on 30 March 2015
This is a strange film: all atmosphere and characters, not much plot. The action takes place over a single day in deep winter in a small Scottish town and has four, mostly separate strands.

There is a mother and daughter whose relationship has frozen over, rather like the sea in the film. We watch that iciness begin to thaw.

There are two young lads playing truant from school. This is the most successful strand to the story for me. There's something genuinely touching about the mixture of child and adult in their behaviour and conversation.

There are two teenagers who begin a relationship. This is the least successful strand i think. The story of their blossoming love affair feels falsely heightened - an adult's nostalgia for adolescence, rather than the real, often messy and crude, thing.

And finally there is a strand involving two old ladies who make a hobby of attending funerals. This is a bit so-so, the kind of quirky-old-people story that seems to have been done to death.

None of the stories really go anywhere and in keeping with the winter setting the pace of the action is glacial; but that's partly made up for by the excellent acting. In the end though it's the bleak beauty of the cinematography that makes the most impression.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 November 2017
To be clear, this review is the soundtrack - not the film! Amazon seem to combine the reviews for both the film and the CD for some reason. The film isn't really my kind of thing and I haven't seen it, I purchased the soundtrack purely for the beautiful song 'Take Me With You' which Elizabeth Fraser sings. It's a lovely song and only available here, though the rest of the soundtrack is quite nice,too - lots of sweeping strings and instrumentals.
on 24 January 2017
This DVD arrived very promptly and as described. I was disappointed with the film. Although the scenic shots were magnificent I did not feel much response to the characters. I found the film disjointed and although the acting is very good it failed to convey the message which was that everyone needs to be needed. It left me with a wish for some closure for some of the characters e.g. the finding of the kittens by the two boys.
What happened to the animals.....etc.
on 14 February 2016
This is quite one of the most beautiful films I've seen even biased, as I am, towards the wonderful Phyllida Law and Emma Thompson. Haunting in it's portrayal of loss and new love. Scenery which, though stunning, will have you shivering with the images of searing cold. There is no plot as such, but in its quietness allows relationships to blossom between the various pairs of characters. Could be quite desolate but for the "two biddies" on a day out who add humour. Have watched this several times now and is a highlight in my Emma Thompson film library.
on 6 November 2014
This is a simply beautiful film: atmospheric, gentle, emotional, poetic: it really is like watching a poem, filmed.

Emma Thompson and Phyllida Law are every bit as good as you'd expect them to be, but the other performances are pitch-perfect too, from the funeral-hopping elderly ladies to the truanting schoolboys. And you'll be hard pushed to find a better portrayal of teenage first love. Love, loss, grief, loneliness, desire: the film captures them all.

The film set has won awards, and rightly so. Your fingers will tingle with the cold and you will smell the frost in the air.

Alan Rickman has directed a gem of a film. I found myself almost holding my breath as I watched it, and still thinking about it long after it had finished.
on 4 March 2016
Bought it most th remember Alan Rickman's great versatility and genious both in front of and behind the camera. This he has written the screenplay for and directed. No big deal? Well I love it. It is a great little picture made with both love and craft beyond what you normally see. I even bought it on DVD. No one should buy movies on DVD when a cheap Blu-ray player only costs under £100. Anyway it is not available on better formats - and now I have it to watch when I need good acting, direction and a - to be honest - somewhat hollow story...
on 8 November 2017
I had read several good reviews about this film which made me want to watch it. I found there was no actual story in the film, only following the day in the lives of several people with no connection to each other. I gave a three star because I felt the acting was good.
on 24 July 2015
Having read all the rave reviews I was disappointed with the performances in this film. Stilted and pointless dialogue which afforded little to the story. The winter Scottish landscape is not portrayed to any convincing standard and the 'frost' is 'sprayed onto the beach and rocks and was for me very unconvincing. Inconclusive too! One to pass on to someone who might appreciate it.
on 26 August 2016
Pretentious clap trap.. no colour, no story, terrible fake accents and poor acting from those who we all know can and have done better... No wonder Frances' husband died before the film started.. he was the lucky one.. after 15 mins of total and utter boredom.. its in the bin !
on 25 August 2012
Set in a small Scottish seaside village, the film explores the remarkable journeys taken by 4 unlikely couples in a single day.

Elspeth (Phylidda Law) and Frances (Emma Thompson) are wonderful as Mother and Daughter who go for a walk.
Alex (Gary Hollywood) and Nita (Arlene Cockburn) experience love for the first time as the result of a pie.
Lily (Shelia Reid) and Chloe (Sandra Voe) go on a bus ride and eat cake.
Tom (Sean Biggerstaff) and Sam (Douglas Murphy) are two schoolboys who skip school for the day and find a kitten.

The movie also has a most evocative soundtrack from Michal Kamen.

Buy this movie.