Customer reviews

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac)
Price:£35.00+ Free shipping

on 25 February 2016
it did good the job.
on 21 April 2015
Great buy, wanted just to upgrade OS and fix Panics.
on 11 July 2017
Glad to have 10.6.8 back again.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 July 2011
Having been using Leopard for a few years, I never took the plunge to Snow Leopard thinking I would miss it out and go to Lion. However, to upgrade to Lion you must access the App Store and be using Snow Leopard. Great! I therefore had to get this first, but for a small outlay, would be worth it.

After a 40 minute install, I then did the updates which were a few Mb in size, and now have an up-to-date OS. On the surface there does not appear to be much difference, however, once you start delving into the small items, you notice the difference. To start with the App Store icon is on the dock, right clicking a dock icon the menu is dark grey, Quiktime has been improved, the Application Folder has larger icons etc. But once you get into it, the small things tend to make a big difference.

My printer never displayed the ink levels on screen, now they do. You can set more variables in calendar, shut down is quicker, support for multi touch gestures (which will be more so in Lion), imprived security, faster load times, better space on the hard drive.

Overall, glad I took the plunge, even if it is only for a month or so before it gets upgraded again.

EDIT:
Just noticed that it is out of stock now. As Apple tend to discontinue older OS when a new one comes out, looks like I got it at the right time.
on 1 October 2009
Some nice improvements to OS, but as usual, a number of bugs spoil the pleasure. Toast 10 is messed up, my iMac doesn't awake from sleep every time, Appleworks 6 seems a bit sticky - these are the ones I've noticed so far...updates are slow to arrive. Fingers crossed.
on 5 October 2009
Whilst everybody likes their software to be up to date, some of your older versions of applications like Aperture will not run on the new platform and you will have to buy them again, it would have been helpful to know this before installing. Like all new Mac programming there are unresolved issues that will no doubt be ironed out in future updates, I suddenly found internet access very slow which I resolved by changing my network settings, a slow and painful process as I am not a 'geek', it would be worth looking at various issues that have come up on Mac forums before deciding to install. I would advise waiting for the creases to be ironed out before installing this version of Snow leopard. On the plus side it wasn't that expensive except for the time you may spend resolving problems!
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2009
Well, it's more of a makeover of Leopard than a full upgrade, but then Windows 7 is more of a makeover of Windows Vista than a true upgrade as well (IMHO).

This is a short review - the other two poor reviews were about Amazon's customer service, not about the Snow Leopard product, so I just thought I'd actually write something positive about the actual product.

Installation took about 40 mins on my old (white) MacBook.

Only thing I've found with Snow Leopard so far is that it disabled my Parallels 3.0 software - which simply means it's time to upgrade to Parallels 4.0.
Other than that, everything just works. Very happy with it.
on 22 March 2013
I wanted all my macs to have the same OS version having moved completely to intel based so I bought this however its not much of an improvement on Leopard, but it does allow the use of some new versions of my software.
on 6 September 2009
Good news to anyone who still has Tiger, Snow Leopard can be directly installed... unless you want to buy iLife and iWork '09, this is a cheap fantastic upgrade. However, for it to work properly, you will have to back up all of your documents, photos, and applications if needed, then transfer them back. Worth the time & effort!
44 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 September 2009
Snow Leopard is an evolutionary release that builds upon Leopard. It incorporates a lot of new technologies under the hood that allow Mac OS X to take advantage of GPGPU (using the graphics processor in everyday applications), and tools such as GCD (Grand Central Dispatch) that allow developers to take advantage of the multiple cores found in modern Mac systems. The kernel and all standard applications within OS X have also been recompiled as 64 bit on Macs that support it, so that they can perform more efficiently and take advantage of massive amounts of RAM.

It also features a lot of speed improvements (especially boot up and shutdown, install time, as well as general system speed). There aren't a lot of new end user features (QuickTime X is all I can think of), but Apple has taken a lot of time to refine the current features, productivity enhancements to the Dock (Dock Expose) and the Finder, and hundreds of small tweaks across the system that make little difference by themselves, but when grouped together make OS X that more enjoyable to use.

And at £23 I can think of no reason not to buy this.