Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 21 June 2017
Ive always loved this movie awesome
on 24 February 2009
Just a brief note (as there are no other reviews here for a re-release version!!). I got this film on rental (I'm not even sure how it got on my list in the first place, I got it and thought - 'why the hell...!!!' - must have been another one of those bored afternoons at work adding ONLY 4+ star movies to my rental list ha ha as you do...!!). Anyway I stuck it on half-heartedly tonight to keep me half entertained and WOW - loved it!!!!! Really raw and passionate. I love films like that. That don't spell it out for you. So tender and warm and funny even and quite explicit in places. But wow - I am soooooo going to buy this film. And it's truly rare I say that!!!!! Where has this movie been hiding for 8 years!?!?!? Buy it!!!! Wonderful.
on 13 December 2008
The only thing I can say for this is that it is not as bad as 'Death At A Funeral' or whatever the last great 'Four Weddings And A Funeral' rip-off was called. What is it with this genre of British film? Andie MacDowell seems to spend more of her life in ancient English churches than the Archbishop of Canterbury. If you think referring to an 'organ' is funny you may laugh once and watch it 'til the end but you'll feel hollow and used in the morning.
on 19 June 2011
Just watched this film as I bought it on video at a local charity shop three weeks ago for 50p. Not being able to sleep, 6.30 in the morning I decided to watch it and glad I did. It made me laugh, cry laugh cry and laugh again. There is tragedy (definitely not expected!) and comedic moments made more funny because of the three very good actresses playing the characters. The cover says a fab 'chick flick' and for once I could not agree more. Loved it so much I am now going to buy it on DVD,(used of course). Watch and loan it to your friends. I guarantee not a dry eye in the house.
on 10 May 2013
Having viewed this light hearted bittersweet DVD on a couple of occasions featuring three middle age women Anna Chancellor, Imelda Staunton and Andie MacDowell in a small English town meet weekly for a little ritual and swapped stories. When Anna Chancellor's character had a fling with a younger man. Only for the other women couldn't simply be happy for the couple's love life. In jealousy they promptly take it upon themselves to break up the pair, taking drastic measures which result in unintended outcomes, some happy and some tragic.
on 23 October 2004
This is a brillant, beautiful movie which is true to its word; it makes me laugh and cry. I can't believe this movie didn't do well at the box office!!!! Will definitely let all my girlfriends know about this movie.
on 29 March 2003
It may not be everyones cup of tea, and yes it's a bit of a chick flick, but I loved this. One of those romantic, dreamy comedy/dramas that is so easy to watch, although at the end there is an unexpected twist. It's escapism, set in a perfect Cotswold village with immaculatly dressed, attractive characters. The storyline may be a bit far fetched, with the gorgeous Andi McDowell struggling to find love but if you just want to sit back with a glass of wine and have a relaxing evening it's near perfect.
on 28 October 2014
This is when I first discovered Kenny Doughty! He's an actor from Barnsley who was seen as a love interest for Michelle in Corrie where he saw her naked. This film is very romantic about an older woman and a younger man.
VINE VOICEon 14 August 2007
Yes this is a chick lit film. Yes its a story of female friendship and the importance of friends. Yes the friendship survives the trauma - but, but but. That poor man! She is ashamed of him, hides the relationship from most people, doesn't defend him, and then, when - I won't spoil it - the bad thing happens - she continues to deny him, and I imagine, will for ever more. More than that, the friends who destroy what she had are still her bosom buddies at the end. Well shame on her. I was annoyed with myself for watching to the end - but then I kept assuming she'd come through, show a little honesty, take a position - I love this man so sod the lot of you would have done me!
A minor point - Ms McDowell is not the world's best actress - she does pretty well here but there are a few times when her lines fall so flat - Anna Chancellor and Imelda Staunton (and wossisname - you see even I haven't remembered who he is!) are great. In fact wossisname (wasn't he the big brother in Billy Elliott) is brill - what 40+ year old wouldn't want him!
on 31 January 2013
Found this DVD when I was sorting some stuff out,it was afree copy from the Mail on Sunday, about right!Started off ok but I think they must have got lost somewhere about 2 thirds the way through. The story ended up so ridiculous it was embarrasing.
I'm getting so sick of seeing films obviousley aimed at the American market, as if everyone in UK lives in beautifull houses in quant villages .Couldn't believe the smoking in every scene , seemed like an advert for cigarettes! Anyway, don't waste your time watching it, rubbish.