Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Exclusive playlist - Elton John Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

VINE VOICEon 8 September 2009
I bought Snow Leopard when it came out and installed it on my laptop that night.
The install itself was a bit of a breeze, once you've clicked the 'no going back' button, the install doesn't require any more input. I've installed it on 2 iMacs and my Macbook. It took a little longer on the macbook, up to 90 minutes but was very smooth (although the progress bar hardly moves for the first 5 minutes or so).

The Macbook in particular feels a lot more snappy, with programs opening faster and the sleep and wake cycles much faster. The only downside has been program incompatibility, the following didn't work:Cyberduck, RapidWeaver, Cocktail, httpmail plug in and any 3rd party screensaver. Also the following require Rosetta which I don't want to install: Palm pilot software and Mac the Ripper . There are known problems with lots of Abobe progrmas, CS3 is incompatible as I understand but there are also problems with CS4, Aperture ans MS Word crashing.
There are newer versions of cyberduck and Rapidweaver, but still no Cocktail update.

So if there's anything critical to you, I would suggest holding off, especially Abode stuff, otherwise it's a good update - 'A new Mac in your Mac' indeed.
on 29 October 2009
I looked carefully at the technical requirements before ordering, and noted that it is listed as the complete package (not just an upgrade), for 5 licenses (in the same home).
I'm pleased to say it is just that.
Not only that, for anyone interested, I first performed an UPGRADE installation on my Mac Pro, from Leopard. It worked fine, as does all the software I use, all users were kept, all libraries (iTunes etc) kept intact. It took about 40 minutes and was trouble free.
Here's the REALLY good bit; I then put the disc into my MacBook Pro, which has Tiger on it. I'd backed it up, expecting this disc to do a clean install and trash everything on the target disc in the process. Not so; it too did a seamless upgrade, in about 40 minutes, leaving all documents and users intact.
Absolutely stonking value for a very easy and worthwhile upgrade. Microsoft should take note...
55 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2010
I run a late-2006 macbook (1.83 Ghz, 1GB DDR2, 320GB HDD), and have upgraded faithfully from Tiger to Leopard. I'd lost the original OS X install CD, I was worried I'd have to fork out £130 for the Mac Box Set. I've never really used iWork, and either way it's cheaper to get the three (iLife, iWork, Snow Leopard) at around £30. I couldn't just upgrade as I was installing a new HDD at the same time.

It works great on the new HDD, installing was much quicker than Tiger or Leopard (around ~30 mins once it started). The programs are the same, with most updates being already downloadable to OS X owners. However, this really is a worthwhile purchase, it's much faster than Leopard on virtually the same hardware, and for £40, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new macbook.

Also remember that if you want just to upgrade all the macs in your house, this is a cheaper option than the upgrade disc, as it has 5 licenses.
on 5 May 2011
I only installed Snow Leopard last night, on two laptops, a white plastic MacBook and a metal MacBook. Including all the updating, which was done mostly over wifi, the whole experience was about 5 to 6 hours but a lot of this is with leaving to chunter away by itself and also I tend to update one item at a time having been stung a few times in the past and never trusted to update all again! The install from disk alone was about an hour and twenty minutes for each computer.

The plastic one had 26GBs freed up and the metal slightly over 10GBs after installation. Don't know the reasons for the difference but having more space is brilliant whatever.

The plastic laptop was taking ages for logon but now it is super quick, blink of an eye fast. Whatever Apple have done it is brilliant. The metal has always been quick and can't see much difference yet.

I do recommend this OS at this time. I hope I still do in a few months!
on 25 October 2009
Not much to say except it just gets on with the job, in a faster, more efficient and space friendly way. We have 2 iMac 24s and 2 Macbooks - and so far have found no problems. Everything runs, including Aperture 2.14, Photoshop CS2/CS4 and MS Word + a whole variety of other software. Probably the only thing that won't work will be Age of Empires III, but then it wouldn't with the older version of Leopard. No great loss really.
VINE VOICEon 14 December 2009
First the good - it installs easily and relatively quickly. I did mine and my wife's Macbook Pro's in little over an hour. They now boot a little faster and shut off in a heartbeat. Apps seem to launch a bit quicker and I've got nearly 7GB of disk space back.

The Expose features are nice and Safari is faster, too. When I plugged in my printer it found the drivers straight away and was printing away in just a few minutes - I did think it was a bit odd that it needed new ones but it is supposed to be a feature so perhaps they had been updated. None of the apps I use were not compatible baring a plugin for Mail.

Now for the mediocre bits - unless you need the exchange integration or the enhanced accessibility (sight and sound changes for disabled access) it might not make that much difference; the quicktime changes I haven't noticed and apps like Safari 4 work on Leopard anyway.

Also worthy of note is that there have been reports of Guest logins wiping data; I disabled mine before starting which sorts it out. I'm sure a patch will sort it at some point, just don't use the guest account until you know it's fixed!

So, if you like to be up to date and/or your Macs need a bit of a performance boost then go for it - it's not a bad deal for a multi-Mac house which is why I've given it 4 rather than 3 stars. If the ups aren't on your list of priorities then I guess you can save yourself some cash for next time...
on 3 July 2012
Upgraded recently from Leopard as I wanted to access the Macbook App store. Product arrived bang on time from Amazon at a good price. Install went smoothly and everything seemed fine. However little glitches have started appearing in several processes and my computer does not seem to run as smoothly as before the upgrade. Certainly I am not convinced that it was worth the extra expenditure, as it is not going demonstrably faster as some have indicated and I am a bit disappointed with the App store. I am putting off upgrading again to Lion or Mountain Lion until I see how this settles down.
on 19 July 2012
The disc was sent in secure packaging and registered. Very good.
Upgrading my Imac from OS 4.6.11 was easy BUT Quick Time 10 doesn't recognize many of my movies, so I installed QuickTime pro from the additional programs folder. It was installed previously. However,still, some of my movies will not show the video even though they are encoded with H264. NOT good.
However all else works quite well though possibly a tad slower.
on 19 October 2012
Upgraded from 10.5.8 as finding problems with safari in particular and web sites that would keep reminding me that they would not work with my current browser. That seems to have been sorted now but other than that not much in the way of useful changes with the upgrade. Sorry Apple and I have been with you since 1990.
on 9 January 2013
Installed this last night on my 2.4ghz Dual Core 2 Imac on top of 10.5 leopard. Took about 1 hour & an extra 1/4 hour to update to 10.6.8. Very overpriced on here as on Apple's website you can buy 1 5 licence version for £21.00 including delivery. Ordered friday came Tuesday.

See one answered question