available! I found it on Amazon, but had to wait over a month for it, but the wait was worthwhile.
I watched it on a projection TV with a 7 foot screen. I saw more detail than ever before. I'd had a crush on Michelle Phillips since she was in the Mamas and the Papas and seeing her in this was bliss. It captures the Valentino era perfectly and is an enjoyable romp.
on 8 October 2016
Excellent film with a good cast