Year Of The Gentleman

Good album
on 20 April 2017
Ok
on 8 October 2011
I have to admit, being aged 50+, I had never heard of Ne-Yo. I heard the first song on this CD, Closer, sung by a live singer in a pub. I absolutely fell in love with this song. The singer sung it again at my request. The next day I did a search on 'youtube' for Closer. I found it and so then I knew it was sung by Ne-Yo. I decided to buy this CD just so that I would have this one track even though I did not know any of the other tracks. I was prepared not to like the rest of it. How wrong I was! It is currently my favourite CD, the one I always put on first. I would say it sounds (to me) like a mix of Stevie Wonder, Blue and Craig David. Very pleasant, catchy and easy listening. I would recommend this CD. I'm so pleased I found it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 March 2009
This is the first album by Ne-Yo that I have bought. My mind was made up after hearing "Closer" and "Miss Independent". So, although it was a bit of a risk having only heard two tracks, I am glad to say that my risk has paid off.
"Closer" opens the album, instantly drawing you in. The song is catchy and also classy.
"Mad", another recent single, is a beautiful ballady style song about not wanting to go to bed straight after an argument.
Other notable tracks include "Fade into the Background", "Single", "Miss Independent" (obviously) and "Lie to Me".
What I love about this album, and this may make me sound a bit like a prude, is that Ne-Yo does not need to resort to overtly sexual material or swearing in order to make good music. He has a lovely smooth voice which makes you believe in the sentiment that he is a gentleman. And, although like all girls I like a bit of rough at times, there are also times when you want someone a little more sensitive. Ne-Yo fits that bill!
on 4 December 2015
I admit that I first heard of Neyo’s music back around 2006/2007 with being previously familiar with some of his songs from 2006/2007 and the summer of 2009/2010. The reason; I was living in Mayport, Florida (Feb. 2005-Feb. 2008) and Orlando Florida (April 2009 to May 2010) during these times and Neyo’s music received heavy radio play (which I didn’t mind because many of his songs are good). Anyhow, Year of The Gentleman by Neyo has multiple superb hits on this collection that masterfully blend dance, pop, & R&B rhythms with Closer, She Got Her Own (feat. Fabolous) and Miss Independent. I’m lucky in the fact that my husband unconditionally loves me and intends to stay married to me for life even though I’m still in the process of embodying the qualities that Neyo mentions in Miss Independent. For instance, my spouse saw that I was seriously trying to pick up some extra cash when I was trying to come in on one of my off days from work (three days ago) and he saw that I was truly bummed out when my request was politely turned down. However, he was extra affectionate towards me after he noticed that I truly did try. The connection to Miss Independent by Neyo; my husband actually likes to be needed at times, but even he is positively receptive when he notices my attempts to legally bring in more money. Year of the Gentleman is perfect for those who enjoy dance/R&B mixes and/or are familiar with his songs Sexy Love and Champagne Life (due to the music vibe of Champagne Life being musically similar to Year of the Gentleman by Neyo).
on 31 May 2009
I must be at the age when I roll my eyes if I see a "parental guidance" sticker on a CD cover - and they are becoming more and more common. So how truly refreshing to find a beautiful album of fresh songs from a young man who celebrates the ladies in his life - no "bitches" or "ho's" on THIS album.

Not to say that this is nothing but romantic ballads! The women in Ne-yo's life have trials and tribulations to contend with. "Single" tells of the woman let down by her boyfriend but going out to a club anyway. "Miss Independent" is a modern young woman who knows what she wants, and where she is going. "Why Does She Stay?" has the man wondering how his woman can live with a man who does little round the house whereas the touching "Fade Into the Background" tells of watching a former lover get married and attending the reception - and realising you should not have let them go. "Mad" reminds us of the importance of kissing and making up after a row.

Every track is stunning and this is definately an album that will be played again and again - with fresh pleasure discovered at every listen.
on 26 September 2008
Ive never been a big ne-yo fan but thought id give this a go as there was a lot of hype about this album..wish i hadnt bothred now..i cant believe everyone raves over this guy..his songwriting isnt anywhere near the quality of the likes of Joe,R Kelly etc..theres 2 god tracks on here and the rest is just top shop bland rnb filler. Please save your money.
on 14 March 2010
Loving this! It owes so much to Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones, but hey, that is no bad thing. This has to be one of the best produced R&B albums of the past few years. Slick, smooth and sexy. Every time I play this I just can't keep still -I just need to dance and move to the beat. Always a joy to play it. I dare you to keep still when it is on. Even my boring-old-fart-husband taps his feet and asks "who is this again?". Great too for a working out at the gym.
on 28 October 2008
This album is immense, forget the singles you have heard and the mans image, the album tracks. The album is mostly made up of songs that Ne-Yo has been making with his mate usher and wycliffe from the refugees who is his dad. Track one tells of Ne-Yo's recent trouble with gambling addiction and O.C.D. that ended his relationship with Grace Jones. The last song is a fitting tribute to puff daddy who has recently been diagnosed with Chrome's disease.