on 29 May 2009
I've always fancied myself slicing away in the kitchen with my own mandolin, but some of the ones I'd seen in the shops were really pricey, and I wasn't sure how I'd get on with using one. However, this little slicer is 'grate!'(sorry!) It works really well, it's easy to clean and it even sliced a soft-ish tomato quite well. And all for a very reasonable price.
I'm delighted!
on 12 July 2009
Got our mandoline last week. Stylish packaging and lovely green and white machine.

Tested it on potatoes, onions, carrots and squash - works really well!

Cleaning and storing is really easy, as the stand folds down.

Very pleased with the buy. The one potential downside for some might be the limited features - it only does slicing with varying levels of thickness. But this is what I wanted, so works well for me.
on 21 October 2009
We've obviously been watching too much foody television, because my husband and I both developed a burning need to own a mandolin. We chose this one because the reviews were pretty good and it was fairly cheap, but it has turned out to be much sturdier than I was expecting. It's not going to replace a decent knife for softer things like tomatoes (or the pickled limes I was playing with) but it's fantastic on firmer things like leeks and onions. Being able to rest it securely over a bowl or saucepan to slice directly into it is brilliant too. And it washes up easily.
on 13 October 2009
This is a really handy gadget that will make preparing vegetables much quicker and easier. I can thinly slice an onion in under a minute and it works with lots of other vegetables. The folding stand has grippers on it so it's easy to use. It's got 4 thickness settings, which makes it really versatile and it folds away neatly so it doesn't take up much space. It's also easy to clean and goes in the dishwasher. Great for people who hate chopping up vegetables!
on 18 August 2010
Only lasted a few weeks. The plastic parts came unstuck (yes, they are only glued together!). Will not buy another.
on 3 October 2009
I have always liked salad but my biting power is not what it was and even super sharp knives could not slice onions etc thinly enough. This little gadget has resolved the situation quite nicely and quite inexpensively.
Grateful thanks to previous reviewers!
Just one complaint. The blade is not replaceable and it does become less effective within a fairly short time.
on 8 May 2010
Got this to slice potatoes as when I make dauphinois or similar it takes forever by hand.

Plus
It is very good value
It is easy to clean and folds flat for storage
It is quick and easy to use
You can easily adjust the thickness of cut
It comes with a finger protecter
It is fantastic at cutting soft veg eg cucumber
It does not feel flimsy or cheap

Minus
It does not cut 'paper thin' however it is good enough for every day use
It requires a degree of effort with hard potatoes

Despite these minus points this was a very good purchase that I would not hesitate to recommend. For me it means that after work I have the time to make a dish that I would previously only had time to make on a weekend.
on 3 January 2010
Definitely not a professional mandolin but it does what it's supposed to do. It slices and that's all...but does so pretty well. I tried slicing carrots and parsnips on all the slice thickness settings (there aren't many) and found that my only real disappointment was that this device cannot handle these vegetables when slicing them on the thicker side. Other than that, it's perfect for salads and day to day slicing needs. It's well built and easy to use/store. Glad I bought it.
on 1 January 2011
this is generally ok, the grip attachment is really really poor, grips very little and generally i don't use it - which means you can't go right down to the 'stub' of foods, or risk loosing fingers!

the blade, which works well is best on really thin slices, the machine tends to jolt about with thicker slices as there's nothing but your strength to hold it in place (while your using the other hand to move the food back & forth for slicing)

for thing slices (i use it a lot to make veg crisps) it's great, for thicker slices, use a knife or another machine
on 2 November 2009
I purchased the slicer thinly slice potatoes to prepare a potato gratin dish. Because of the type of blade which cannot be changed out, the potatoes cannot be cut paper thin, but are good enough for every day use. The slicer does best with softer vegetables, especially tomatoes. Would recommend this for the price, but don't expect professional grade quality.